OT Christmas Stamps

Old December 1st 03, 02:17 PM
G.Kelly

Anna Maria - I know what you mean - we were there also in 1984 and did as
you did - fell in love with the country and the city. I had already grown to
love the Chez people as I had worked for a film company here for a few years
and everyone except me were Chezs - which is one reason we just felt we had
to see their country. We were privileged to return in 1991 - and Oh what
a difference ! We felt on a high all day to see the transformation. I
think it did me good to see it under the iron curtain though, to be able
realise what they had gone through and the joy of their release. God Bless
Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Anna MCM" wrote in message

G.Kelly wrote:

We managed to find a taxi and also managed to convey to him, without any

of
their language, that we wanted a budget hotel and he found us just the

most
perfect place right in the centre of the city. We went to pay him and
showed him German money in a large denomination and he accepted it and

gave
me a handful of change and when we had booked into the hotel and checked
the rate I had twice as much as I had offered him. I felt really bad as
he had been so kind and I thought that he must have mistaken the note for

larger one in the dark.

Next day we hailed another taxi ( too cold at minus 26 to walk too far)

and
he spoke some english and asked for german money saying that he would give
us a good rate. This we gave him and to my amazement he returned it
twofold. It seemed that this was the "black market" value - a free taxi
ride and double your money. So much for the stupid communist idea of
cashing the US dollars at the border - here we were two days in town with
twice as much as when we arrived !!!! Bye God Bless Gwen

Yes, you guessed right. The drivers applied the "black market" change.
It was the main "business" of taxi drivers.
I did that both in Czechoslovakia and USSR, I mean, I changed at the
black market, I donīt remember the rate). I didnīt want to give my
money to government. One could object that the money could go for not so
clear pourposes (even if usually it was for "Western luxuries" as buying
a fridge or a washing machine), but I felt more criminal giving money to
the regimes.
I was there in 1984 and it looked EXACTLY like one could imagine
Orwellīs book. I felt in love with that country anyway and returning to
Prague past year was a bit of returning home...

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old December 1st 03, 07:50 PM
Aud

Gwen and Anna Maria! I did not visit Prague till -95.
But after that, I have gone back four more times.

I use to take an express bus from Oslo.
That is an important part of the tour to me!
We alway meet lots of czechs who
are going *home* from Norway or Sweeden.

They have learned me lots about their country
and how it is to leave a country unwillingly!
Some of them left in 48, and many in 68.
They have family and *new lives* in SW. or Norw. now,
but have often parents, aunts , uncles or siblings back in Chech.

May be we should meet THERE one day?
AUD :-)

--

"G.Kelly" skrev i melding

Old December 1st 03, 09:28 PM
Anna MCM

Aud wrote:

Gwen and Anna Maria! I did not visit Prague till -95.
But after that, I have gone back four more times.
=20
I use to take an express bus from Oslo.
That is an important part of the tour to me!
We alway meet lots of czechs who
are going *home* from Norway or Sweeden.
=20
They have learned me lots about their country
and how it is to leave a country unwillingly!
Some of them left in 48, and many in 68.
They have family and *new lives* in SW. or Norw. now,
but have often parents, aunts , uncles or siblings back in Chech.
=20
May be we should meet THERE one day?
AUD :-)
=20

Ahoj Aud!

Don=B4t tell me twice!
Which better place than the heart of our continent for a meeting?

By the way, best wishes for a quick recovery to your King!

Na shledanou! See you!

Anna Maria

Old December 2nd 03, 07:00 AM
G.Kelly

Now Aud that is a brilliant idea - maybe it will come true one day - I also
have a wonderful Czech friend in Bludenz Austria - I will bring her along
too !!!!! God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old December 2nd 03, 09:01 PM
Aud

Ahoj, Anna Maria and Gwen!
Dobrý vecher! (My machine do not write all czech letters!LOL!)

This really IS a brilliant Idea!
Bring your friend, Gwen, and may be more of *us* will come!
At least a few who lives in Europe,
...and may be ELS is visiting Holland,
then she will certainly come!
...and may be some others from the US and Canada and Australia
want to join us!
Here we go! We are experts on tour planning!

I can see us sitting in the sun by the river Vltava,with view to the castle,
talking, laghing
and sipping to an icecold Becherovca! Na zdraví!

AUD ;-)

--

"G.Kelly" skrev i melding

Old December 2nd 03, 09:36 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Aud,

Make sure you take a picture of the castle and send me a copy for my DH.

Hugs,

Nora
Old December 2nd 03, 09:46 PM
Aud

I promise, Nora!
.... If not you and DH are sitting there too???
AUD ;-))

--

"NoraBalcer" skrev i melding

Old December 2nd 03, 10:10 PM
Anna MCM

Aud wrote:

=20
I can see us sitting in the sun by the river Vltava,with view to the ca=

stle,
talking, laghing
and sipping to an icecold Becherovca! Na zdrav=ED!
=20

Dobr=FD vecer, Aud!

I know a lovely fishermen restaurant on Kampa island (Mal=E1 Strana), not=
=20
so far from Charles bridge
Then we could continue on soldier Svejk=B4s beer tour :-)))

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old December 2nd 03, 10:26 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Aud,

Well, if we hit the lottery we'll be there.

Hugs,

Nora
Old December 3rd 03, 04:14 AM
CMM PDX2

You guys keep talking beer in Brno (and other places g - I just couldn't
resist the alliteration), I'm gonna come along! Lots of relatives stayed over
there when the rest got out in '68. Apparently because, somewhat to the dismay
of Dad's older brother and sister upon a visit later, *those* relatives were,
um, *deeply* Communist. LOL.

Anyway, I love beer, I could go for shopping for Czech glass beads, and I even
know a few helpful Czech phrases! Such as, "What did you say?", and "Please
translate that to English." bg Oh, and nazdravie, of course. (phonetic
spelling, there. Dad's family spoke Czech, albeit a 60-yr-old dialect, but he
never *taught* it to me, darn it. most annoying.)

Just keep the slivovitz. *Please*. That stuff is deadly. I was 12 in '68 when
Dad's second cousin and family came to visit - a month before the Russians went
in - and a bottle of slivovitz was one of the few things they could bring. Of
course we had to drink a toast right away. Lucky I didn't make the mistake of
sipping...but even gulping it down in one go, man, my sinuses nearly exploded!
I swear half of it evaporated as soon as it hit my tongue. *You* guys can drink
all the slivovitz. I'll stick to beer. )

Hey, shouldn't we be able to get some line flax over there???

Monica - somewhat more disjointed than usual from d'loading graphics for about
the last 7 hours...
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html