Seiko watch question?

Old August 30th 03, 02:08 AM
Marge36

Default Seiko watch question?

We replaced the battery in a men's Seiko watch and in so doing tore the gasket
that went around the back. It is working well, but we would like to replace
the gasket and, if possible, insure it is as waterproof as possible (short of
sending it back to the factory.) Can anyone tell me where we might buy the
gasket, and whether there is anything else we can do to waterproof it?
Thanks for any help.
Marge Hoffman
Marge36
Old August 30th 03, 06:37 AM
Carl West

Marge36 wrote:

We replaced the battery in a men's Seiko watch and in so doing tore the gasket
that went around the back. It is working well, but we would like to replace
the gasket and, if possible, insure it is as waterproof as possible (short of
sending it back to the factory.) Can anyone tell me where we might buy the
gasket, and whether there is anything else we can do to waterproof it?

Find a place that specializes in watch repair.

I work at Sudden Service where we repair jewelry and watches while our customers
wait or shop in the mall. We stock a variety of watch gaskets and have gasket
grease on hand because eventually the rubber gaskets crap-out and need to be
replaced as part of a routine battery replacement. If you're going to be in the
business of replacing watch batteries, you'll want to lay in a supply of gaskets
(and battery hold-downs, and case-back screws, and tools for opening the
different styles of watch backs...)

Find a place like ours and they'll have what you need. Where are you?

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

Please update your address books with my new, correct address.
Old August 31st 03, 07:28 AM
Marggi

I will assume that you are not a jeweler, and that this is your own watch
you are refering to. In wich case you should take it to a jewler or
watchmaker. One who carries Seiko watches, and changes batteries would be
your best bet. They may carry the gasket (this kind of thing happens
occasionally, even to professionals) or they will have a watchmaker they
deal with who stocks replacement gaskets. The charge should be minimal, and
you are correct to worry about the water resistance of your watch without
this gasket. If you notice fog on the inside of the crystal, take it
immediately to the jewelers before the movement rusts. Best of luck, Marggi

"Marge36" wrote in message
We replaced the battery in a men's Seiko watch and in so doing tore the

gasket
that went around the back. It is working well, but we would like to

replace
the gasket and, if possible, insure it is as waterproof as possible (short

of
sending it back to the factory.) Can anyone tell me where we might buy

the
gasket, and whether there is anything else we can do to waterproof it?
Thanks for any help.
Marge Hoffman
Marge36

Making the watch face removable, an idea Diana Curtis Beads 2 December 17th 04 03:13 PM
A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
AD: Watch Faces Marisa Exter Beads 2 April 15th 04 09:59 PM
Watch Band suggestions? Marisa Exter Beads 10 April 14th 04 06:40 AM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM