Who is the best manufacturer of muslin?

Old April 12th 04, 06:36 PM
QuiltShopHopper

Default Who is the best manufacturer of muslin?

I assume that muslin, like all quilting fabrics, has lousy quality as well
as very high quality. I have never bought muslin, so I would like your
suggestions.

Thanks,

Cyndi

Old April 12th 04, 07:48 PM
Piglet

Actually, muslin's one of the things I won't go to an LQS for---Joann's
muslin is fine.

What you want to watch is your width---muslin's one of the fabrics that
still comes in 36" width as well as 45", 90", 106", 108" etc.

Nothing wrong with 36" muslin, as long as you're buying it because you meant
to.

For muslin, I tend to wait until Joann's has a sale on, and then buy whole
bolts---I generally have both white and natural underfoot, sometimes
tea-dyed also.

--pig

On 4/12/04 12:36, opined:

Old April 12th 04, 07:59 PM
Taria

Roc-lon is one name crand that comes to mind. I was involved in
a group made quilt. The muslin that started the project for the
main center area was choosen to be a 'good' one by one of the gals.
By the time the outside border was done someone else had taken
on the project and deemed that muslin poor quality. She then got
some of her brand of 'good' muslin for borders. First muslin chooser
later complained that the second was not good stuff. They actually
were both fine IMO. Guess the point is go with what you have a good
feel for. Washing samples to get a chance to judge the fabric at that
point is a good idea.
Taria

Old April 12th 04, 08:13 PM
Julia in MN

I use the 45" wide RocLon from JoAnn's. I've seen the same brand at my
LQS, but more expensive. I usually buy it by the bolt when it is on sale
or with a coupon. I use it quite a bit for backings.

There have been times when the 36" wide muslin would be wide enough and
it is less expensive, but it seems thinner and more loosely woven.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old April 12th 04, 11:56 PM
Phaedrine

In article ,
"QuiltShopHopper" wrote:

I assume that muslin, like all quilting fabrics, has lousy quality as well
as very high quality. I have never bought muslin, so I would like your
suggestions.

I recently asked a similar question. And, today, I just happened to be
placing an order and noticed that Atlanta Thread and Supply....

http://www.atlantathread.com/

.....has 54"w 100% cotton "Roc-lon" muslin for 2.80/yd by the yard or
2.25 by the roll (100 yards). I have used this in the past but was
worried about what they might be putting in it to make it
water-repellent and crease & stain resistant, and if all that washes
out. I also wondered about the quality and how well it might hold up
over the years.

I used to get a great muslin via the Gohn Brothers in Indiana. I will
have to get an updated catalogue to see what they have currently.

Southern Belle muslin (by Springmaid) is 200 thread count but I have not
tried it. I understand it is used a lot in making dolls. Others here
suggested that I try Kona cotton instead of muslin. If and when I find
out more, I will post it.
Old April 13th 04, 12:59 AM
Phaedrine

In article ,
"QuiltShopHopper" wrote:

I assume that muslin, like all quilting fabrics, has lousy quality as well
as very high quality. I have never bought muslin, so I would like your
suggestions.

Thanks,

Cyndi

Here is a page, though I don't know how current, with several muslins
recommended (by them) for quilting.

http://www.glassthimble.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/basicfabrics.html
Old April 13th 04, 01:17 AM
Phaedrine

In article ,
"QuiltShopHopper" wrote:

I assume that muslin, like all quilting fabrics, has lousy quality as well
as very high quality. I have never bought muslin, so I would like your
suggestions.

Thanks,

Cyndi

And here is another site with quite an array of interesting muslin and
muslin types:

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?catid=157
Old April 14th 04, 12:56 AM
dogmom

Twice I've bought 12-yard "mini-bolts" of Moda muslin from Hancock's of
Paducah. A mini-bolt comes in at about $2.07 yard and I think the quality is
terrific.

Dogmom