OT Candle Bleachers

Old February 15th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Candle Bleachers

No not for taking the color out of, for sitting on.

In my other life as a religious person, I burn a lot of candles. In
fact everybody in the house burns a lot of candles. Everything from
wee votives, to utility types, to the tall seven day kind in the glass
jars.

We need more room and organization for burning candles.
Often we burn them in little cups with bits of paper underneath them,
sometimes they are sprinkled with herbs, oils, and/or alcohols.

So, while my first inclination is to get me some wood, some pegs, some
dead animal glue, and go to town with the saw and drill, it occurs
that this might not be the most fire safe approach.
Second inclination is to go with the first inclination and screw down
tin sheet over the top of the shelf parts.

Anybody got a better idea?
Churches have candle bleachers, at least churches in movies do.
What are they made of?
Think if I made a shelf to hang on the wall and sit the bleachers on
it would burn down the house? That would be bad.

NightMist
ruminating
--
Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Old February 15th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Somebody must make those things. All the ones I've seen around here look
like wrought iron. And I bet if you found the right ironmonger, one of those
tiered plant stands would do nicely, and even hold quite big candles (which
the church ones wouldn't).
I've seen plant stands designed to sit next to a wall and hold 3 layers of
pots. Wrought iron sides and sometimes tile bits on the shelves.
Roberta in D

Old February 15th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

You might try candle risers and check church supply stores (probably
Catholic) Some sort of wrought iron is what I remember.

Don't you have cats? Boy, we gave up on candles when we got cats.
Just too darned dangerous. Aren't you in an old house?
Dad the old builder says they are fire traps. All that lath and plaster
and dry old wood. You really need to be careful you don't burn down an
older house.
Golly, be safe. Light an extra one of those candles for that
reason in itself. ; ) Good luck on the hunt. Lecture over LOL
TAria

Old February 16th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:39:37 GMT, Taria
wrote:

You might try candle risers and check church supply stores (probably
Catholic) Some sort of wrought iron is what I remember.

A nice lady named Rosalie sent me a link.
Major niftiness!
Also major money.

Don't you have cats?

Yep, three of them.

Boy, we gave up on candles when we got cats.
Just too darned dangerous.

I find the stairs to be a greater danger.
It's a rule, when you go up or down stairs cats must twine themselves
around your ankles. I am just waiting for the day a cat trips me up
and I go sailing through the monstrous huge windows on the lower
landing. Probably with a cat clinging to my behind by all claws and
screaming it's fool head off.

Aren't you in an old house?

Yep.
150-175 years old, with additions and remodels from every decade
between then and now.

Dad the old builder says they are fire traps. All that lath and plaster
and dry old wood. You really need to be careful you don't burn down an
older house.

Don't forget the gaslight pipes, the coal residue, the crumbling
chimneys, and all the wierd stuff in the walls and between the floors.
Oh, and the several tons of butternuts and butternut shells that the
squirrels have left lying about. Actual factual electricians were
through within the past ten years, so there shouldn't be anymore lamp
cord or stand-offs in the walls. At least not live.

Golly, be safe. Light an extra one of those candles for that
reason in itself. ; ) Good luck on the hunt. Lecture over LOL

At present 99% of the candles get put on the double mantle.
Hand carved cherry coated with battleship grey deck paint.
(yes stripping that is on my list! along with about 10,000 other
things)
The cats stay off the mantle, too high for them to bestir themselves
to jump.

I am now contemplating the modified plant stand idea.
I like that notion, though I haven't seen many around. Somebody
surely has them.

Not burning down the house is very high on my list of things. (G)
Which is one of the reasons I am thinking more space and organization
for the candles would be a very good thing.

NightMist
--
Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Old February 16th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

like bakers racks?
i've got a couple of them in my dining room but no tiles, just the black
wrought iron shelves. i love'em.
they wont burn down but might want to put some foil on the floor under them
to catch any drips or mishaps of falling candles, just in case.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Roberta Zollner" wrote...

Old February 16th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 03:19:05 GMT, (NightMist) wrote:

I find the stairs to be a greater danger.
It's a rule, when you go up or down stairs cats must twine themselves
around your ankles. I am just waiting for the day a cat trips me up
and I go sailing through the monstrous huge windows on the lower
landing. Probably with a cat clinging to my behind by all claws and
screaming it's fool head off.

Please always use the handrails.

I am now contemplating the modified plant stand idea.
I like that notion, though I haven't seen many around. Somebody
surely has them.

There is another possibility too. Aquarium stands. They look good
and won't burn. Take one metal aquarium stand and insert a piece of
glass, a large tile, a slab of shale or other flat stepping stone in
the recess the aquarium should sit into. Add another shorter stand in
front of the first one using the same sort of top if you want the
bleacher look.

The aquarium stand works well for a hibachi table too. I've got a
slab of shale in mine.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old February 16th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Are these big candles? Would this work?

http://www.zaccardis.com/rsvp-expand...rice-rack.html

Lilly cat here is able to leap tall buildings in a single bound so
no high spot is safe! Actually no place is safe betweent the lot
of wild life here. Glad you are being careful. Thanks for reminding
me why I am happy to live in a 20 yo tract home that has little
character except what we give it. Once in awhile I get a silly notion
that an old house would be fun. I'm too old for such fun.
Stay safe.
Taria

Old February 16th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Try JoAnn's for plant stands. They usually have them in about now or in
the next few weeks/months. In the "Garden Gate" stuff. wait for them to
go on sale. BG
And, just a thought, at one time instead of candles for one area we
started using oil lamps. Somewhat safer because if they do get knocked
over the oil itself will extinguish the flame... it is vapors that
actually burn. That is what the wick is for... it draws up the liquid so
that a small amount is vaporized by the heat of the flame which is fed
by the vapors. We did fairly extensive testing....
I know that the oil lamp won't work for all purposes, but can often be
substituted with additional ?????? .
VBG

Pati, in Phx

wrote:

[...]

candle glaze [email protected] General Crafting 24 June 18th 12 08:41 AM
FS: Gel Candle & Candy Candle venus0576 Marketplace 0 November 16th 05 05:51 PM
OT - Light a Candle Arondelle Beads 2 September 13th 05 02:45 AM
My new candle Sean Cleary General Crafting 1 April 26th 04 03:03 PM