How many retailers do we have?

Old February 24th 05, 04:52 AM
Kalera Stratton

I, for one, do care very much about how my suppliers conduct business. I
learned to do business from a very ethical and very successful
businessman, and I both agree with and follow his principles of refusing
to do business with companies that screw people over... especially their
own employees. if you wouldn't mind emailing me the name of this
company, I would like to know. There are alternatives to every supplier.

Javahut wrote:
"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message

I'm a glass rod retailer...

Javahut wrote:

Lurking or posting regularly?

Many? Curious.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com

That's nice, let me re-phrase, and ask a hypothetical question.

You buy supplies and tools, including grinders, from a major supplier.
Should you care how he/she runs their company, as long as you get what you
order?

Let's go a step further, let's say this supplier has a very efficient, hard
working employee, that knows all the major customers and is responsible for
all his customers happiness, and has done an incredible job for say 24
years.

Policy at this company is that anyone that works for 25 years gets free
health care after retirement.

this supplier decides, now that someone is actually going to use that policy
and retire upon completion of the 25th year, fires this long standing
employee with 24 years 6 months time.

As a consumer or reseller, should we give a damn? Does it matter to us?
Should it?

If this supplier will pull this nonsense on someone they have known that
long, valued their work and results that much, and then stab them, why would
this person not do the same thing to their customers when its time for a
warranty reimbursement?

I heard this occurred, I do not know personally the parties involved,(very
well), but the conversation about the questions I bring up were discussed
between me and a retailer that let me in on the story. We hadn't come to a
consensus, thought it would be a thought provoking topic related to glass,
in a way.

It definitely relates to glass people.

Thoughts about the subject, and please, nothing about , "they should sue"
know that, but what about remaining a customer and can you trust the
supplier to follow through on any other promise?

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old February 24th 05, 04:54 AM
Kalera Stratton

Javahut wrote:
I generally post responses BELOW the message, so look there.

C'mon Boner, while that may have some impact on him, where a guy like that
values things is in his pocket, while he can heal from the baseball bat,
altho it may take a while, we, as customers, that is where my question was
aimed.

There once was a big uproar about clothing made in foreign sweatshops by
certain "brands", we , collectively, "we" don't much care for the way KFC
clobbers their chickens, all this is media stuff in the news and in the
papers on a national level, what about our responsibilities, and other
opinions are sought here, when such a thing as previously mentioned,
happens in our own localized business.

Goes to the general question, when such a thing occurs within a company that
we do business with, do we have any sort of repsonsibility to speak up,
continue on, or ignore it. It is HIS company to do as he pleases, but by
the same token, is his warranty on products any good? He could change his
mind on that too.

Anyone

Eh, sorry about the top-posting... I have my preferences set for another
group where top-posting is preferred, and I forgot to set it back. Still
looking for a newsreader that will let me side-post, and **** *everyone*
off.
--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old February 24th 05, 05:14 AM
Glassman

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..

"Glassman" wrote in message
in a way.

Without knowing first hand exactly what is going on, you can't really
make any assumptions as what should be done. If in fact the employee
was terminated just so as to not have to pay out any benefits then
he/she needs to talk to an attorney. If on the other hand, he/she has
been found to have been stealing for the past 24 years...then they're
out the door.

Andy

Andy makes a good point. People get screwed all the time. More often
they do the screwing to themselves. Business is business, but pulling

the
rug out from someone like that without cause is pretty tough to do in

todays
lawyer riddled society. It's not "On the Waterfront" anymore. I would

want
all the details from both sides before I pulled my dollars away from the
company. Bring out all the details you know Java, and let's get to the
bottom of this. We have leaders of industry reading this NG that can

make
difference.

The executive in question certainly knew the time line of this employee's
history. Dismissal of someone at this point in their employment only
months prior to a retirement is a CERTAIN lawsuit. I doubt that any
business man would be so flagrant and put his company at much greater
financial risk than he'd face by just honoring the retirement policy.
Personally, I think there's more to this than what any of us know.

Like, for example the employee going on "cruise control" and not doing the
assigned work because he/she is a "short-timer". Slackers get fired

whether
they have 2 weeks or 24 years.

The fact that you agreed with me almost word for word is astounding
enough! I think that by the time Java heard this, the sour grapes must have
set in good and solid. My guess is that he got a one-sided story all the
way.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old February 24th 05, 01:38 PM
Moonraker

"Glassman" wrote in message
The fact that you agreed with me almost word for word is astounding
enough!

Don't let it go to your head. That's just one time. May never happen
again.

Old February 24th 05, 07:32 PM
Javahut

OK folks, we are getting away from the point of the comment and the question
asked.

Don't assume that I am wrong about what I am asking, the word "hypothetical"
was included in the original post, the question was not about whether I am
right or wrong or even have all the facts of that particualar situation.

The question was about "us", as customers, WHEN we find the situation I
described. and to all those "doubting Thomases", I have been careful not to
divulge any actual information, names companies etc until I am sure I know
all the facts as presented to me, and the harmed person contacts me to say,
"Hey, go after this guy for me, embarass hell out of him," in which case I
will tell everything I know because I think it is rotten. Golden rule sort
of thing.

SO, back to the original question, assume what I have said did , indeed,
happen.

(I would be truely shocked and astounded to find that there was ANY
misconduct by the wronged person, but for our discussion, it is NOT included
in the scenario.)

Old February 26th 05, 05:08 AM
Glassman

"Javahut" wrote in message
[...]

Here's your answer Java. I would always continue to buy from the
company that does right by me. Business is business. I can't afford to take
up for every cause that goes on behind closed doors everywhere, and I'm sure
there are plenty more worse things happening at the local town stores we buy
from as well. My storefront is treated as a separate entity, like my
suppliers. Nothing personal.

Old February 28th 05, 02:30 PM
AL69

"Javahut" ha scritto nel messaggio
Lurking or posting regularly?

Many? Curious.

I have a glass gallery and I often lurk this newsgroup.

Alex

_________________
www.artofvenice.com
Murano glass gallery. Contemporary and classic venetian glass.

Old March 14th 05, 08:23 PM
Bryan

given the exact scenerio you describe, I wouldn't do business with the firm
as I would be convinced that they are just a short law suit away from
shutting their doors....if I DID do business with them, I would do
everything COD and I wouldn't buy anything which might require the continued
existence of the company.

Bryan "but then I'm paranoid" Paschke