Greetings from the past...

Old March 15th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Default Greetings from the past...

Chatelaine-Martina Weber wrote:
Hi all,
not long ago a member of this group sent me an email to my private
mailbox - and all of a sudden there were quite some memories coming to
my mind. The more , as I am sorting my stash of things and magazines
and was kind of "back in the past" anyway by looking on articles and
mags of 1995 and so on....
I was kind of indulging in fond memories of the friendly people I met
here, of those who got me "started" with designing and my own
business. And now I wonder : WHO is still here from "olden times" ? I
would be glad to "see" you and maybe chat a bit to and fro.
I have spent quite some hours now looking through old posts from
"then" - and I can tell you that is a pretty strange feeling to read
one's own posts, comments and stuff which is yeeeeeaaarrssss old now.

Lot has changed for me in my life ... and in yours for sure too !

For now -kind regards from an "old" poster here ( hihi - got 50 this
year, imagine that ! and still kicking...)

Martina Weber
Chatelaine Designs
Duisburg- Germany

Hi Martina,

I remember you from the "olden days". Don't feel too bad about turning
50! I turned 70 nearly two years ago; I just don't feel THAT old...in
fact I call it upper middle-aged!

If my memory hasn't totally failed me, weren't you collecting some
stitching supplies for a group? Maybe it was a shelter, young mothers or
something. Can't remember the details now, but I remember sending a
small packet of something.

People come and people go on this group. It is so very nice when one of
the old-timers pops back in to say "hello!" I wish more would do it;
there are so many names who have been among the missing.

Gillian
Florida
Old March 15th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chatelaine-Martina Weber

I remember you from the "olden days". Don't feel too bad about turning
50! I turned 70 nearly two years ago; I just don't feel THAT old...in
fact I call it upper middle-aged!

If my memory hasn't totally failed me, weren't you collecting some
stitching supplies for a group? Maybe it was a shelter, young mothers or
something. Can't remember the details now, but I remember sending a
small packet of something.

People come and people go on this group. It is so very nice when one of
the old-timers pops back in to say "hello!" I wish more would do it;
there are so many names who have been among the missing.

Gillian

Gillian,

yes, there were several times when I collected stuff to support
benefit cases in Germany or elsewhere.
One was the flooding in East Germany then. Many of the members here
contributed and
the packages were so well received from the families/women there.

I have to decide on some material choices, which is a pleasure on one
side ( toying and fondling
heaps of stash stuff) and on the other side it is kind of a torture
too :-))))

I will drop in here from time to time - if and when I have to say
something grin

kind regards,

Martina - Chatelaine Designs
Duisburg- Germany
Old March 19th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/13/08 1:37 PM, "Chatelaine-Martina Weber"
wrote:

[...]

Welcome back, Martina. Hope your life changes are positive ones. Just
yesterday, another RCTN'er (Donna from Virginia) and I were the
demonstrators at Woodlawn (the big needlework show in Virginia), and talking
aboaut your designs. There were 2 of the gorgeous, large, Mandela gardens
on exhibit - and they were stunning. We were discussing with the docents
which one we each were thinking of doing. And what is in the shop where I
work - so convenient to give in.... I'm thinking about doing the Taj Mahal
mandela, and framing it with my own pictures of the Taj around in a
grouping.

Hope we "see" you here now that you're back.

Ellice in Northern VA (and 50 isn't old at all...it's the new 40)

Old March 19th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

wrote:

[...]

AND, my dear friend Ellice, there is never an OLD!! I am 71, and am
still upper middle-aged. *Old* will always be 5 or more years older than
me! However, there are some neighbors here who are old at 60!

Gill
Old March 19th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chatelaine-Martina Weber

On 19 Mrz., 01:18, ellice wrote:
Welcome back, Martina. *Hope your life changes are positive ones. *Just
yesterday, another RCTN'er (Donna from Virginia) and I were the
demonstrators at Woodlawn (the big needlework show in Virginia), and talking
aboaut your designs. *There were 2 of the gorgeous, large, Mandela gardens
on exhibit - and they were stunning. *We were discussing with the docents
which one we each were thinking of doing. *And what is in the shop where I
work - so convenient to give in.... I'm thinking about doing the Taj Mahal
mandela, and framing it with my own pictures of the Taj around in a
grouping.

Hope we "see" you here now that you're back.

Hi Ellice,
it was the stuff which obviously happens to so many of "us" in "this"
age -
separation, divorce, death of near family members.
All these things which work as a shock therapy and bring you back to
thinking, p lanning and pushing your life towards new directions.
Which at the long end was something positive, as it resulted in good
things
for me and mine finally- like a big weight loss and a new love :-)))

Yes- I know about the big Mandalas being quite impressive, once
you see them form a short distance - that is the amount of detailed
work
the stitcher invests into each square inch. This detail of course gets
lost when
you see a small thumbnail or a general photo of one of these...

