community colleges was Banned from the Garden!--verylongnowschool

Old July 22nd 03, 04:44 PM
sunflower

True enough Liz! Too bad Caryn didn't read some of these responses.

Sarah
"Liz Hampton" wrote in message
I'll second that, for sure. I got a degree from a four year college &

then
went to a Community College to get a degree for the job I really wanted to
do.

Also, here in southern Oregon the unemployment rate is amazingly high

since
the timber industry isn't what it used to be. Many local mature people

(40s
& 50s) now find themselves jobless and are learning new professions at the
local community college. I would hate to imagine where all of these

people
would be if Rogue Community College & those in other areas were not
available for them. With classes ranging from Truck Driving, to Diesel
Mechanics, to computers, to Business Administration and more, Community
Colleges are definitely NOT basically for kids who either can't get into

or
afford 4 year colleges.
Liz from Humbug

I hope that in Canada that means something different from here...
Here Community Colleges are basically for kids who either can't get

into or
afford 4 yr colleges.
No offense meant to anybody who attended one, I do know there are some
excellent ones around....local one excepted!

Caryn,

your statement is so stunningly offensive and ignorant that I don't even
know where to start. Community colleges are about providing education
beyond highschool to those who need it for a variety of reasons. Many
people who go to them go because the kind of training they need or want
isn't offered by four year colleges, not because they can't get into a
four year college. Community colleges often provide vocational training
(real estate, dental hygiene, metal welding) that one doesn't need a
four years to achieve.

In many systems, community colleges provide a start for students who are
place-bound and serve as feeders into the four year system so that
people don't have to go away for four years. In these systems (Iowa,
Washington, Wisconsin come to mind) students who start at community
colleges and then go on to a four year intitution for baccalaureate
completion do better on the whole than students who matriculate into the
four year institutions as freshmen.

Although the impression is that the best education is to be obtained at
an expensive four year institution, this isn't always the case, mostly
because one size education does not fit all. Expensive four year
institutions often have the best resources, but there are a lot of
pressures on the faculty to pay more attention to research than to the
students. Community colleges provide a wide range of services to the
communities they serve and often have the most innovative teaching going
on. For many students, the kind of attention they can get at a
community college is just the thing they need for those first two years
and that has nothing to do with money or smarts.

Elizabeth

Old July 22nd 03, 05:24 PM
Dr. Brat

sunflower wrote:
True enough Liz! Too bad Caryn didn't read some of these responses.

Faulty logic. You have no way of knowing whether she read them or not.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*barnacle-encrusted bitch~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 22nd 03, 05:30 PM
sunflower

Well ~ she seems to have an opinion on EVERYTHING - so I assumed if she read
them she'd post - but then again ~ once again she has been proven wrong so
it wouldn't surprise me to not see a response.

Sarah

Old July 22nd 03, 06:15 PM
Shstringfellow

my teacher
always said:

"If you have an opinion about everything, it shows you are interested in
everything and everyone. If you have no opinion at all, it shows you don't
care about anything or anyone."

I always remember a comment my teacher used to make to obnoxious kids-
"Be silent and people will think you're ignorant, open your mouth and they will
be proved correct."
That saying has come to mind a lot with some of the posts I've been reading
lately!
SueS
Old July 22nd 03, 06:22 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

sunflower wrote:
True enough Liz! Too bad Caryn didn't read some of these responses.

You didn't ask for my advice, and you can take it or leave it. However,
the first sentence was sufficient.
The second sentence was unnecessary and contributes to a lessening of
your stature.

Dianne

Old July 22nd 03, 07:59 PM
Caryn

True enough Liz! Too bad Caryn didn't read some of these responses.

Faulty logic. You have no way of knowing whether she read them or not.

she would rather assume the worst about me.

I am reading them now...AOL has been weird with posting messages...nothing new
there.

And I have apologized, because my statement was based solely on my own
experiences, and I did try to make clear in my first post that I knew there
were better CC's out there.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)