OT sort of, search engine question

Old November 28th 04, 08:12 PM
Carlinda

Default OT sort of, search engine question

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and you are all home
safe and sound with full bellies!

I have a question about search engines and don't have a clue as to where to
begin to find the answers. Can anyone give me some ideas as to where to find
info on how to get signed up with search engines, preferably the free ones?
I've done searches on Google, but got so confused I finally gave up. Any
suggestions on how to begin this quest would be most appreciated. Thanks
everyone.

Carlinda

Old November 28th 04, 08:25 PM
Mystified One

This might help. I got it off of Geocities (yahoo)

Basics of site promotion:

Get Listed - Most Internet users find the sites that they are looking
for through the use of search engines or directories. So to help users find
your site, you should try to get it listed in search engines.
Tell Everyone - "Word of mouth" can never be overrated, especially on
the Internet. Tell friends, family, anyone and everyone about your site.

Add Links - A very common way for Internet users to find a site is by
following links from another page. By having other sites link to yours, you
will undoubtedly increase traffic to your site. Sites will be more likely to
link to you if you offer quality content and you also link to related sites.

Also, look into webrings. They show people similar sites to yours.
You're looking for a target audience that is looking for what you've got.

If you've got a yahoo account, go to www.geocities.com and sign in
using your yahoo ID. Then look at site promotion. There's services you can
pay for, but I can't see why.

The new thinking now is that meta tags are useless. I added them,
just in case. But then the point is that I could be lying to you. I've
seen people do it, and it ticks me off. I've heard that using them is dead,
but they could be wrong.

You can find my site on google using a search for El Paso Quilter's
association. And it's only been up a month or so.

"Mystified One" wrote in message
signed up as in how? Do you want your site listed?

ink.net...

Old November 28th 04, 11:29 PM
Carlinda

Yes, I want my site listed. I've had my site up for awhile, but only my
personal contacts know about it, and I need more exposure than that.
Carlinda

Old November 29th 04, 04:53 AM
JoAnn Paules

Carlinda -

I maintain the website for my EGA region. We do NOT pay anyone to list us.
Google picked us up almost right away - after I out the word out to my
fellow members that I was making updates. You get ranked by hits so talk it
up girl! It's free - save your money for beads.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Carlinda" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and you are all home
safe and sound with full bellies!

I have a question about search engines and don't have a clue as to where
begin to find the answers. Can anyone give me some ideas as to where to
find
info on how to get signed up with search engines, preferably the free
ones?
I've done searches on Google, but got so confused I finally gave up. Any
suggestions on how to begin this quest would be most appreciated. Thanks
everyone.

Carlinda

---

Old November 30th 04, 12:16 AM
Deborah

"Carlinda" wrote in message
ink.net...
snip
Can anyone give me some ideas as to where to find
info on how to get signed up with search engines, preferably the free ones?
/snip

Hi Carlinda,

Go he
http://free-submissions-to-search-engines.com/

There are over a hundred search engine submission links here. Just follow
the instructions for each search engine and you'll be good to go.

You'll have to do each search engine manually - most do not like auto/mass
submissions. Some will ask you for a return email address to verify the site
and your email before they will include you.

HTH

Best,
Deborah