How tidy is your work space?

Old December 11th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default How tidy is your work space?

On 12/11/08 4:28 PM, "pecan" wrote:

ellice wrote:
On 12/10/08 10:00 AM, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"
wrote:

Photographs of other people's work space:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7774965.stm

LOL - I can't even bare to look. Right now I have 3 workspaces. My office
- which has the new improved "filing in large shopping bags on the floor"
system. The desk itself is moderately cluttered, but only with my most
recent foray into battle w/ the IRS, and the auto repair shop.

The places I stitch most frequently - weeeellll, Down in the rec room - I
have a small card table adjacent to the sofa - which has the current
stitching supplies, references on it - so I can sit sideways on the couch,
with frame/stand in lap and work. However, there is a 6' table covered w/
piles of stitching in various stages, stuff to be put away, etc. It's kind
of messy - but not terrible - most things are in cases/bags, etc.
Downstairs here is a bit daunting, because I have a sewing area, with stuff
on my cutting table, stuff on the sewing table, bags of goods, a rolling
stack w/ quilting projects in the bins. Sadly, I have the furniture set to
put all this away in an orderly fashion. Cabinet w/ bookcase/open hutch on
top, but it has to be moved and stacked up - so in the meantime the goods
are all over. Plus, I also have a dresser which had been planned to be used
down there - but may be coming into the master bedroom. Long story.

I also have a "work" space in the family room - as my floor stand is there
w/ Twister set up. The Family room is also overrun by a large (6' X 8'X 5'
high) cube of stacked cartons which are waiting to be unpacke. So, my
stitching area is okay - just a small side table (from a stacking set) by
the chair I sit in most often when using the floor stand. Or, I hike it
around to the other end of the couch.

Anyhow - not neat right now - but, could happen. I do have the means - just
am overwhelmed by lack of inclination to straighten things up. That, and
being on a stitching binge to be prepared for my teaching on Sunday. And
being distracted by issues with car repairs and what else is left in the
world of impending doom. I cannot wait for this year to end 'cause the next
has to be better.

Ellice

Have you seen that x-stitch kit by Dimensions - Maggie the Messmaker?
It's on my 'wanted' list.

Catherine

Very cute. Only, as in all things with furfaces, I'd have to change it to
reflect Puckster. Who, actually is the cause of the large fur dustballs
(long, white, fluff all over). But, at least he actually does put his toys
in their place most of the time (they live in a dog bed he out grew).

Honestly, it's DH & I being undisciplined. I made him promise when we built
this house that we'd unpack, put things away, and then keep things neat.
But, we're still not all unpacked, and now my latest issue was him agreeing
that we should be done by the end of the innaugaration weekend - and that
once cleaned up, he'll keep up with the putting things where they belong. I
used to be a true keep the house very neat and clean person. DH's influence
as a bachelor for a long time has affected me - but I'm hoping to get back
there. OTOH, I've always had a messy office.

Ellice

Old December 12th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

We had a saying in the Royal Air Force -
"a tidy desk is a sign of a sick mind"
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old December 12th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
pecan[_3_]

ellice wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Have you heard about FlyLady?
www.flylady.org
I've belonged for a couple of years now, but what i need for Christmas
is self-discipline!

Catherine
Old December 12th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/12/08 12:16 AM, "pecan" wrote:

ellice wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Interesting. Self-discipline is definitely the key - to doing things that
you kind of want to do, but aren't motivated to start. For me, and DH, it's
overcoming the initial inertia. Once we start - then it's like a whirlwind.

Hope you get your self-discipline - we're hoping for that same gift!

Ellice