OT OI! Bag People!

Old October 6th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT OI! Bag People!

DD3 walks between 2 1/2 and 3 miles to school every day, and the same
again to get home. Yeah, someday I am going to meet the former mayor
that ditched the city bus system and sock him one.

Anyhow, she is taking art classes in addition to linguistics.
One of the instructors she is going to have repeatedly is very fond of
largish sketch pads, at present 18x24 inches (46x61 cm).
There has got to be a better way to carry these things.

While I am contemplating getting her a laminated bamboo field easel with
canvas carrying capacity that has an extendable handle and wheels like
some rolly luggage for christmas, she needs something now. I have had a
lot of ideas, but it is reconciling them with the fact that she has to
carry 25+ pounds of books as well that makes it difficult.

I'm afraid that if I make a back carrier that goes over her backpack,
that she will take off like the flying nun in the first stiff breeze.
Optimally she should be able to turn the narrow section to the wind and
secure it thusly quickly and easily. Plus not having it banging on her
legs would be good.

After making dozens of sketches, I am about to throw my hands up and just
get her a little red wagon. Except that would suck for maneuvering
stairs once she is inside the buildings.

Please point out the obvious that I am missing!

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old October 6th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

What about a large flat bag that hangs (example) on her left side with the
strap over her head/neck and resting on her right shoulder? It could hang
fairly close to and under her arm pit and (being flat) just rest against her
side. The other thought is to remover the paper from the pad and roll it up
into a cardboard mailing type tube and put the tube in a fabric cylinder
shaped pocket on the side of a backpack?

Good luck with the project and I'll sock that former mayor for ya, too!
Grrr!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 6th 10, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Have you considered a shopping cart with 2 or 4 wheels? During the winter I
live in an RV (camper) park and the fairgrounds is next door. Each Thursday
there is a Flea Market and Farmers Market. Most of us have a shopping cart
to help carry all our purchases. Mine is has 2 wheels. HTH
Barbara in FL

Old October 6th 10, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 6, 9:03*am, NightMist wrote:
[...]

One thing you might consider; I have seen some kids at our school use
them, are one of the luggage pieces with back pack straps,
collapsable handle, and small rollers on the bottom. Even the Euro
back pack crowd uses them, because of the versatility. Then she could
carry the large portfolio 18" x 24" pad, books, lunch and what-not and
only have to schlep them up the stairs when she arrives at school, but
because she has wheels on the bottom, and the collapsable handle, it
should help in that regard. You might see what is available at a
luggage store, and take her with you to get input, as to if she thinks
the are "cool enough" and not "totally gross", or whatever the
currently popular phrase is among the scholarly young.
John
Old October 6th 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 06/10/2010 14:03, NightMist wrote:

[...]

Triangular wheels for stair climbing!
http://www.bargainbrands.co.uk/shopping_trolley.html Just scroll down...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 6th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

No solutions from me but I do understand the challenge. I've had to carry
those large sketch pads and stretched canvases. They do indeed go airborne
and if too firmly attached to her body could cause a nasty spill. Proceed
with caution. Polly

o.uk...

Old October 6th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

[...]

One other thing to consider, if you do chose to go with the wheeled
luggage sort of thing, Make sure you get the one with the best set of
wheels you can buy. This bag will spend the greater part of it's usage
life, being wheeled along behind a child who might not be as careful
as an adult would, when it comes to choosing the "path forward", so to
speak. I have seen so many of those bags that come with cheap wheels,
that are being dragged through the airport with one of the wheels
broken and scraping along the concourse being struggled with by the
owner. I would make that the primary concern when selecting the bag,
rather than whether it had a lot of cutesy features.
John
Old October 6th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 13:03:54 +0000, NightMist wrote:

DD3 walks between 2 1/2 and 3 miles to school every day, and the same
again to get home. Yeah, someday I am going to meet the former mayor
that ditched the city bus system and sock him one.

Anyhow, she is taking art classes in addition to linguistics.
One of the instructors she is going to have repeatedly is very fond of
largish sketch pads, at present 18x24 inches (46x61 cm).
There has got to be a better way to carry these things.

While I am contemplating getting her a laminated bamboo field easel with
canvas carrying capacity that has an extendable handle and wheels like
some rolly luggage for christmas, she needs something now. I have had a
lot of ideas, but it is reconciling them with the fact that she has to
carry 25+ pounds of books as well that makes it difficult.

Woah!

Unless your daughter weighs at least 125 pounds, 25 pounds of books is way
too much for a young kid to carry, even in a properly fitted backpack
with pelvic band. The recommendations are no more than 10-20% of body weight.
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/safet.../aa090202a.htm
10% is preferable.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20858942
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20732580
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20582768
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17340156
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16670549
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18580364
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15211269
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17430435

Can she leave the sketch pad at class and have a second one
at home? Carry her drawings rolled up? Can she get a second
set of books?

Otherwise, the red wagon option is sounding better and better.

Old October 7th 10, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 08:03:54 -0500, NightMist wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Maybe one of those collapsable luggage carts? Then she can wheel sketchpad
and back pack home, but stash the cart some where at school.

Maureen

Old October 8th 10, 08:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

OK first off clarification, DD3 is 20 and in college.
I still worry that hauling such weight about on her back for so long is
going to reshape her. You gotta do what you gotta do though.

There are no lockers or any kind of storage on campus, teachers do not
have assigned rooms, there is no place she can stash her stuff. Heck
they only just put in bike racks, after proclaiming loudly that they
would not be responsible for theft or damage of bikes. It is a "car
college", no student housing and constantly expanding parking lots. Your
car is your locker, and if you don't have one then it just sucks to be
you.

At present I am thinking that a canvas sling is going to be the best
option until I can get her something better. While I am leaning toward
the easel, I am also looking at assorted wheeled thingies online. The
easel is made for plein aire, so it should have good wheels designed to
hold up over rough terrain, and bamboo is very weather resistant. I will
call Dick Blick and ask questions though, if they tell me it can take it
they will stand behind that. I may yet find something more suitable
elsewhere, who knows?

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

For those certain people again [email protected] Needlework 0 March 17th 09 02:16 PM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Quilting 1 December 2nd 04 02:28 AM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Quilting 0 December 1st 04 03:06 PM
AD: Jo's Little People Jo Marketplace 0 November 5th 04 09:06 PM
AD- silver pearls ID bag, amethyst wine amulet bag. Amber Beads 6 June 23rd 04 07:21 AM