Pond Postage Question

Old April 3rd 05, 03:42 PM
Tina

Default Pond Postage Question

Ok, for all you die hard experienced swappers.... I have a question

I have only sent a couple of "squishy" related packages over the pond
so far, but they were just materially squishy. They didn't require
customs documentation and only minimal postage.

What if I send goodies or treats? If you send it via postal over the
pond, do you have to fill out a customs declaration for a treat? And
if so, does this change the postage substantially?

Just curious how you guys do it

TIA,
Tina

Old April 3rd 05, 07:40 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Tina wrote:
Ok, for all you die hard experienced swappers.... I have a question

I have only sent a couple of "squishy" related packages over the pond
so far, but they were just materially squishy. They didn't require
customs documentation and only minimal postage.

What if I send goodies or treats? If you send it via postal over the
pond, do you have to fill out a customs declaration for a treat? And
if so, does this change the postage substantially?

Just curious how you guys do it

TIA,
Tina

Hubby orders from a couple of Militaria companies in the USA, and gets
stuffed shipped to the UK, usually there are no problems as the parcel
is labelled as a gift, or has a low value... the last parcel
unfortunately was labelled as merchandise and attracted British VAT and
handling fees of £27.44!

The last parcel he had, there was a customs form on top - CP72 Customs
Declaration and Dispatch Note, which asks for a description of what the
parcel contains, gives options of Gift/Commercial Sample/Other eg
merchandise, and asks for a total value of contents and postage. Other
parcels I've received have just had a small green CN22 basic customs
form on top. The postage you pay is just that, postage... we have to pay
the VAT and additional handling over here.

If you are sending something as a gift to a fellow RCTQ'er, then as long
as you tick that its a gift and give it a nominal value, then you should
be fine - Used Fabric, Candy, 2nd Hand Quilting Book - you get the idea...

Want my addy?!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old April 3rd 05, 07:53 PM
Pat in Virginia

Ohh, slick one Suzie!! And since you asked, yes
you can e-mail me your snail addy.

BTW, the Sarfend decal is still on the window of
my quilting room!

PAT

....cut some shipping info...

Old April 3rd 05, 08:38 PM
Johanna Koski

What if I send goodies or treats? If you send it via postal over the
pond, do you have to fill out a customs declaration for a treat? And
if so, does this change the postage substantially?

There is/was a list what kind of items (treats) are forbidden to send to
USA. Atleast from here, Finland. In the list was bought goodies, cakes
etc. but not homemade eatable things...

But, what you should do is to stick the customs dec. to the
packet/envelope and tick the "gift" box. And put a minimal value. If I
order (or get) anything outside EU, I try to make sure it's less than
50 euros (except books) so I don't have to pay customs.

Everything has gone smoothly so far.

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski
Finland, Europe
Old April 3rd 05, 08:44 PM
Tina

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:
If you are sending something as a gift to a fellow RCTQ'er, then as

long
as you tick that its a gift and give it a nominal value, then you

should
be fine - Used Fabric, Candy, 2nd Hand Quilting Book - you get the

idea...

Want my addy?!

Hey, after providing all that information - you deserve a treat!
Thanks, and of course - send me your addy too! LOL

Tina

Old April 3rd 05, 08:47 PM
nzlstar

hi Tina,
'everything that is more than just papers being sent to the usa' has to have
a customs declaration, from nz at any rate and when i was overseas back in
the 70s the same was true from europe to the usa..
without it, its very likely to be held up while they do a check on it.
that 'costs usa taxpayers' unnecessarily when a simple green sticker with
value, contents and gift is such a simple thing to put on the envelope.
doesnt cost anymore that way from here anyhow. hell basic airmail for one
small envelope of just a letter/whatever costs me $2.50. i dont send cards
and letters much these days as a result. email is so much cheaper for me.
whewwwww.
so i'd think that sending from the usa to any other country would be a good
idea to put that customs sticker on it just to be safe.
fwiw,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Tina" wrote...

Old April 3rd 05, 10:17 PM
Kate Dicey

Tina wrote:

Ok, for all you die hard experienced swappers.... I have a question

I have only sent a couple of "squishy" related packages over the pond
so far, but they were just materially squishy. They didn't require
customs documentation and only minimal postage.

What if I send goodies or treats? If you send it via postal over the
pond, do you have to fill out a customs declaration for a treat? And
if so, does this change the postage substantially?

Just curious how you guys do it

TIA,
Tina

I cheat: I send fabric/blocks and chocolate buttons. I seal the
buttons up in poly bags, wrap that in the fabric, along with a nice
stiff card, and seal it up again in more plastic. Then it goes in a
sturdy manila envelop, and gets a label saying FABRIC SAMPLES I
ignore the chocolate contents. The time I mentioned it, all the
packages were opened and the chocolate removed, so now I sent 'stealth
chocolate'. So far it has reached the USA, Oz, and Canada, NZ and
Switzerland, Belgium and Scotland, all from the North Downs, and all
quite safe.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 4th 05, 12:19 AM
Tina

That's kind of what I was thinking myself Kate..... if the "treat" is
rolled up in fabric, it's not likely to get anyones notice anyway - and
if I plaster it on the packaging, then it's sure to get noticed and the
"treat" may never make it to its destination!

Thanks for the tips all! Just about "packaged" up for the weekend!

Tina

Old April 4th 05, 03:09 AM
Pat in Virginia

Mine has not yet arrived.
I even have a brand new post box out front!
PAT in VA/USA

Old April 4th 05, 03:16 AM
Tina

Pat - are you the package that has been sitting on my rolling cart?
LOL If you are, I am so very, very sorry. I have known for weeks that
I still owed someone a package.... I try to print out emails for
people that I know I want to send something to, or that I swapped
something with, etc. because with things being what they are these
days - my brains are pretty scattered. I really did think there was
someone I was sending that pack to but couldn't for the life of me
remember who, where, or why and couldn't find any corresponding email
exchange that went with it ?????

So terribly dazed and confused by tooth pain, medication and confusion
at this point - that I"m not sure I'll ever see straight again!

Tina