Knitting bug -- OUCH!

Old June 9th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Knitting bug -- OUCH!

But this doesn`t work so good with One piece No seam knitting, wheere
i knit one after another ,,, But the last years i get double the
needles for the sleeves and work same amount of rows on each side
every knitting time ,,,
mirjam

On Jun 8, 5:18 am, "MSey" wrote:
A thing I do ... I'm sure everyone already does this ... to ensure, legs and
arms and often sides, fronts and backs come out exactly the same size is to
knit them at the same time on the same needle. So when I say I've started
the pant legs, that's exactly what I've done. Discovered that little trick
when I was making slippers for everyone and then some on Christmas.

Yup, a great plan especially for smaller items. Don't want to have two
balls of wool on the go? Easy, wind your wool into a centre-pull ball
and knit one from the inside and one from the outside of the ball. I
find it difficult to motivate myself through the second of anything,
so this is alsoa great way to get a pair of anything done.

VP

Old June 9th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I have one for my weaving , but most BOUGHT balls of wool , can easily
be opened at both inside and outside ,,,
mirjam

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Jun 8, 11:54 am, "MSey" wrote:
Do you have a special gadget that allows you to take the wool from the

inside
and outside of the ball at the same time?

I use my ball winder (see the link below for an example) to rewind the
ball. because it winds around a core, it's easy to get at the center
thread once you remove it from the winder.

http://knittersreview.com/article_to...ofile/020822_a.
asp

VP

Ha! I've never seen one of these things before. I wonder if they have them
at Wal-Mart? ;-))

Murielle

Old June 9th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Bernadette" wrote in
:

Aaron, thank you so much for that. It will save me having
to chase a ball of wool all around the room where I am
working and also have the advantage of discouraging a very
playful little cat from tangling my yarn up.

well, it *will* save you from chasing a ball around the room,
but it *won't* stop the cat, i'm afraid.
i wind center pull balls using a fat knitting needle most of
the time (& i do have a ball winder & swift), but the kitties
(6 indoor only & 2 barn) still play with the yarn as it comes
out of the ball...
lee

Old June 9th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Aaron Lewis" wrote in
et:

Winding such center pull balls was the first bit of
knitting that I did that impressed my wife, because her
mother, was a very fine knitter, who never learned how to
wind center pull balls.

another advantage to center pull balls is that you can put
them on a wrist bracelet or in a backpack pocket & knit while
walking.
i don't advise working on a blanket or large sweater while
doing this, but it's good for socks & hats, etc.
lee
Old June 9th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

enigma wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in
:

Aaron, thank you so much for that. It will save me having
to chase a ball of wool all around the room where I am
working and also have the advantage of discouraging a very
playful little cat from tangling my yarn up.

well, it will save you from chasing a ball around the room,
but it won't stop the cat, i'm afraid.
i wind center pull balls using a fat knitting needle most of
the time (& i do have a ball winder & swift), but the kitties
(6 indoor only & 2 barn) still play with the yarn as it comes
out of the ball...
lee

(LOL) I have a feeling you're right about the cat. That would be too
much like going against nature!

She actually has a ball of wool of her own. I wound it from some left
over bits, left a very long tail on it and used that to sew over and
over where the strands crossed each other. She loves to play football
with it.

Old June 9th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

My Nephew puts balls of yarn in the huge cargo pockets of the "military
"style pants that are popular these days, then he can crochet while skate
boarding. I have a vest with large pockets, I put a center pull ball in
one of pockets that was designed for camera lenses, then I can easily knit
in public. For socks or mittens on a train or plane or in the car, the vest
is more convenient than a knitting bag.

Aaron

. ..

Old June 9th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Aaron Lewis wrote:
It is not too hard to wind a centerpull ball by hand. I often use my
knitting sheaths, or (bamboo) needle cases, or a piece of plastic pipe
as my form.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Now I don't wish I had a $30 ball winder any more and can stop trying to
find one for sale for dirt cheap!!

$30 would be dirt cheap; they're usually $34 to $36 where I see them.
But winding center pull balls around a stick goes back hundreds of years.
The fancy sticks with a slightly thicker middle are called nostepindes
(in Scandinavia), but I've never figured out why the bulge doesn't make it
hard to remove the yarn afterwards.

If you wind a lot of yarn, a ball winder is worth its weight in gold.
I just wish they'd design one that would let me use bobbins with wide
ends, or maybe what I want is bobbins with one end removable so I can
slip the ball onto it, so slippery yarns don't have a chance to slide
back into a tangle.

=Tamar
Old June 9th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article s74ai.8649$nx3.7704@edtnps89, MSey wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message

snip
Even with the skeins direct from the store you can pull from both the
inside and outside. If you wind hanks into balls, you can make a center
pull ball without a ball winder.

Really? I tend to wind a lot of balls because I actually prefer knitting
and crocheting from a ball. But I had no idea you could wind a ball by
hand, on your hand, and make it a center pull.

Now I'm wondering how you do it.

Mainly you just keep the inner end sticking out of the ball as you wind it.
I wrap it around the little finger of the hand holding the ball as it forms
when I'm hand winding a ball. I do try to create the same kind of center-
hole that you find on a ball of crochet cotton, by winding around next to
the center rather than across the center (again, like the ball of crochet
cotton).

=Tamar
Old June 9th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Richard Eney wrote:

If you wind a lot of yarn, a ball winder is worth its weight in gold.
I just wish they'd design one that would let me use bobbins with wide
ends, or maybe what I want is bobbins with one end removable so I can
slip the ball onto it, so slippery yarns don't have a chance to slide
back into a tangle.

Well, I am just getting started bsck into doing this and am trying not
to spend TOO much money until I know I'm going into it for the long term.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old June 10th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
I have one for my weaving , but most BOUGHT balls of wool , can easily
be opened at both inside and outside ,,,
mirjam

I prefer to pull from the center of bought balls and now that I know it can
be done in hand-wound balls I'll be doing that too. :-)

Murielle

On Jun 8, 11:54 am, "MSey" wrote:
Do you have a special gadget that allows you to take the wool from

the
inside
and outside of the ball at the same time?

I use my ball winder (see the link below for an example) to rewind the
ball. because it winds around a core, it's easy to get at the center
thread once you remove it from the winder.

http://knittersreview.com/article_to...ofile/020822_a

..

OUCH Polly S. Beads 6 February 1st 07 03:57 PM
ouch! WitchyStitcher Quilting 50 January 4th 06 05:35 AM
ouch!! [email protected] Yarn 20 October 21st 04 03:08 AM
Mom & Sis/colour - ouch norma woods Yarn 5 December 30th 03 01:56 PM