Customer etiquette

Old February 22nd 04, 05:19 AM
CANDY CORRIGAN

Default Customer etiquette

Hi Everyone!

Please indulge me just a little. I work in a needlework shop and have just
come home from two really busy days, where classes were being held in the
shop. I have read many a post here about the rudeness of certain shop
owners and hope you will listen to a little bit of it from the other end.

Today we had 27 people taking two classes in the shop, 21 of who we also
served lunch, plus the normal busy Saturday load of regular customers.

1. Please if you are going to be in the shop for six hours, don't ask me
five time in the first forty five minutes if I have gotten the chart you
ordered from the back yet, when you see I am trying to get the other 26
students checked in and set up with kits. Give me a fair amount of time
before you start nagging. And please be a little considerate and don't
expect me to kit it up with a complete color change in obscure threads and
have it ready to leave with you that afternoon, when you know you will be
back on Wednesday to attend another class and have no intention of starting
it before then.

2. Don't bring your pet to class. I am an animal lover and I love when
customers bring pets by on drop in and brief visits. However a full
classroom is not the place to bring a nine week old puppy, no matter how
adorable, and it is highly presumptive to assume that everyone will love the
idea of his spending the day. (We sent him home with his father.) And just
so you know for the future, I love animals. our insurance agent has issues
with them.

3. If you have physical limitations or special requirements, please let us
know in advance and we will do everything in our power to accommodate you.
However, do not show up on the day of class and drag one of the big
oversized leather chairs from the stitching parlor into the classroom.
because it is more comfortable for your back if you are going to sit all
day. We have determined how many students we can comfortably accommodate
based on armless chairs and now that you are comfortably established several
others are not. They have paid the same fee as you and are entitled to
equal comfort. (I should mention that this is the same customer, who for
several years and until quite recently would visit the shop, trailed by her
husband carrying the wheelchair, in case she needed it, which she never did.
She was highly insensed when the insurance company turned her down for the
third new one in two years on the grounds that her condition didn't warrant
it. I know insurance companies are sometimes unreasonable, but since we
never saw her use either of the first two, we tend to agree with them.)

4. We want you to buy, the more you buy the happier we are. I am happy to
run a tab for you. However, please do not expect me to keep track of 10
different individual piles of stash left haphazardly on the checkout counter
and keep it straight what belongs to who. That is why we have those cute
little baskets at the front door, so you can accummulate and we can both ooh
and ah when you checkout and I can spread your acquisitions over the small
amount of space I have in which to operate.

5. If you want to call in advance to see if we have what you require before
making a fruitless trip, we will be happy to accommodate you. However,
please try to do it at an off hour, (late on Friday afternoon, before the
planned Saturday trip) especially if you have a list of 5 different threads
in 2-3 colors each.). I know you might not be aware of how busy this
Saturday above all others might be, but if you give me the time to check out
you list I might be able to recommend alternatives for some of the harder to
obtain threads.

6. If you are taking the two hour class in the front stitching parlor,
don't take it upon yourself to troop back to the all day class taking place
behind closed doors in the classroom and help yourself to their lunch
buffet.

7. If you see a class or a demonstration taking place in the middle of the
shop, please don't try to hold a conversation with a friend at the other end
of the shop by yelling over the teacher. Also, don't be offended if we
gently bring to your attention that the conversation you are having with
yourself if taking place at a high enough volume to accommodate your hearing
loss without turning on the hearing aids.

I am sorry if I seem ungrateful for the business, normally I love our
customers and privately laugh at some of their quirks, but it has been a
hard two days and all of the above really did happen.

Thanks for listening.

Candy

Old February 22nd 04, 05:58 AM
Karen C - California

In article , "CANDY CORRIGAN"
writes:

3. If you have physical limitations or special requirements, please let us
know in advance and we will do everything in our power to accommodate you.

I'll second that. As you all know, I am very free about offering my guest room
to all and sundry. Several times, we've gotten everything set up, and then it
comes out that one of the guests has mobility limitations and can't navigate
either the front steps or the narrow indoor doorways or the bathroom the size
of a cracker box. *You* know if you (or your travel companion) have a walker,
wheelchair, scooter (or whatever) ... don't expect me to guess that you need to
be told that this house doesn't comply with accessibility standards created 90
years after it was built.

