Couple more questions...

Old July 16th 03, 05:48 PM
Karlee in Kansas

Default Couple more questions...

Just looking for a little clarification on a couple poly clay questions that I have found answers to on both glass attic
and bead notes...but I just want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row before I make the attempt.

1. Molds. I want to make my own out of my scrap clay. Glass attic said its possible, there wasn't anything on bead
notes about it. I can use regular flour or corn starch as a release? I haven't yet talked hubby into letting me buy
premade molds, but when I do, is it possible to use the pretty smallish soap molds and mint molds (as long as you don't
use them for anything else)?

2. Glue. I'm in a tizzy about this. TONS of info on both sites about it. I'm wanting to use Gorilla Glue to attach
PC to cardboard (you will see why in a few weeks), and super glue to attach PC to either PC or metal. Any no nos with
these or can I go ahead with these glue choices? If there are no nos, what are they, and do you have a recommendation
for other glue types??

TIA
Karlee, the ever confused one, in Kansas

--
Visit my web page! www.angelfire.com/ks3/karlee/index.html
Our family page: http://groups.msn.com/brennanfamilypage

Old July 16th 03, 06:49 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Gorilla Glue is really for woodworking and needs to be applied to a damp
surface to be completely effective.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Old July 16th 03, 10:11 PM
Christina Peterson

You can use them with PMC though, as long as you grease them up first. I
see olive oil recommended. We used Badger Balm, which is more solid, to
brush into the mold and for our hands.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
Do flexible molds work for PolyClay? It's what we use with PMC, and they
are great fun to make.

I know they won't work with rubber stamps. The rubber will meld to the

mold
and will never come loose, ever.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old July 16th 03, 11:34 PM
Dr. Sooz

Badger Balm has mineral oil in it, which isn't good for firing in the kiln.
I'd heard it was used by some people, but our teacher warned us it isn't a good
idea because of the other things that are in it. She only uses vegetable oils.

Old July 17th 03, 12:56 AM
Christina Peterson

It's what is used by most teachers from the PMC Guild, and what they list
with their products. Hmmm. The back of the can says olive oil, beeswax,
castor oil, aloe vera, and oil of sweet birch. Are you thinking of Bag
Balm? This one is Badger Balm.

Tina

Old July 17th 03, 03:34 AM
Beads1947

Badger balm? Gorilla glue? Sounds like you've been hanging out with Tink at
the zoo. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Patti

Old July 17th 03, 09:38 PM
KDK

Ok. For some reason I thought it was a mold to use for rubber stamping - I
missed the PMC connection. Well I am blonde

Yeah I can see how the negative image of some stamps would work really well
with PMC.

Kathy K
"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
You'd use the stamp to make a mold to use with the PMC. Some things need

to be
reversed, i.e., negative-to-positive bulges, for best effect.

Why would you need a mold with rubber stamping?

Kathy curious K

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

New finished piece & a couple of stringing questions rainbow Beads 0 July 6th 03 09:28 AM
more questions.... Mary Shafer Beads 1 July 3rd 03 09:14 PM
Technical questions on etching and annealing Michele Blank Beads 2 July 1st 03 05:32 PM