Taj Mahal is still one of my darlings - and as I never was there,and
maybe never
will - I "envy" you for having seen the real building and gardens, the
interieurs and
marble colors. Hmmm... that must have been special.
I had the hell of a time deciding on the colors then, when I made up
this particular design-
as there are so many moods with changing light.

I do not really feel old - or better said: I feel younger then
ever ;-) and as you I can say:
There are always some people who have less years, but look and feel
obviously much much
older...Sometimes I still feel 17 inside, giggle...

kind regards,

Old March 19th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

[...]

LOL, Gill. As we were recently reminiscing about our folks, when they were
in their 40s, and their parents were in their late 60s telling my folks that
"you're not middle-aged" and the logical arguments that followed. Of
course, being over 40, well, I've definitely fone for the 45 is the new 30 -
so to speak - theory.

Old - definitely I agree with you. Although, I will say, that recently I
was telling someone to enjoy the upcoming 35, in my recollection it was a
fabulous time!

Ellice

Old March 19th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/19/08 11:49 AM, "Chatelaine-Martina Weber"
wrote:

On 19 Mrz., 01:18, ellice wrote:
[...]

Well stated. I think all of us go through those cycles of life. For some,
the more serious happens when they're younger - and it definitely changes
your perpsective. For others, lucky enough to have those serious "adult"
things happen when they're a little older, well, it's sometimes harder to
get over. But, I like your simile, and hope that you're doing well.

Yes- I know about the big Mandalas being quite impressive, once
you see them form a short distance - that is the amount of detailed
work
the stitcher invests into each square inch. This detail of course gets
lost when
you see a small thumbnail or a general photo of one of these...

True. These 2 together look spectacular.

Taj Mahal is still one of my darlings - and as I never was there,and
maybe never
will - I "envy" you for having seen the real building and gardens, the
interieurs and
marble colors. Hmmm... that must have been special.
I had the hell of a time deciding on the colors then, when I made up
this particular design-
as there are so many moods with changing light.

It's a lovely place, very incredible. My then DH & I spent about several
days in that section of India, and I have some incredible photos -
somewhere. We also went to the other, smaller, tomb across the river - like
a miniature Taj, but in red clay bricks. The inlay work in these is
phenomenal. We brought back a small piece of marble worked with an inlaid
motif in the semi-precious stones. It reminds me of when we pick a motif to
replicate in a piece of needlework. That and the Amber palace, with its
room of mirrors are amazing places - though I will confess that we both
liked the smaller sister tomb to the Taj better than the large Taj Mahal.
But, it's all amazing and lovely.

I do not really feel old - or better said: I feel younger then
ever ;-) and as you I can say:
There are always some people who have less years, but look and feel
obviously much much
older...Sometimes I still feel 17 inside, giggle...

I totally understand that feeling. My god-daughter is a freshman at MIT,
and has a very similar personality to mine when I was younger - and has
taken to asking to see pictures of me in my "wild" (well, wild for a science
geek who also played sports) days. Her parents keep laughing about this -
as we didn't meet til grad school, though they've known me through several
beaus, husbands and seen the evidence of my youth - so to speak. Of course,
in some ways, I 'm sure I'm paying that delayed bill now ;^)

Well, time for me to go - finally get dressed, meet a friend, and then get
to the shop to work by 2.

Ellice

Old March 19th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

wrote:

[...]

Funny you say that about 35. I remember, eons ago, my father saying
that he thought women were at their most attractive at 35! They had
poise, confidence, and were no longer "gauche young things". I guess
that is why the mid-thirties were not any problem to me.

Gill
Old March 20th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

[...]

Well said by your dad. I do remember reading about this. The worst part of
the 30s is generally that if you have allergies/sensitivities - they will
peak, come into the full allergy sense around that time. OTOH, I think
there's something to do with hormones, sexuality, and as your dad said - by
then most of us have frown somewhat into who we are/will be. The poise,
confidence thing. And hormones (women peak in their 30s while men do in the
late teens/early twenties). But, the 40s - or my 30s redux - have been
okay - with some medical exceptions. It's still not feeling old, even if a
bit creaky and certainly puffier!

Ellice

Needlework find from the past ellice Needlework 2 May 10th 07 01:35 PM
How did I forget JCS this past Christmas? Becky A Needlework 2 January 30th 06 12:52 AM
hello ....a voice from the past coggietm Yarn 12 March 4th 05 02:19 AM
past post Michele Blank Glass 0 November 12th 04 04:47 AM
ad> christmas past...tatercat tatercat Beads 0 December 4th 03 02:38 AM