church sale find!

Old July 11th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

Default church sale find!

Our church's annual "garage sale" is going on now, and I glomed onto
some really nice cotton fabrics for my stash! I bought every hunk
that was cotton, of course, and wound up with almost 15 yards for
$4.50. Some had apparently been washed, and some had not, so all of
them are in the washing machine now, and will be dried, ironed,
folded, and added to the stash this evening.
Old July 12th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jul 12, 12:31*am, Mary wrote:
Our church's annual "garage sale" is going on now, and I glomed onto
some really nice cotton fabrics for my stash! *I bought every hunk
that was cotton, of course, and wound up with almost 15 yards for
$4.50. *Some had apparently been washed, and some had not, so all of
them are in the washing machine now, and will be dried, ironed,
folded, and added to the stash this evening.

You Are Very Brave Mary ,, when i buy New cottons [or any other
cloth] , i wash them first by hand SEPARATELY ,, not knowing if one
will Leak a color etc,,,,,
Do you know what you are going to go with the `Treasure` ?
mirjam
Old July 12th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

I wash fabrics by machine in cold water and never seem to have much
problem other than with the occasional red, and if a red runs it shows
on the other fabrics, which I simply re-wash separately. (And that
hunk of red is set aside and not used in any quilt -- ever! Reds that
run usually wind up in dog bandanas in various sizes that go to the
local animal shelter for them to sell along with other dog-related
goodies -- my dog already has plenty!)

I'm not sure what I'll do with the fabrics I found today, but they'll
wait in the stash with the others. At some point they'll probably
wind up in sampler blocks. In recent months I've begun to make random
12" blocks in all sorts of patterns and color combinations, and
putting them away. About once every two or three of weeks when I want
to take a break from a current project, I get out the fabric stash,
set up the sewing machine, and spend an evening making blocks all in
different patterns, so the pile of blocks is building up nicely. Most
of the blocks will eventually be part of sampler quilts, while others
may wind up in throw pillows or tote bags.
Old July 12th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

I'm not sure what I'll do with the fabrics I found today, but they'll
wait in the stash with the others. *At some point they'll probably
wind up in sampler blocks. In recent months I've begun to make random
12" blocks in all sorts of patterns and color combinations, and
putting them away. *About once every two or three of weeks when I want
to take a break from a current project, I get out the fabric stash,
set up the sewing machine, and spend an evening making blocks all in
different patterns, so the pile of blocks is building up nicely. *Most
of the blocks will eventually be part of sampler quilts, while others
may wind up in throw pillows or tote bags.

Mary you are lucky if new cloths don`t bleed color ,, I have learned
to wash then separately first ,,, I like your idea of making some
random blocks ,,,
mirjam
Old July 12th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jul 11, 6:31*pm, Mary wrote:
Our church's annual "garage sale" is going on now, and I glomed onto
some really nice cotton fabrics for my stash! *I bought every hunk
that was cotton, of course, and wound up with almost 15 yards for
$4.50. *Some had apparently been washed, and some had not, so all of
them are in the washing machine now, and will be dried, ironed,
folded, and added to the stash this evening.

Great buy, Mary!

Higs,
Katherine
Old July 12th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:31:07 -0700 (PDT), Mary
wrote:

Our church's annual "garage sale" is going on now, and I glomed onto
some really nice cotton fabrics for my stash! I bought every hunk
that was cotton, of course, and wound up with almost 15 yards for
$4.50. Some had apparently been washed, and some had not, so all of
them are in the washing machine now, and will be dried, ironed,
folded, and added to the stash this evening.

I can one-up you on bargains, except it wasn't one, as you'll see.
About ten days ago I received a sixty-four pound carton that had
eleven new, still wrapped in plastic, bolts of FreeSpirit of cotton
quilting fabric. Absolutely free, as it was marked p/p (prepaid).
Well, except that they didn't send me my Rowan Internationa renewal
bonus, which is an embellishable shoulder bag.

This carton was actually number two of five destined for a regular
customer, but someone wrote the wrong number on it and made it mine. I
don't even quilt (or sew). Fortunately, after a bunch of phone calls,
we got it straightened out and they're going to send UPS to pick up
the carton. That's a real relief. It's upsetting to have hundreds of
dollars of someone else's property suddenly appear at my door.

Mary "And my embellishable bag has been shipped"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old July 13th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

About 20 years ago my father got a credit for 4 radial tires on his
monthly bill from Shell Oil Company. It was not his credit, and
belonged to somebody else, who surely was missing it! It took Shell
almost 6 months to track it and get the credit removed from my
father's account and put on the proper account. In the meantime, my
father couldn't use his Shell card without risking even more
confusion.

Find a great 4th of July sale? Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 9 July 6th 08 04:42 PM
Garage Sale Find, HELP QUICK Kate T. Quilting 15 August 1st 06 03:54 PM
Garage sale find Julia in MN Quilting 12 November 13th 05 08:17 PM
Estate sale find Elizabeth Wilson Quilting 5 February 14th 05 12:20 PM
Barn Sale Find Julia Altshuler Quilting 18 October 20th 04 02:12 PM