Who else had a Christmas disaster??! :-)

Old December 26th 03, 03:02 AM
MB

Default Who else had a Christmas disaster??! :-)

Well, almost a disaster...but it was only a cake! but I was making it to
bring
to a Christmas dinner...It was a pound cake but with 1/2 lb butter...6
eggs...
sour cream, egg whites beaten separately-and I hated to lose all that !!...
Actually Thanksgiving Day while I was putting
foil on the turkey to keep it from browning so much , I dropped some foil on
the electric unit in
the oven. It really glowed bright in that one spot and has so since then.
Of course, it waited until the cake had
been in 25 of the 75 minutes it would take to bake. I heard a pop..thought
it might be grease....opened the oven
and saw that spot on the electric element really glowing...on fire...!...and
then it quit. Big sigh!!!
My dd quickly thought of our convection oven......did a preheat while i
quickly closed the other oven door with the cake still in it.......and
finished the cake in the convection oven. It came out perfectly
!!!!...Mary.

"IMS" wrote in message
Got up this morning at 7:30 to get the bird prepped and in the oven.
Now, I don't know about any of you but I am absolutely in a daze first
thing in the AM, a real walking zombie. Well to make a long story
short, in my attempt to get some coffee made and also get the bird in
the oven, I sustained a major burn on my right palm. Ouch!! Talk about
throwing a wrench into dinner preparations. And, to top it off, the
roasting pan I put the turkey in ended up being too shallow and about an
hour before dinner smoke filled the house as the drippings overflowed
onto the oven floor! Thank goodness this is a new stove and I suppose I
should be positive and look at it from the perspective of now being able
to test the self clean feature. And, you know, it's really hard to
carve a turkey left handed when you're right handed...I'm so glad I
remembered the electric knife.

Thank goodness for all the help from the DH and DS and my other dinner
guests who pitched in to help the cripple....dinner was actually a
success.

Anyway to get back on topic, I just finished loading up one of my
Christmas gifts, EQ5 onto my computer! What a nifty program!! Guess
I'll work up some projects for the remainder of the evening because I
certainly won't be able to sew for a few days.

Anyone else have a Christmas day disaster?
------------------------
"Old quilters never die, they just go to pieces."

Old December 26th 03, 03:21 AM
Polly Esther

Mine was the cake too. My beloved cake pan is double-walled, just the right
size for the Christmas cake and has a lid that fits perfectly. I just could
not find it. Anywhere. Even looked in the drawer under the oven where I only
store dust bunnies. One year I had put it in the freezer full of cups of
water frozen for a hurricane threat. Not this year. Where in the world?
Finally, I remembered. I had baked a banana nut bread for DSIL back in
November. The cake pan went to live with him. Probably likes him better.
SO ! for the cake pan substitute, I had to choose between the drip pan
from a 1961 Ford pickup truck and the kitty litter box. Guess which one I
chose? Polly

"MB" wrote in message
Well, almost a disaster...but it was only a cake! but I was making it to
bring
to a Christmas dinner...It was a pound cake but with 1/2 lb butter...6
eggs...
sour cream, egg whites beaten separately-and I hated to lose all that

!!...

Old December 26th 03, 04:38 AM
CNYstitcher

Do near disasters count??? As I was preparing to cook my first ever
WHOLE turkey, I realized that I had nothing that it would fit into for
cooking!!! Of course, I thought that i had seen some of the grocery
stores would be opening late...nope, I thought wrong. So....before I
could start on a crying jag, DH started suggesting all different things.

We ended up lining the pizza pan with foil and cooking the turkey on
that...you know what?? It worked!!! DH said he had never had turkey so
moist...guess we will have to file this one away for future reference!

Larisa

Old December 26th 03, 05:08 AM
Polly Esther

What! You don't have a kitty litter pan? No drip pan from a pickup truck?
How do you young people survive? Polly

news

Old December 26th 03, 05:23 AM
hfw

ROFLPIMP!!!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

k.net...

Old December 26th 03, 07:37 AM
Jalynne

We were just sitting down to dinner, and i was in charge of pouring the sparkling
apple cider (everyone's been sick and didn't want alcohol). I opened the first
bottle and it bubbled over and spurted everywhere, carpet, kitchen floor, stove,
drawer, and tablecloth. Mom and I grabbed a bunch of towels and mopped up the best
we could...but the floor is still sticky. I'll have to get the mop out tomorrow and
scrub. The other thing that happened was when i was taking down the stockings from
the mantle, i accidentally bumped the creche, and the angel fell off and one of her
wings and one of her hands broke off. I think i can glue it, but i'm really upset,
since this is a brand new set. Mom also started developing a nasty case of the flu,
but she refused to rest (martyr syndrome) Oh well, i suppose it could have been
worse. Other than that we had a good time, played games, ate reasonably........
--
Jalynne

Old December 26th 03, 10:15 AM
Charlie

"IMS" wrote in message

Anyone else have a Christmas day disaster?
------------------------
"Old quilters never die, they just go to pieces."

Nope, we bought an off the bone turkey filled with stuffing. Much easier,
much more economical and much tastier. The lamb dried out a bit but the
beef was nice. Minor disaster with the carrots but everything can't be
perfect. Ooh, ooh I got the True Crime playstation game! Can't wait to
play that when I get home!

Charlie.

---

Old December 26th 03, 12:40 PM
Krysia Thompson

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 01:22:34 GMT, IMS
wrote:

[...]

my nutroast was quite horrible (recipe tested by SIL, recipe from
a newspaper...

children argued on Christmas Eve, which upset me rather a lot.
all ironed out later that evening

turkey breast stood on table right in front of vegetarian
children...

still can't find the Chrismtas spirit in me...

enough?

krysia
K.T. - starannie opakowana
Old December 26th 03, 01:22 PM
MB

Polly....I love that!!!......I, too, didn't find something i've been looking
for this year...and it is several
chalkware Santas that I've been sent and collected for a few years.
Haven't a clue
as to where they are !!!...I had enough decorations out but sure would love
to know where
I stashed them . Mary