Needles maybe

Old February 25th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
NightMist

Default Needles maybe

I _think_ I have a needle issue.

Once in a while my Pfaff 130 takes a fit and decides to wrap thread
around the spindle that turns the bobbin.

My usual response is to take her down, clean her out, oil the open
points, and change the needle. Sometimes that works, sometimes I have
to do it more than once and it works.

It has occured to me that I never have a problem when I am using a
specialty needle. My general use needles are just tossed into a tin
box (in their little plastic cases!) and live there in a happy jumble
of brands. Almost all my speialty needles are schmetz.

Am I going to have to start sorting my needles by brand? or am I going
to have to call my sewing machine guy for a tune up?

NightMist
ever thankful for a sewing machine guy that makes housecalls.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old February 25th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Mary Fisher

"NightMist" wrote in message

I _think_ I have a needle issue.

Once in a while my Pfaff 130 takes a fit and decides to wrap thread
around the spindle that turns the bobbin.

My usual response is to take her down, clean her out, oil the open
points, and change the needle. Sometimes that works, sometimes I have
to do it more than once and it works.

It has occured to me that I never have a problem when I am using a
specialty needle. My general use needles are just tossed into a tin
box (in their little plastic cases!) and live there in a happy jumble
of brands. Almost all my speialty needles are schmetz.

Am I going to have to start sorting my needles by brand? or am I going
to have to call my sewing machine guy for a tune up?

NightMist
ever thankful for a sewing machine guy that makes housecalls.

Spouse's machine was always failing, the service man showed him how to
transform the efficiency by clearing out the fine lint under the footplate.

He hasn't looked back since then.

Not saying this is your problem but it might help someone.

Mary

Old February 25th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

Stop treating your needles like so much trash. Do not commingle needles in
fact if you have used them for any length of time as in 6-8 hours of sewing
toss them. If you actually think they are still in good condition put them
back in the original container.
Take a look at this
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/needles.htm

--

Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
18 Dingman Rd., Sand Lake, NY 12153

Old February 26th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

Ron Anderson wrote:

Stop treating your needles like so much trash. Do not commingle needles in
fact if you have used them for any length of time as in 6-8 hours of sewing
toss them. If you actually think they are still in good condition put them
back in the original container.
Take a look at this
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/needles.htm

If you sew a lot, buy your needles in bulk. Good quality needles are
relatively cheap that way, and you don't feel the need to get every last
bit of service out of them. ;-) Look at what the machine cost, what
the fabric cost, what the pattern cost (if you use one), and what a
needle costs. Toss the needle, save the machine, fabric, pattern, and
your nerves.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old February 26th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
NightMist

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:10:42 -0500, "Ron Anderson"
wrote:

"NightMist" wrote in message

I _think_ I have a needle issue.

Stop treating your needles like so much trash. Do not commingle needles in
fact if you have used them for any length of time as in 6-8 hours of sewing
toss them. If you actually think they are still in good condition put them
back in the original container.

I never put general use needles back in the original container.
I chuck them into the sharps disposal tin. And I change them
regularly.
What I have in a merry jumble in an old maroon tin Singer box are
unused needles in their little plastic cases. Somebody has a sale on
I get some and tuck them in the box. I want a size 10 singer needle
for a project I am sewing on the singer 99, but can only get an
assortment that contains a 10. The packet(s) with the other sized
needles goes in the tin. etc. etc.
I have an old recipe box with dividers for storing packets of
specialty needles.

What I am wondering is are all universal needles really universal?

99 percent of machine needles available locally are Singer. If my
Pfaff just hates Singer needles, then I can just as well start mail
ordering all my needles. I already have to do that for specialty
needles anyway.

NightMist

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old February 26th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
NightMist

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:26:23 -0800, Pogonip
wrote:

If you sew a lot, buy your needles in bulk. Good quality needles are
relatively cheap that way, and you don't feel the need to get every last
bit of service out of them. ;-) Look at what the machine cost, what
the fabric cost, what the pattern cost (if you use one), and what a
needle costs. Toss the needle, save the machine, fabric, pattern, and
your nerves.

Actually I have been thinking of starting to do that.
For that I may give my service guy the option as he carries some
supplies, including needles, in his wife's shop.
Universals at least. If he told me he could get me fines for silk and
leather needles in quantity at a decent price, I might just kiss him.

Currently ten or so packets of needles at retail would cover what the
Pfaff cost me. Another seven or ten packets would cover her
introductory visit to the sewing machine guy. I wanted to make sure
that that linen timing belt was in good shape (it was).
I have been very lucky with finding sewing machines (G)
I do know what the old girl would cost to replace though!
She is gold and treated as such.
Matter of fact I will be going over her cabinet some time in the near
future with an eye to tightening it up. It is original and more than
fifty years has definitely taken it's toll on the hinges and where
they attach.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old February 26th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Mary Fisher

"Pogonip" wrote in message
Ron Anderson wrote:

Stop treating your needles like so much trash. Do not commingle needles
in fact if you have used them for any length of time as in 6-8 hours of
sewing toss them. If you actually think they are still in good condition
put them back in the original container.
Take a look at this
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/needles.htm

If you sew a lot, buy your needles in bulk. Good quality needles are
relatively cheap that way, and you don't feel the need to get every last
bit of service out of them. ;-) Look at what the machine cost, what the
fabric cost, what the pattern cost (if you use one), and what a needle
costs. Toss the needle, save the machine, fabric, pattern, and your
nerves.

I agree. Needles are disposables, if they weren't they'd be built in.

Mary

Old February 26th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

wrote:

[...]

Schmetz, Klasse, and Rhiein* are all German made needles and all come in
bulk boxes of 100 Universals in size 70, 80 and 100. I save about 7p a
needle buying them like this. I also look for the larger packs of
Schmetz jersey/knit needles. Almost all my needles come from these
three brands as I only buy the others if I'm desperate! I've had to
toss a whole pack of Singer needles... NOT a good brand in my book. I
use Schmetz in all my old Singer machines without a problem. The only
machine I may need to bu6y odd brands for is the old Jones Family CS,
which takes a needle size now only used in commercial bartack machines
and the like!

*I've only ever seen their needles in the bulk boxes: I believe they
make the Bernina brand and maybe also Elna.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 26th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:10:42 -0500, "Ron Anderson"
wrote:

"NightMist" wrote in message

I _think_ I have a needle issue.

[...]

Like anything else you get what you pay for most of the time. Schmetz is
about as good as it gets for needles. They will work in most all makes of
machine, are available in all matter of size and type.
I have never like the Singer needles personally but I do not sew I just
repair.
I without fail use the Schmetz in the European machines, but do admit to
using Organ brand for most everything else.

Old February 26th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

NightMist wrote:

[...]

I've got some machines like that. A Pfaff 360, for instance. It runs
like a fine watch, and didn't cost me $50, even having to buy a bobbin
case for it. Then there are the Singer 401s, 301s, 66s, 99s, and a
precious 115. I'm not crazy for the 128s and 129s, but I have a few. I
love the old machines, my husband likes the cabinets, which are really
fine furniture - especially in these days of MDF, plywood, and laminates.