copper soldering iron tip

Old May 28th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default copper soldering iron tip

Hi again,

I'm facing things here that i never encountered in the US despite 8
years in the field.
My new 150 Watt iron arrived yesterday...it's a copy of a German model
but at 1/2 the price.
i've never used a 'bent tip' before, so this should be interesting! but
the new tip is totally copper..
it has not been pre-tinned.

what's the best way to get this tip ready for use?

it's a nice wide tip and i've been told that this is the best one
available in Turkey, so for the
time being, this is what i've got ...

any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

arlene

Old May 29th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Hi Arlene
I am glad you managed to get an iron OK, and hope your studio is all
setup now so you can get creative again!
As has already been suggested - use your salammoniac block and some
solder to pre-tin your copper tip and you should be fine!
Elizabeth in Bournemouth UK

Old May 29th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Arlene
I am glad you managed to get an iron OK, and hope your studio is all
setup now so you can get creative again!
As has already been suggested - use your salammoniac block and some
solder to pre-tin your copper tip and you should be fine!
Elizabeth in Bournemouth UK

A tip to make it work better, put a small paint of liquid flux on the block,
lay your solder on the spot painted and lay your new iron, hot, on and rub
away. You would be surprised how fast and easy the iron "tins".

Old May 29th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

you are all great...your suggestion is great...one problem though...no
one i've talked
to knows about sal ammoniac blocks here!! is that possible??

okay, then i need to know where to get one from the EU...

ideas? suggestions?

arlene

Old May 29th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Suppliers like www.rswww.com do cleaning/tinning blocks such as 507-8698

Searching for sal ammoniac in the UK got
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/cgi-bin/...wprod_TOOLSALA

wrote:

you are all great...your suggestion is great...one problem though...no
one i've talked
to knows about sal ammoniac blocks here!! is that possible??

okay, then i need to know where to get one from the EU...

ideas? suggestions?

arlene

soldering copper Kendall Davies Jewelry 3 April 12th 06 06:22 AM
Mini iron or soldering iron? NightMist Quilting 4 April 10th 06 09:16 AM
annealing brass C Ryman Jewelry 2 July 8th 05 01:46 AM
FS: Vintage Singer Featherweight Iron -- Best Piecing Iron Available! singer_fw_iron_lover Marketplace 0 August 14th 04 08:09 PM
Sparex pickle Don Robinson Jewelry 9 February 18th 04 02:49 AM