Swimsuit fabric scraps

Old November 9th 05, 05:57 PM
Julia in MN

Default Swimsuit fabric scraps

Can anyone use some swimsuit fabric scraps? They aren't big enough for
even a very small child's suit, and I'm not interested in making a
scrappy swimsuit , but I'm frugal enough that I don't want to throw
them if someone can use them. They're a lycra/nylon blend, and don't all
have the same degree of stretch.

Yes, I make my own swimsuits. It's about the only clothing I sew,
outside of pajamas for the grandkids. I do water aerobics and the
chlorinated pool water is really hard on suits. Sewing my own is pretty
cost effective, because I've got a pattern that is quite simple and
takes only about 5/8 yard of fabric, so I look for swimsuit fabric on
sale. I can do a suit in a couple of hours and usually try to do at
least 2 at a time.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 9th 05, 06:21 PM
Taria

Can't use the scraps but I am pretty impressed, Swimsuits are so
expensive and do easily get eaten up by the chlorine. Maybe I
need to be inspired here to try one next season!

Taria

Old November 9th 05, 07:19 PM
Julia in MN

Taria wrote:
Can't use the scraps but I am pretty impressed, Swimsuits are so
expensive and do easily get eaten up by the chlorine. Maybe I
need to be inspired here to try one next season!

I use Kwik-Sew pattern 2962
http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P2960_2983/2962.cfm
I make the racer back style. This suit has a shelf bra lining, which I
prefer and which simplifies construction; it probably wouldn't work so
well for a large-busted person. I prefer the clear elastic for around
the legs, neck, and armholes, because it is less thinner and therefore
less bulky. I like to use my serger for everything but topstitching the
elastic.

Old January 5th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Vandy Terre

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:57:06 -0600, Julia in MN
wrote:

Can anyone use some swimsuit fabric scraps? They aren't big enough for
even a very small child's suit, and I'm not interested in making a
scrappy swimsuit , but I'm frugal enough that I don't want to throw
them if someone can use them. They're a lycra/nylon blend, and don't all
have the same degree of stretch.

Julia in MN

Piece them together for underwear, toy balls for young children or pets, a body
pillow (rectangular 4 to 5 ft by 1.5 ft, filled with percolite), simple
Victorian style eye masks, a 'bag saver', soap bags for camping or dorm use.
Long narrow strips can be braided together and then braided into someone's hair.
Roll the small bits into beads and string as cat toys.

Just a new lurker. Not much into quilts, but do a lot of sewing for resale.
Hate throwing away any fabric and have made lots of odd things out of leftovers.

Old January 6th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TerriLee in WA

Piggybacking, because I didn't get the original post.

Julia - are they large enough scraps to cut a glove from? I make lycra
spandex "gloves" for the members of my pool (think billiards) team. If so,
I'd happily pay postage to get some new colors.
--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to reply

Fabric Scraps Betty in Wi Quilting 0 September 28th 04 02:57 PM
71 reasons to buy fabric David & Barbara Schmidt Quilting 3 September 3rd 04 04:57 PM
FABRIC SCRAPs 5 lbs worth FREE SHIPPING joan Marketplace 0 July 2nd 04 05:46 PM
Another use for fabric scraps jennell H Quilting 32 March 15th 04 05:51 AM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM