T-shirt Necklines

Old October 5th 03, 11:04 PM
MLWCS

Default T-shirt Necklines

I have a bunch of women's t-shirts (the form-fitting type) that have high
necklines. I would like to lower the necklines, if possible - preferably
scoop and not V. I'm not sure how to do this (without stretching, puckering,
etc.).
Is binding necessary on these mostly 100% cotton T's, or can i turn under and
stitch? What type of stitch do i use?

Any advice would be appreciated. Used to sew a lot years ago, but lately
it's limited to a mending or altering.

Thank you.
Old October 6th 03, 12:05 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

I personally prefer to bind my necklines. It is more work but the finished
results are worth it. If you do not want to bind the neckline, I would
suggest cutting a piece of clear swimsuit elastic just slightly smaller than
the neck opening. Baste this to the wrong side with a long, wide zigzag
stitch. Turn the raw edge to the inside of the t-shirt and stitch along the
edge with a narrow short zigzag stitch (about 2 wide and 1.5 long). This
will give the neckline a memory and prevent gaping and sagging. Hope this
helps.
Cynthia

Old October 6th 03, 02:01 AM
Trish Brown

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

I personally prefer to bind my necklines. It is more work but the finished
results are worth it. If you do not want to bind the neckline, I would
suggest cutting a piece of clear swimsuit elastic just slightly smaller than
the neck opening. Baste this to the wrong side with a long, wide zigzag
stitch. Turn the raw edge to the inside of the t-shirt and stitch along the
edge with a narrow short zigzag stitch (about 2 wide and 1.5 long). This
will give the neckline a memory and prevent gaping and sagging. Hope this
helps.
Cynthia

Cynthia, that's *such* a clever idea! I've used that technique in making
swimmers and leotards for my daughter but never thought to apply it to T-shirts!
What a nice, clean, just-stretchy-enough finish that will make - I'm going to
give that a go! Thanks!
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old October 6th 03, 11:09 AM
Kate Dicey

Trish Brown wrote:

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

[...]

Same here! Idea filed for later use! Hm... Wonder how it would work
with that 'invisible' elastic? Got some somewhere...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 8th 03, 05:08 AM
Susiemw

Here is a link to the answers I got when i asked this exact same question
several years ago.

good luck

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...4149-3ACF4550-
16%40storefull-621.iap.bryant.webtv.net&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr
%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D24149-3ACF4550-16%2540storefull-621.iap.bryant.w
ebtv.net%26rnum%3D4

or do a search on t shirt & neckline. the date for the posts were april 2001.

susan

Old October 8th 03, 01:56 PM

T-shirt Necklines

Well, that was my step-by-step solution for cutting a dress (or
non-stretchy garment) neckline down, but, for a T shirt neckline, I'd
skip the interfacing details, and either use a stretch binding, or a
small satin binding around the neck.
In my reply over at alt.sewing, I mentioned that I use two rows of
stitching in the seam-to-be, to stabilize the new knit neckline and keep
it from laddering. Stitch before cutting the neckline down.
(Nice short link URL, Liz!)
Cea
---
"Susiemw" wrote :
Here is a link to the answers I got when i asked this exact same
question several years ago.
snipped

Old October 9th 03, 11:01 PM

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:51:52 GMT, "Liz" wrote:

For anyone who has trouble with multi-line URLs, try http://tinyurl.com/q4kz

Liz

You can also preced the linkwith a "" and end it with a "" (minus
the quote marks)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=24149-3ACF4550-16%40storefull-621.iap.bryant.webtv.net&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D24149-3ACF4550-16%2540storefull-621.iap.bryant.webtv.net%26rnum%3D4

Old October 15th 03, 05:56 PM
Elizabeth Hall

Would be interested to know if this elastic is available in the UK as I have
never heard of it and it would eliminate the problem of trying to match
colours. What a good idea.
Liz

Old October 15th 03, 10:33 PM
Trish Brown

Elizabeth Hall wrote:

Would be interested to know if this elastic is available in the UK as I have
never heard of it and it would eliminate the problem of trying to match
colours. What a good idea.
Liz

You can use the technique with ordinary knicker elastic. I've just made DD's
ballet costume (printed leotard) in this way (ie zig zag the elastic to the
neck, arm and leg holes, then turning once and zig zagging again) - the shop had
run out of clear elastic and so I was forced to use the ordinary stuff. Works
just the same!

HTH,
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old embroidered shirt Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 May 21st 04 03:49 PM
OT my new tee shirt Pat in Virginia Quilting 17 November 1st 03 06:37 PM
Regarding the shirt pattern I was looking for teleflora Needlework 19 September 26th 03 10:20 AM
Jacket from shirt pattern duh who Sewing 0 September 16th 03 02:33 AM
OT - Arondelle, I got the shirt! Lee S. Billings Beads 2 July 23rd 03 11:01 PM