quilt show "how to" question

Old September 1st 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Default quilt show "how to" question

We're talking about having an outdoor quilt show here, but there's something
we can't figure out. What do you about birds dropping by - or dropping in -
or just - - - dropping. We're afraid of getting the quilts ruined. That's
all we'd need for our first local quilt show to end in a big disaster.
Any advice or experience?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old September 1st 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Just hang washable quilts? I wonder if you could write Alex Anderson and
ask about the outdoor quilt show that she's been involved in? The hang
quilts in a garden so I bet they have had a bird or two nearby.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 1st 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

how about hanging strips of small sqs of foil above the quilts.
we used to get milk here in glass with foil tops and those kept birds out
of the vege garden.
fiddly but cheap enough and you could try it out in advance in someones
garden to see how it works with your local birds.
perhaps using the heavy duty foil. you only need small 2" squares should do
the job.
i wonder does cutting foil with your rotary blade really sharpen the blade?
i'd probably knot, foil square, knot, every foot or so should work.
worth a test with whatever foil you've got on hand to see how it works in
your locale.
actually you could easily just criss cross lines of them around the whole
area rather than just worrying bout one above each quilt.
should confuddle those wee birdys enough to keep them at bay for the time
being.
its the flickering light on them that does the trick.
cheers,
jeanne

"Karen, Queen of Squishies"wrote...

Old September 2nd 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

In the mid-west I would be as concerned about the weather. Alex
Anderson and Sisters Oregon have very little chance of rain during
certain months. When could you plan an outdoor event in Illinois that
rain wouldn't be a factor?

I helped a woman clean quilts that had "bird presents" all over them.
We spotted the soiled areas with Orvus and washed the quilts in cold
water. Everything came out. Fortunately the quilts had not been
exposed to birds that had eaten mulberries. I still remember mulberry
season when I was living in a more rural setting. Won't describe the
problem. You can use your imagination.

Susan

Old September 2nd 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I've pondered your question, Karen, but don't have any answers. A couple of
times a year, I like to hang my quilts outside on a nice, breezy day. It's
crossed my mind to sit out back with a hawk on my wrist and a shotgun - just
for the noise. I couldn't / wouldn't hurt a bird. An outside quilt show
would truly be a risky venture. You could be taking the chance that a quilt
would get a stain that only scissors could remove. Polly

Old September 2nd 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I had a neighbor that complained about my mulberry bushes. The birds
always seemed to get her laundry but not mine. I'm still not sure how
that worked.
Taria

Old September 2nd 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

A seagull got DD once when she was water-skiing. How's that for
split-second timing? Fortunately, mulberries don't grow in the Gulf and
there was plenty of water to wash her off. Polly

Old September 2nd 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marilyn

We have a combined indoor/outdoor show. And fortunately, for the past
3 years, we haven't had any rain on the day of the show.

We use a local little restaurant/could be B&B but it isn't one. The
lady caterers events and she puts on a lunch/tea throughout the show.
She lets us put quilts--mostly small quilts to lap quilts to wall
hangings and other quilted items--throughout the first floor. And we
set up the larger quilts outside on racks and drape several over the
porch railings.

With a covered porch, we don't have to worry too much about birds
coming through.

My first thought was tents as well but even with tents, the birds can
fly up underneath and fly around and cause some damage due to stress.

Good luck with next years show regardless of whether it is inside or
out.

Marilyn

Old September 3rd 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote:

We're talking about having an outdoor quilt show here, but there's something
we can't figure out. What do you about birds dropping by - or dropping in -
or just - - - dropping. We're afraid of getting the quilts ruined. That's
all we'd need for our first local quilt show to end in a big disaster.
Any advice or experience?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

I don't know.

I would include a disclaimer notation in bold type on the entry form
that it is an outdoor show and although quilt handlers will be careful
with the quilts, the local wildlife including birds flying overhead
may not be so careful and that the show/guild may not be held liable
for any damage due to wildlife, sunlight, weather, or other acts of
nature.

Without the disclaimer someone is likely to hold the show responsible
for fading due to sunlight, mildew or color bleeding on never before
washed quilts due to moisture from rain or dew, bird poo, dirty
squirrel tracks, tree sap, or a myriad of other outdoor possibilities.
Personally, I'd send a quilt to an outdoor show in a heartbeat. My
quilts are made to be used and abused so hanging them outdoors is just
fine and my little endeavors might have a chance of looking good if
there are less quilts shown that are made specifically for winning
ribbons at shows.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at