How many of you ...

Old March 23rd 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling

Default How many of you ...

How many of you wear your own jewelry, and which types do you wear?

Me, I only wear bracelet and earrings. I think I look silly in necklaces so
I don't wear but a simple small chain with maybe a bead or small
embellishment on it. I guess for this reason I don't make many necklaces -
but I make tons of bracelets. Strange huh?
When I look at my stash of bead stuff or just a gemstone bead, the first
thing that comes to mind for me to make is a bracelet. I always "think"
bracelet first, then maybe earrings to go with it.

How bout' you guys? what do you wear and why? Just curious is all...
wondering if anyone else has a hard time coming up with necklace ideas like
me.

Sterling

Old March 23rd 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Carla

I tend not to wear necklaces because of skin issues. So if I wear
something, it has to be long enough to go on the outside of a shirt
collar or turtleneck. I *might* wear something for special occasions,
but not regularly.

In the spring and summer, the bracelets come out I love jangly
things and cuffs and straps of all kind, but I don't wear them in cold
weather because I'm always in long sleeves (often two layers), plus the
coat, plus the gloves.

I have three holes in my right ear, two in the left. I almost always
wear three niobium studs in the top holes on each side, and all sorts of
dangly sparkly things in the bottom holes.

Cheers,
Carla

Old March 23rd 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling

Carla,

Since you don't wear many necklaces, do you find that you don't make many of
them either? That's the way it is for me... I just have a hard time coming
up with ideas for necklaces (original ideas) and tend to make many more
bracelets than I do necklaces or earrings.

Sterling

:

Old March 23rd 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vicky

On Mar 23, 12:22*pm, "Sterling" wrote:
How many of you wear your own jewelry, and which types do you wear?

Me, I only wear bracelet and earrings. *I think I look silly in necklaces so
I don't wear but a simple small chain with maybe a bead or small
embellishment on it. *I guess for this reason I don't make many necklaces -
but I make tons of bracelets. *Strange huh?
When I look at my stash of bead stuff or just a gemstone bead, the first
thing that comes to mind for me to make is a bracelet. *I always "think"
bracelet first, then maybe earrings to go with it.

How bout' you guys? *what do you wear and why? * Just curious is all....
wondering if anyone else has a hard time coming up with necklace ideas like
me.

Sterling

Yes I do wear my stuff but not enough after years of being a Nurse I
wasn't in the habit of wearing it But i too like bracelets the best or
i wear new designs to "try " them out to be sure there isnt a problem
after all I dont want the design to come back when i didn't make it
strong enough to stand every day living! I will wear necklaces and
bracelets but seldom remember earrings and i dont make them as much!
Old March 23rd 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Carla

I actually make quite a few necklaces because they sell better than
bracelets. Not that I have so many customers or anything, but the ones
who ask for things on a regular basis prefer just earrings, or
earring/necklace sets.

Cheers,
Carla

Old March 24th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

I seldom wear bracelets. In the winter it's because of layering. Layers of
clothes: long sleeves, and a warm wool shirt or something, and then a jacket
or parka on top. It's just too easy to tangle, especially if it's a
jangle-y bracelet. In the summer, I still usually have layers, what with
mosquitoes, working in the woods, or covering to keep my skin safe. And I
tend to always get into things up to my elbows.

Indoors, I don't like the feel of a bracelet when I'm at my computer, the
kitchen, or doing art/craft work. The art gallery says they don't get much
call for bracelets either. Occasionally I'll make a watch to have a
"bracelet" to wear.

And I don't like long necklaces, because they can swing out and klonk on
something or get tangled. But I wear and make (and sell) lots of necklaces
about 18" long. They can be worn under a shirt or with an open neck. And
stone or lampwork will even keep your neck warm in cold weather. Even if I
leave them on I don't get tangled in them, but I have to make them sturdy,
because often I do forget.

I always reserve matching beads to make a pair of earrings. When I sold
clothes I often saw that customers would kick themselves for getting the
pants and jacket, but figuring the shell was superfluous. The only way to
get a matching set is to use the same materials.

I'm figuring the necklace length and the bracelet thing has to do with cold
weather and layering, and an outdoorsy life style here. We Alaskans tend to
be picky, more than fussy.

I think length and style are connected too. I like a harmonious piece
rather than something wildly dramatic. In a longer necklace that might get
boring. Also, in a short piece I can pack it full of silver and handmade
beads, etc. Very little "filler".

Tina

Old March 24th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Annie Bauer

I wear them all; necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. I have three bracelets
on at the moment on my left wrist. I made several necklaces yesterday, and
had one on today when I stopped by to see my oldest daughter at work. (She
is a plembotomist) The techs at the blood drive all commented on the
necklace, and my daughter said,"hey mom, I want one like that." I laughed,
because I had made it for her, but was test driving it to be assured that I
liked it, and that it was securely made. I like wearing my own creations,
but I also wear things that I didn't make. And earrings? Well, I wear three
pair at a time, and like others here I like the flash and sparkle.

Ooooh, long post for me.
--
Annie
acbauer@sbcglobal

Old March 24th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

I always wear my own designs. In fact, all my "good" semiprecious
jewelry except for rings, sits in the jewelry box.
I always wear one pair of dangle earrings, I don't feel dressed
without them. I usually wear a necklace, these days lampwork or fused
glass combined with semi precious beads and silver, and two or three
bracelets. I like wearing bracelets since I can see the beads as well
as wearing them to be seen by others. I put off making bracelets for
many years - issues with the different lengths, etc. - but now they
are my favorite jewelry item to make and they sell amazingly well.
Although I make fused glass tac pins and have a collection of pins, I
almost never wear any of them.
As far as rings go, I wear a Tanzanite wedding band on my lefthand and
usually at least one semiprecious ring on my right hand. If I'm going
out, I'll wear several more rings.
I work at a library and find patrons checking out my jewelry as much
as they come to check out books.
I think most people like jewelry, even men. I recently went to have a
consult for a medical test which I should have had several years ago.
I was worried that the doctor might give me a hard time about being so
overdue for it. All he and his nurse wanted to talk about was the
dichroic glass necklace I was wearing. Whew! Jewelry rules again!!

Patti
Old March 24th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

I try to remember to wear stuff when I'm out, but most of the time, all I
wear is a pair of earrings. I feel naked without earrings on.

I work for an arts program with kids one day a week, and the kids are always
checking out what I'm wearing, so I try to either wear or have something to
show them.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old March 24th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

I need to remember that next time I go to the Dr!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com