Dianne and Rainbow linen

Old January 30th 05, 12:11 PM
Donna D.

Default Dianne and Rainbow linen

Rainbow Gallery makes rainbow linen 10% linen floss in a rainbow of colors.
So we have plenty of linen floss and colors to choose. We don't have to wait
and see what DMC does.
I found it at The Noble Craftsman. I finally got there after years of
wanting to. Its on the other side of Pittsburgh and I never get over that
way. Its a nice shop a lot like TeaTime. Lots of fibers to choose from.
Donna

Old January 30th 05, 02:40 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

10% linen and 90% what? As Lula mentioned, linen takes on dyes
differently. So, I'm not sure if it was mixed with another product.
That would definitely affect the way it reflected colors.

Rainbow Gallery makes some very nice threads. And speaking of threads,
so does The Olde Willow Stitchery. I used some of their variegated
threads for an ornament and was thrilled with the result. It has a
foil-like appearance unlike anything I've seen before. Don't know how
they do it, but it is beautiful.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old January 30th 05, 03:12 PM
Jenn Liace

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:40:21 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

10% linen and 90% what? As Lula mentioned, linen takes on dyes
differently. So, I'm not sure if it was mixed with another product.
That would definitely affect the way it reflected colors.

According to the packet of information I received from (I believe it
was) Karen C's EGA group when Rainbow Gallery did an event with them,
Rainbow Linen is 100% linen (I think the post mentioning it was a
typo), Size 16/2 (I don't know what that means but I'm passing it on
anyway) and comes in 63 colors, 20 yards per card.

Jenn L.
--
http://home.comcast.net/~sewunicorn/
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

Current projects:
Terry's Garden (Lesa Steele Designs)
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Starry Night (Vincent van Gogh via Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Weight loss to date: 18.5 lbs
Old January 30th 05, 03:19 PM
Jenn Ridley

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Donna D. wrote:
Rainbow Gallery makes rainbow linen 10% linen floss in a rainbow of colors.
So we have plenty of linen floss and colors to choose. We don't have to wait
and see what DMC does.

10% linen and 90% what? As Lula mentioned, linen takes on dyes
differently. So, I'm not sure if it was mixed with another product.
That would definitely affect the way it reflected colors.

It's a typo. Rainbow Gallery's linen thread is 100% linen. It's
called Rainbow Linen. An online color card can be found he
http://www.rainbowgallery.com/detail.cfm?ID=77

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, Carousel, Halloween Circle
Old January 30th 05, 03:58 PM
Sara Pitts

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
10% linen and 90% what?

My cards of Rainbow Linen say that it is 100% linen, size 16/2.

Sara
Old January 30th 05, 07:24 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, the "2" mean two plies. The 16 is the denier (I think that's the
right word) and has to do with weight. I have some lovely linen
threads, white and off-white, in several sizes (80/2, 40/2, etc). The
higher the number, the finer the thread.

Thanks. The 10% had me scratching my head. :-)

Linen thread is not easy to use. It is linen, with slubs, weak spots.
You can stitch along and all of a sudden there's a break. It matters
little the length you start out with. It's the properties of linen.
Probably a heavier weight will be less prone to these problems. Can't
tell, because I've never used a heavier weight.

I do know that I've enjoyed, immensely, working on my little project
using the new DMC linen threads. :-) Even though they're slightly
twisted, you don't get that affect after stitching. It rather flattens
out. So the appearance is far different than using cotton or silk
floss. It's been a great experiment.

Dianne

Old January 30th 05, 10:35 PM
Donna D.

As everyone pointed out it is a typo. I didn't see I typed 10 instead of
100. I hope its easier to use than the silk I am using now. I picked out
some purples and some floss called Patina I think will make great butterfly
wings.
I will have to look up Olde Willow Stitchery. I never heard of that.
17 fairies and I try to use something different for everyone of them so
linen is next on my list to try.
Donna