I've also had visitors show up and only *then* tell me that they're allergic to
cats. At that point, it's a little late for me to do a complete strip and
sanitize of the room.

I've had dinner already on serving plates when a guest said "I'm a vegetarian"
or "I'm allergic to that". If I'd been informed before I started cooking, I
could have changed plans and put together a veggie stew or a non-dairy meal,
but now that everyone else is ready to eat, you can just settle for a package
of Ramen, which will cook up before the rest of us have to eat cold food.

The last person to pull that stunt on me tried to lay a guilt trip on me that
I'm a bad hostess. I'm a very good hostess -- I put a lot of time into cooking
something that I thought everyone would enjoy. A very bad guest failed to
inform me that I needed to make special arrangements for someone with special
needs, and I was not going to feel guilty because I didn't interrogate every
person "are there any dietary restrictions I need to know about?"
--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old February 22nd 04, 06:08 AM
Jenn Liace

"CANDY CORRIGAN" wrote in message
Hi Everyone!
snip
I am sorry if I seem ungrateful for the business, normally I love our
customers and privately laugh at some of their quirks, but it has been a
hard two days and all of the above really did happen.

Thanks for listening.

Candy

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Candy}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
All I can say is YIKES! I'm glad to hear that you've survived - at least
partly =) - and hope you can spend the rest of the weekend relaxing and
forgetting about the past two days.
--
Jenn L.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com

Current projects:
Firehouse Angel (aka Angel of the Morning - L&L)
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)
Ice Garden (Just Nan)

Old February 22nd 04, 07:44 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hallo Candy ,,, i think i would like to live near a shop like your`s
from all the things described ,,,, [which made me smile as we all know
`sombody` who behaves Just like that!!!]
Alas you are way too far for me . But keep on the Good work .
mirjam

Old February 22nd 04, 01:58 PM
s.whitley

Candy:

A lot of what you said you are correct example:

1) That the customer needs to inform you regarding special needs.
2) No pets do not belong in the shop, I love animals, but I'm not overly
fond of other people's pets, especially when I'm paying for a class to learn
something. Or even when I'm shopping, shop pets are OK as long as they
don't expect me to pet them or spend time with them. If I wanted to spend
time with a pet, I'd be home with my own.
3) Customers should not be re-arranging your class room to suit their needs
without prior discussion etc. However the class room should have been ample
enough to accomdate some changes, such as stitching lamps and/or floor or
lap frames.
4) Eating another classes meal without an invitation or offer to pay for the
service.
5) Piling stuff on on the counter, although I have to admit I'm guilt of
this too, but I don't expect the shop owner or one of the ladies helping to
remember what is my stuff and take responsibility for that myself.
6) Yelling is never acceptable in a shop, class or no class or anywheres
outside your own house (because we yell all the time, my stitching area is
in the basement and both my husband & I have bad knees, so the steps are not
something we run up and down easily).

However I would wonder if you have a class going on, why wasn't additional
help hired for the day? Surely the class had been planned for several weeks
of not months and the owner would have know it would be busy at least for
the first couple of hours while checking people in for the class.
Additional help would mean that there would have been someone there to pull
the chart from the back or kit up the special material. If I had been a
customer coming in to shop I would have expected you to pull the materials
for my project and have it ready for me before I left the shop, I really
don't think that was unreasonable for a person attending a class to expect
it ready before they left, especially if the class was 6 hrs. Maybe
stopping and doing it right that second was unreasonable, but having it
before I left? No.

My shop always hires one or two extra people (which "hire" ususally means
regular customers willing to work for shop credit at $5.00/hr) which she
knows she has a special event going on, or she plans the classes for after
normal business hours (i.e. Sundays or Thursday nights). One person may not
be doing anything other than running and fetching or cutting material.

I agree 100% people need to be consider of others, both sides, customers as
well as sales people and there isn't any excuse for bad manners.

Sandra

Old February 23rd 04, 03:19 AM
Suzanne

On 2004-02-21 22:58:23 -0600, S (Karen C - California) said:

In article , "CANDY CORRIGAN"
writes:

3. If you have physical limitations or special requirements, please let us
know in advance and we will do everything in our power to accommodate you.

