emb.machine problem

Old October 13th 03, 05:41 PM
user78

Default emb.machine problem

I have a new Simplicity embroidery machine that worked fine the first
few tries, but now when i try to sew t-shirt embroidery (words and
numbers) the tension is not working properly and all you see is the
bobbin thread with very little top thread. i have decreased the upper
thread tension (and even tried increasing it), and rethreaded the
machine and the bobbin. it still doesnt work properly. I am using
soft light weight tear away stabilizer, but have also tried a stiffer
stabilizer. any ideas? thanks
Old October 13th 03, 06:10 PM
Pat

"user78" wrote in message
om...
I have a new Simplicity embroidery machine that worked fine the first
few tries, but now when i try to sew t-shirt (SNIP)

Sounds like you need better stabilizer. I always use a pretty heavy iron
on, or hydrostick. The top stitches sound like they are "burying" in the
fabric and pulling up the bobbin threads. If you have lightweight iron-on
try two or even 3 layers. You have to keep the t-shirt FLAT while
stitching, or bad stuff happens........hope this helps.

Old October 13th 03, 06:10 PM
nana2b

Hi, When doing T-shirt material you must over stabilize the fabric because
it stretches every which way. Use 2 layers of fusible polymesh (which can
be peeled away when done) and one layer of a medium weight cutaway. Hoop
the cutaway, spray with 505 spray and attach the shirt. If you have a
basting stitch use it to frame the area. You will be amazed what a
difference this will make. I have not had to adjust the tension so go back
to default settings and try again. Good Luck. If I can help further just
ask. Nana

Old October 13th 03, 07:55 PM
nana2b

Also one more thing, use a topping of some kind to keep the stitches from
sinking in. (Aqua film in one) NAYY

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old October 13th 03, 08:13 PM
I.E.Z.

"user78" wrote in message
om...
I have a new Simplicity embroidery machine that worked fine the first
few tries, but now when i try to sew t-shirt embroidery (words and
numbers) the tension is not working properly and all you see is the
bobbin thread with very little top thread. i have decreased the upper
thread tension (and even tried increasing it), and rethreaded the
machine and the bobbin. it still doesnt work properly. I am using
soft light weight tear away stabilizer, but have also tried a stiffer
stabilizer. any ideas? thanks

The responses from the other folks are good ideas and worth trying. But I
would suspect possibly your bobbin thread. I have the Brother 180D which is
pretty much the same machine I think. When I first started embroidering,
especially small letters, I was always getting bobbin thread on the top. I
went to a class and they had us wind bobbins with Brother bobbin thread.
Presto! No more bobbin thread on top! I also had good luck with lingerie
thread in the bobbin, but now I use prewound NEB bobbins. They hold more
thread than you could ever wind manually so there's less bobbin changing.
And the tension is perfect. I got mine from
http://www.terradonunlimited.com/ but many online stores sell them.

Iris

Old October 13th 03, 10:20 PM
Taria

Those classes that come with machines are full of great
tips. Always a great way to get your money's worth of
a machine.
Taria

"I.E.Z." wrote:

The responses from the other folks are good ideas and worth trying. But I
would suspect possibly your bobbin thread. I have the Brother 180D which is
pretty much the same machine I think. When I first started embroidering,
especially small letters, I was always getting bobbin thread on the top. I
went to a class and they had us wind bobbins with Brother bobbin thread.
Presto! No more bobbin thread on top! I also had good luck with lingerie
thread in the bobbin, but now I use prewound NEB bobbins. They hold more
thread than you could ever wind manually so there's less bobbin changing.
And the tension is perfect. I got mine from
http://www.terradonunlimited.com/ but many online stores sell them.

Iris

Majolica painting problem (cobalt paint recipe please ???) Nina Pottery 3 January 13th 05 08:29 PM
OTOT water problem Carolyn McCarty Quilting 10 October 11th 04 06:57 PM
Janome problem joysjane Quilting 8 September 20th 04 07:30 AM
Rug braiding problem Frankenmel General Crafting 0 February 3rd 04 06:44 AM
Fiskars, was Rotary cutter problem - revisited Jennifer Hepworth Quilting 2 July 21st 03 04:53 AM