Blind stitch for binding

Old August 31st 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Default Blind stitch for binding

Has anyone tried this method of sewing the binding to the back of a quilt?
I know it's not supposed to be used for heirloom quilts or show quilts, but
I have some quilts that are scrap quilts and basic utility quilts that I
would love to find an easier way to sew the back binding down. Don't want
it to look schlocky but don't want to put the long hours of hand sewing into
it if I can avoid it.

Thanks! I hope this hasn't been a recent topic that I missed.

--
AliceW

Old August 31st 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"AliceW" wrote:

Has anyone tried this method of sewing the binding to the back of a quilt?
I know it's not supposed to be used for heirloom quilts or show quilts, but
I have some quilts that are scrap quilts and basic utility quilts that I
would love to find an easier way to sew the back binding down. Don't want
it to look schlocky but don't want to put the long hours of hand sewing into
it if I can avoid it.

Thanks! I hope this hasn't been a recent topic that I missed.

Alice, I didn't have much luck with blind-stitching the binding. I
missed several spots. However, using a decorative stitch works much
better! You can stitch along, knowing that the decorative stitch is
going to "hit" in several places and be a bit more reliable -- at least,
that's my experience. G The stitches I like best for this are the ones
that have a straight line (I put that into the ditch) and then swing
over to the side where the binding is for several stitches before going
back to the ditch. Works for me, anyway. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 31st 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I also think for machine stitching the binding, it looks better if the
binding is sewn to the back and brought around to the front for stitching.
Then you know that you've caught all of it and it looks much neater.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 31st 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, the stitch I use to sew bindings
down by hand doesn't show, I just assumed everyone did it like this -
though I realised recently this is not the case. I don't think it takes
me any more time to do it this way.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 31st 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I think she meant she didn't want to do it by hand.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 31st 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lotsoflavender

Yes that works, I've tried this way before with not-so-important quilts and
it saved some time. Instead of machine sewing to the front then hand
stitching over to the back, I machine stitched the binding onto the back
then turned it over and machined stitched the front, that way I was able to
get a much cleaner/neater finish. Then as Alice suggested you could use a
decorative stitch as well.
Wendy in NSW

"KJ" wrote in message
I also think for machine stitching the binding, it looks better if the
binding is sewn to the back and brought around to the front for stitching.
Then you know that you've caught all of it and it looks much neater.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 31st 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Thanks everyone. I have already sewn the binding onto the front so I think
I'd better just bite the bullet and sew this one by hand. But I will really
try the machine method the next time! Great tips as usual!

--
AliceW
"KJ" wrote in message
I also think for machine stitching the binding, it looks better if the
binding is sewn to the back and brought around to the front for stitching.
Then you know that you've caught all of it and it looks much neater.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 31st 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

For charity, utility or kids quilts I often use a machine stitch.
If you choose a decorative stitch that has some width to it you
can usually catch the edge all the way, even in those spots you
might miss with a single line of stitching. I am not bad at
that either though. For really nice or special quilts I do a hand
stitch but sometimes the machine work is fine.
Taria

Old August 31st 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Alice, try the one that looks like chicken tracks. (maybe 'feather'
stitch?) . . . or the one that looks like little hills drawn with a single
row of stitches (sort of a scallop). Any oops that you have with the blind
stitch is going to be visible 15 feet away on a galloping horse. If you
can, do your stitching from the top side of the quilt so you can control the
appearance. The SM will try to bog down at the corners so you'll want to
release the pressure of the presser foot some. Tell your SM that You are in
control and use the hand wheel at the corners if you have to in order to
have a uniform stitch. I didn't mean to make this sound so tedious; just
thought I'd arm you with all the tricks. Polly

Old August 31st 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Thanks Polly. I have a Pfaff that has a gazillion built in stitches so I
think I have the ones you mentioned. I think any machine method is going to
be less tedious than the hand sewing. I will have to make some practice
blocks to get the hang of it first though. Thanks for the tips!

Alice in NJ

--
AliceW

Knitting with the blind Arlene Yarn 1 May 16th 06 03:04 PM
Blind knots Tricia Knots 1 November 6th 05 12:27 PM
Not a mitered corner binding, but the other binding Quiltshophopper Quilting 5 September 8th 05 03:18 PM
OT - I will be blind Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 14 August 23rd 03 09:08 AM
OT - The light was green and I am "blind" Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 0 August 19th 03 03:50 PM