I've had dinner already on serving plates when a guest said "I'm a vegetarian"
or "I'm allergic to that". If I'd been informed before I started cooking, I
could have changed plans and put together a veggie stew or a non-dairy meal,
but now that everyone else is ready to eat, you can just settle for a package
of Ramen, which will cook up before the rest of us have to eat cold food.

Good grief, I've been through that, and I'll never forgive my father
for that. This is a second marriage for me (for both of us), and I
used to live in MO with my ex. That was the only location we lived
where my family ever bothered to visit us, and I still say that was
just because it was a convenient stopping point on their travels. For
a short time after my mom died, my dad, brother, and sister-in-law
lived in FL and then moved back to CO. Dad and the others made
separate trips, Dad stopping one night and the others the next night
after Dad left. Since I didn't get to see my father much, I wanted to
fix a really nice supper for him. My ex bought an expensive beef
roast, and we fixed that with veggies and mashed potatoes. Although
the roast was supposed to be top quality and both of us were good
cooks, it came out almost as tough as shoe leather, even though we
didn't overcook it. I felt embarrassed as the three of us gnawed
through it, but Dad was kind and never said a bad word about it. What
upset me the most, though, was my brother telling me when he got there
that Dad was on a no-red-meat kick at that time. Why didn't Dad tell
me before he got there?! We would have cooked him anything he asked
for from a meatless meal to chicken or fish, and I could have been
spared the embarrassment of a tough roast. *sigh*

Old February 25th 04, 01:07 AM
Deb Milner

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:58:42 GMT, "s.whitley"
wrote:

2) No pets do not belong in the shop, I love animals, but I'm not overly
fond of other people's pets, especially when I'm paying for a class to learn
something. Or even when I'm shopping, shop pets are OK as long as they
don't expect me to pet them or spend time with them. If I wanted to spend
time with a pet, I'd be home with my own.

And, the folks that insist on bringing their pets everywhere they go,
apparently don't realize (or care) that there are people that are
allergic to animals. I'm not allergic, but have a friend that is very
much so.

My pet peeve is when in a class that I can't stay in, because another
person in the class has poured what seems like a gallon of perfume on
before showing up. I can't be around strong perfumes, they can
trigger an asthma attack for me. It's worse on an airplane, when I
*can't* leave, since the long walk down could cause problems......

--
Deb

WIP: How Great Thou Art (Leisure Arts Greatest Hymns II)
Old February 25th 04, 10:27 PM
Lori Coulson

"s.whitley" wrote in message news:6I1_b.366982$I06.3828109@attbi_s01...
Additional help would mean that there would have been someone there

to pull
the chart from the back or kit up the special material. If I had been a
customer coming in to shop I would have expected you to pull the materials
for my project and have it ready for me before I left the shop, I really
don't think that was unreasonable for a person attending a class to expect
it ready before they left, especially if the class was 6 hrs. Maybe
stopping and doing it right that second was unreasonable, but having it
before I left? No.

Really?! Boy that's some level of service!

All the shops I have ever dealt with expected me to get my own chart
(unless they were holding it for me, and then it was always in a
special bin at the cash register), pull my own floss and
embellishments, and choose the fabric. They will cut fabric for me,
but I've never expected a shop to kit up a chart for me. The only
exception is when I've bought something that is a kit, or from a shop
on the Internet that provides this service.

Besides I often choose to use a different color of fabric or change
shades of floss if I don't care for the ones the designer used. As
good as my local shop is, I don't expect them to be psychics!

Lori Coulson
Old February 25th 04, 11:26 PM
Karen

Lori Coulson wrote:
[...]

I work in a needlepoint/cross stitch shop and needlepointers, at least,
are quite accustomed to having a shop pull the threads for a project.
It's not a presumption on the customer's part at all, although we (the
shop) expect to have a reasonable amount of time to pull threads. Often
the customer will pay for the canvas and leave it in the shop so we can
pull for them. Certainly there are a lot of customers who choose their
own threads but it's pretty common to pull for them as well. Typically
it's for a painted canvas. The customer may specify what types of
threads they want/don't want but many like to have us do that end of the
work.

Now how about the customer I had in a bookstore who expected me to not
only lead her to each book she wanted but then cart it around for her
like I was her mule?

Karen E.
--
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example"

***Please remove "nojunk" from email address to reply.***