update on baby blankets...

Old November 2nd 03, 01:43 PM

Default update on baby blankets...

well, after struggling with the hancock's staff at the local store,
and getting nowhere, i called the headquarters to complain about the
rudeness of the staff (they don't recognize customers when they come
in or offer to help if a customer can't find something; i carried 2
bolts of fleece to the cutting table while the manager stood and
talked with a customer about an order the customer was waiting for,
then proceeded to talk about where they get their nails done--all the
while, i'm standing 4 feet away holding these stupid bolts of
fabric...the manager never ever looked at me...). when i explained
what i was doing and why, they told me no, they didn't give discounts
to anyone and if i wanted to buy binding, why, it was right over
there--get what i wanted...

so, the regional manager is annoyed that he's receiving complaints
from me and other customers about that store and sends me to
another...they give me a discount and $2 off more fleece.

THEN i find out that wal-mart sells the binding for $3.98 as opposed
to $6 at jo-anne's and $5.50 at hancock...

so, i've got 7 blankets bound, and 10 more to go...

thanks for all your help--the fleece binding looks great on jackets
and stuff, but just not delicate enough for babies...i also tried to
find a poly satin that would work, but no such luck--either too heavy,
too light, or dry-clean only...and WHAT A PAIN...i have no place to
cut out fabric away from my little ones' hands, and can't imagine how
much time it would have taken to cut up 5-7 yards of fabric into
strips and iron them...

next time i volunteer SOMEBODY SLAP ME!!!!! :-)

thanks again ladies, for all your help.
Old November 2nd 03, 06:51 PM
Marilyn

well, after struggling with the hancock's staff at the local store,
and getting nowhere, i called the headquarters to complain
snip
so, the regional manager is annoyed that he's receiving complaints
from me and other customers about that store and sends me to
another...they give me a discount and $2 off more fleece.

THEN i find out that wal-mart sells the binding for $3.98 as opposed
to $6 at jo-anne's and $5.50 at hancock...

snip
thanks for all your help--the fleece binding looks great on jackets
and stuff, but just not delicate enough for babies...i also tried to
find a poly satin that would work, but no such luck--either too heavy,
too light, or dry-clean only...and WHAT A PAIN...i have no place to
cut out fabric away from my little ones' hands, and can't imagine how
much time it would have taken to cut up 5-7 yards of fabric into
strips and iron them...

snip

I'm glad that Hancock's responded to your complaints. Also glad that
you found a good price on the binding at last.
In case you ever need to make your own binding or for anyone else out
there with this problem, I highly recommend bias tape makers. If you
ever tackle this sort of thing again, look into getting a bias tape
maker in the size that you need. They work so well and so quickly that
you can make yards in no time. If you use a rotary cutter and a good
long ruler, you can cut the strips you need very quickly as well. I
feed the strip into the bias maker, iron it as it comes out and I'm set.
I use them all the time, especially to make binding to match my
projects. No more searching the racks of cotton/poly bias tape looking
in vain for anything that comes close to what I need.
Of course, you would still have to find a washable satin which isn't
all that easy. And I know what it is like to have projects around
little ones. I didn't pull out my rotary cutters until recently when I
was sure my girls wouldn't get in the way of anything. You deserve a
big pat on the back for doing this project.
I've listed a URL from Nancy's Notions to show you what they are
like. If the URL is too long, just go to Nancy's or Clothilde's site
and search on bias maker.
http://www.nancysnotions.com/Nancys/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=41&gift=False&mscss id=7FB3C6C32C174820B59A7A2AC8ACDCC5

Marilyn in Minnesota

Old November 3rd 03, 05:56 PM
Penny S

spray painted on a boxcar:
[...]

why not just fringe them or machine blanket stitch them and save yourself a
ton of work?

penny s

thanks again ladies, for all your help.