Help please

Old March 21st 05, 11:42 PM

Default Help please

You need to have water. Make a dam out of clay around the spot you want
to drill and fill it with about 1/4" of water. you also need to raise
the rpm's of the drill to around 3500. Use a little bit of pressure at
a time and not all at once. Drill, lift...drill, lift....take your
time. those bits aren't the easiest to drill a hole with. You might
want to think about taking the mirror to a glass shop and having them
do it.

Andy
http://www.neoglassic.com

Old March 22nd 05, 12:02 AM
figjam62

wrote in message
oups.com...
You need to have water. Make a dam out of clay around the spot you want
to drill and fill it with about 1/4" of water. you also need to raise
the rpm's of the drill to around 3500. Use a little bit of pressure at
a time and not all at once. Drill, lift...drill, lift....take your
time. those bits aren't the easiest to drill a hole with. You might
want to think about taking the mirror to a glass shop and having them
do it.

Andy
http://www.neoglassic.com

Indeed, the cost for a merchant to drill holes might be around $3 ea, much
less than new mirror glass : (
Of course, if you want to drill holes reasonably often, it might be worth
gearing up with a water fed chuck and diamond drill(s) as required.
Of course, you also need to modify a water collection point on the drill
press and drainage etc if using inside a building, and a horizontal glass
bed as large as needed for the size is also a high priority. goo take a look
at a glass merchants setup if you can.
With diamond core bits, you'd mark the back of the glass, drill half to 2/3
the way through, then drill from face side through to link them up,
otherwise shelling is going to occur.
Regards,
Les

Old March 22nd 05, 02:59 AM
Moonraker

I sure hope you are wearing some personal safety gear if you are planning on
continuing this "technique"!!!!

"Camoman" wrote in message
I am new to working with glass. I need to drill some holes in a
mirror. I have the spade glass drill dit. I am drilling at about 400
rpm in a drill press. I have the mirror on a sheet on 1/2 plywood. I
have tried twice very slowly and very little pressure with POP and 25
million pieces all over. What am I doing wrong? I have been told go
slow and almost no pressure on drill. I live in Ontario, Canada near
massena NY. I have seen pictures of diamond hole saw bits, the are for
glass and ceramic. Are they the better way to go or the spade bit? I
don't have alot of luck when dealing with glass. TIA

Old March 23rd 05, 04:01 PM
Boner the Cat

what size holes and what thickness of glass. I drill around 1,000 yes I
said 1k holes per month!! all of my fused glass windchimes, dichroic jewelry
and large glass panels are drilled.

. ..