Minnesota flooding, snow and quilting

Old October 5th 05, 05:21 AM
Dreamweaver

Default Minnesota flooding, snow and quilting

--
Whoohoo!
Dreamweaver

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath
of a buffalo in the winter time. It is the little shadow which runs across
the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
-- Crowfoot, April 1890

Old October 5th 05, 05:28 AM
Dreamweaver

Okay! I hit the wrong button! Anyhooo, Central Minnesota is receiving 3-6
inches of rain per hour in some parts and it's causing quite a bit of
flooding and it's still coming down! Northwestern Minnesota and North
Dakota will be receiving that nasty four-letter word that begins with an "s"
soon and I guess you all in Montana already have been "blessed!" Arrrgh!
OTOH, it's finally quilting weather. Pulled out an old Lone Star that I
started when I had very little clue what I was doing and worked on it
tonight! It felt great! For having "very" little clue, I did pretty well
back then. We'll see when I put the point together! ;-0!
--
Whoohoo!
Dreamweaver - stay safe out there.

Old October 5th 05, 04:01 PM
Susan Laity Price

If the point doesn't look right or won't lay flat just applique a
circle large enough to cover the bad spot and cut out the point area
from the back. Remember it is your quilt and no one says it has to
have a point in the center. Yours can have a lovely circle in the
center. If the circle is a little larger than looks right then
applique a design on the center of the circle.

This year I have been trying to do something with a few of my UFO's
other than toss them or mail them to one of you. I layout the work
completed so far and try to think of other ways to finish it. Some
bedsize quilts are now wallhangings. Thought a finished wallhanging
was better than an unfinished bed quilt.

At our quilt show in February we will have a mini quilt auction to
raise money for charity. They want to have enough mini quilts to offer
new ones each day. In the past no one bothered to bid on the first day
of the show because they knew someone would out bid them on the
closing day. October is my month to host the quilting bee. I am
gathering all of these partially finished projects and deciding how
they can be turned into mini quilts. The gals are planning to bring
their machines and we should be able to finish at least six mini
quilts during the bee. Of course I have way more than six unfinished
projects on hand so hopefully my fellow bee members will take home a
project or two. The guild goal is 75 miniquilts and as of our last
meeting only 11 had been turned in.

Your reference to the "s" word was not encouraging. I was raised in
the midwest and always liked a good snow storm but the older I get the
more interesting a retirement in a warmer climate sounds. My husband
was raised in Southern California and says he has been temporarily in
Chicago one more winter for the past 41 years. If the company demanded
that he work in the office every day I think he would retire
immediately. As long as they let him work from home so he can stay
inside away from the cold and snow I think he will continue to work a
few more years. We try to take a winter vacation to see a little
sunshine. Keep warm.

Susan

Old October 5th 05, 08:41 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Dreamweaver" wrote:

Okay! I hit the wrong button! Anyhooo, Central Minnesota is receiving 3-6
inches of rain per hour in some parts and it's causing quite a bit of
flooding and it's still coming down! Northwestern Minnesota and North
Dakota will be receiving that nasty four-letter word that begins with an "s"
soon and I guess you all in Montana already have been "blessed!" Arrrgh!
OTOH, it's finally quilting weather. Pulled out an old Lone Star that I
started when I had very little clue what I was doing and worked on it
tonight! It felt great! For having "very" little clue, I did pretty well
back then. We'll see when I put the point together! ;-0!
--
Whoohoo!
Dreamweaver - stay safe out there.

Quilting weather?? It's still over 90° here! If I waited for "quilting
weather" in this area, I'd only get a couple of days a year! LOL!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 6th 05, 02:19 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Same here, Sandy. But I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo, a grateful refugee from Minnesota

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old October 6th 05, 02:58 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Carolyn McCarty" wrote:

Same here, Sandy. But I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo, a grateful refugee from Minnesota

I agree, Carolyn, though I haven't lived in a cold climate since I was
about 5 -- over 50 years ago! g But my blood is thinner now and I
doubt that I'd survive anything but the desert.

Old October 11th 05, 03:05 AM
Dreamweaver

Quilting weather?? It's still over 90° here! If I waited for "quilting
weather" in this area, I'd only get a couple of days a year! LOL!

Tis, true, but around here the warm weather period is so short that to waste
even a few hours seems such a loss. I'm outdoors every and all chances I
get during the warm months.