Need suggestions to put blocks together

Old February 13th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

Default Need suggestions to put blocks together

I like. I did a monthly Thangle sampler at an LQS about 3 years ago but
not stars. Wish they had used the same patterns yours did. How about
setting them on point with sashings and a border or alternate the stars with
solid squares.

--
Mary
"Joanna" wrote in message
: Need suggestions for putting this one together. I'm thinking a lap quilt
: for the couch would be nice, so it needs to be bigger. No I can not get
: the fabrics that are in it anymore. I could probably get similar fabric
: to match. But then how to do I choose which stars to make. Some of them
: I wouldn't mind doing again, but others took way too long for my liking.
:
: So should I make extra stars? If so which ones? Or should I just add a
: fat boarder around everything to bring it up to size?
:
: This was a once a month program at our local quilt store, although it
: took me a year to finish the blocks, I really enjoyed paper piecing with
: the Thangles.
:
: Pics can be found in the star quilt album.
:
: http://community.webshots.com/user/exrules
:
: Thanx for taking a look.
: Joanna
: remove quilt to reply

Old February 13th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle

Joanna,

I can't add to all the great suggestions you've already received, but wanted
to tell you how pretty your star blocks are. :-)
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

Old February 13th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

One thing you should consider is putting the blocks on point and
alternating with a plain square of background fabric (to show off your
quilting) or a simpler block that would compliment the stars using
scrappy fabrics. then add a not so huge border and voila, you'll have
a decent sized quilt.

Musicmaker

Old February 14th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Joanna,
Here is what I would do with that charming group of stars.
Divide them into two groups of six blocks each; one
group has more blue fabric, the other has more green
fabric. (In some cases this is a judgment call. Don't
agonize over it!)
Take the blue stack and border with a green/taupe
fabric. The strips should be 2.5" or 3" cut. Each
corner should have a 2.5" or 3" cut square of blue.
Take the green stack and do the same, using blue strips
and green/taupe corners.
Set together, alternating the colors.
After that I would add a narrow cream strip all around.
Then I'd add a wider border of busy fabric to unite the
colors.
This double sashing is a nice way to unify sampler
blocks. The contrast corners make little four patches
and add interest. HTH.
PAT

Need suggestions for putting this one together...cut...

Old February 16th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne in CA

I love those settings challenges!! Here are some solutions I have made
myself --
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...30878969hnhiiX
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...30878969otOIti
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...30878969MXJUFg

Your blocks are lovely. Good luck with the finishing and let us see
photos, OK?

Anne in CA @---------
anne DOT rudolph AT sbcglobal DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission errors.
http://www.frappr.com/rctq

July PP blocks maryd Quilting 21 July 26th 06 02:42 PM
Hug Blocks Tia Mary Quilting 32 November 14th 05 07:45 PM
When Hug blocks are not used Betsy Ross Quilting 61 September 10th 05 09:47 AM
MAY'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 27 May 2nd 05 05:57 AM
APRIL'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 48 April 2nd 05 04:50 PM