A Question of Yarn ...

Old March 25th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

Default A Question of Yarn ...

Hi,

I have chosen a very simple pattern for a child's pullover. It's from
Pattons "Happy Days" #684. On page 12, called Up, Up, and Away. It calls
for Patons Astra, which I don't have and can't get, but I do have Wendy
Peter Pan four ply.

Will this work?

Sorry if it's a silly question. My knitting confidence isn't what it used
to be as there has been such a long break since my real knitting days. I've
started a few different things but have had problems and put them aside,
etc.

I've learned my lesson about ball winding and am going to pull the yarn from
the center of the skein and not stretch the it.

I can't believe how nervous I am.

Thanks,
Murielle

Old March 26th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Murielle wrote:
Hi,

I have chosen a very simple pattern for a child's pullover. It's from
Pattons "Happy Days" #684. On page 12, called Up, Up, and Away. It calls
for Patons Astra, which I don't have and can't get, but I do have Wendy
Peter Pan four ply.

Will this work?

Sorry if it's a silly question. My knitting confidence isn't what it used
to be as there has been such a long break since my real knitting days. I've
started a few different things but have had problems and put them aside,
etc.

I've learned my lesson about ball winding and am going to pull the yarn from
the center of the skein and not stretch the it.

I can't believe how nervous I am.

Thanks,
Murielle

Make a swatch. Make a swatch
My mantra is........makeaswatchmakeaswatchmakeaswatchmakeasw atch.

This is the only way you can find out. Different people knit in
different gauges. I ALWAYS make a swatch first, as I find that even
using the same yarn and needles, if perhaps it is in a different color,
it will knit up differently.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

p.s. the only silly question is the one you didn't ask.

Old March 26th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:46:06 +0000, Murielle wrote:

Hi,

I have chosen a very simple pattern for a child's pullover. It's from
Pattons "Happy Days" #684. On page 12, called Up, Up, and Away. It calls
for Patons Astra, which I don't have and can't get, but I do have Wendy
Peter Pan four ply.

Will this work?

Sorry if it's a silly question. My knitting confidence isn't what it used
to be as there has been such a long break since my real knitting days.
I've started a few different things but have had problems and put them
aside, etc.

I've learned my lesson about ball winding and am going to pull the yarn
from the center of the skein and not stretch the it.

I can't believe how nervous I am.

Thanks,
Murielle

Well done for deciding to have another go Murielle.

This link is for a Patons Astra stockist where it gives full information
about the yarn itself - weight category and how many yards/metres you
should be able to knit from a 50 gram ball of Astra. You could either
order from them or, better still, use the information on that page to
compare the details of Astra's thickness and yardage to the thickness and
yardage of the yarn you are thinking of using.
http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/...stra-yarn.html

Probably the easiest way to test would be to use the needle size
recommended for the pattern and knit a swatch with the yarn you want to
use. You will then be able to tell if it will knit up to the correct gauge
given in your pattern.

Good luck with this and do let us know how you get on. :-)

--
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light
Old March 26th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
.. .
Murielle wrote:
[...]

Thank you! I'll do that asap. :-)

Murielle

Old March 26th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
[...]

I will make a swatch, asap. That way I'll know right away if it will work.

Thank you!
Murielle
(Love your sigline!)

Old March 26th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 4:29*am, "Murielle" wrote:
[...]

(Love your sigline!)- Hide quoted text -

Aha Murielle that is quite a novelity a Thread that works ::::
If you make the swatch and it doesn`t simile the same as the one in
the pattern , you can recalculate it , [which i would do ] or do what
other people do and change needle size ,, PLEASE LET US know !! and we
can help you ,,,,
mirjam
Old March 26th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

Default A Question of Yarn ... Swatch and Beyond!

wrote in message
[...]

Hi Mirjam!

Well, I did *two* swatches. The pattern calls for 3 1/4mm and 4mm needles.
So I did a swatch for each size. The 3 1/4mm needles didn't produce the
correct gauge, but the 4mm needles were just a tiny titch off. So, I
decided to go for it.

I've chosen to make the sweater a little larger than the baby ... what am I
saying she's almost two! ... might normally wear so that it will be wearable
a little longer. I'm hoping that will give me a little wiggle room.

Cheapskate that I am, I made my swatches without breaking the wool. I need
every stitch of it. ;-))

I know I'll be writing again for advice. (Times like this, I miss my mom a
lot. I used to just be able to call her and she always knew ... you know?
Moms are the best!) And, while I don't have a digital camera I'm hoping
that I'll be able to get a picture when it's finished and share it with all
of you.

Thanks so much,
Murielle

Old March 26th 08, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:29:54 +0000, Murielle wrote:

[...]

That is the easiest way.

sigline - LOL. As soon as I saw it I knew it was meant for me! It
describes the way I see life. :-D

--
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light
Old March 26th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Murielle wrote:

Well, I did *two* swatches. The pattern calls for 3 1/4mm and 4mm
needles. So I did a swatch for each size. The 3 1/4mm needles didn't
produce the correct gauge, but the 4mm needles were just a tiny titch
off. So, I decided to go for it.

I'm thinking that the smaller needles are used for ribbing or edging, in
which case the larger needles would be used for the body, and it looks
like you've gotten the gauge you want with the larger ones.

I've chosen to make the sweater a little larger than the baby ... what
am I saying she's almost two! ... might normally wear so that it will
be wearable a little longer. I'm hoping that will give me a little
wiggle room.

Oh, definitely make it bigger. Give the little darling more time to
wear it out before she outgrows it.

Cheapskate that I am, I made my swatches without breaking the wool. I
need every stitch of it. ;-))

Heh, I'll often do the same, even though I know I should save the swatch
for future reference. I've been pretty lucky so far. Of course, now
that I've said that my next major project will go horribly awry...

I know I'll be writing again for advice. (Times like this, I miss my
mom a lot. I used to just be able to call her and she always knew ...
you know? Moms are the best!) And, while I don't have a digital
camera I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a picture when it's
finished and share it with all of you.

You know you can always pop in here and ask for help. We're friendly
:-)

The Other Kim
kimmeratsoylentgreenfielddotcom

Old March 26th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"The Other Kim" wrote in message

Murielle wrote:

Well, I did *two* swatches. The pattern calls for 3 1/4mm and 4mm
needles. So I did a swatch for each size. The 3 1/4mm needles didn't
produce the correct gauge, but the 4mm needles were just a tiny titch
off. So, I decided to go for it.

I'm thinking that the smaller needles are used for ribbing or edging, in
which case the larger needles would be used for the body, and it looks
like you've gotten the gauge you want with the larger ones.

That's it! It's such a simple stocking stitch sweater. But believe me, if
I could knit with my fingers crosssed, I would.

I've chosen to make the sweater a little larger than the baby ... what am
I saying she's almost two! ... might normally wear so that it will be
wearable a little longer. I'm hoping that will give me a little wiggle
room.

Oh, definitely make it bigger. Give the little darling more time to wear
it out before she outgrows it.

I hope she enjoys it. It would be a warm sweater because the yarn is so
light, but it will be nice for cool spring, summer evenings.

Cheapskate that I am, I made my swatches without breaking the wool. I
need every stitch of it. ;-))

Heh, I'll often do the same, even though I know I should save the swatch
for future reference. I've been pretty lucky so far. Of course, now that
I've said that my next major project will go horribly awry...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that. But, I didn't realize you
had to keep the swatches. It's a good idea, I'm sure. Though, to be
honest, I'm not sure why. ;-)

I know I'll be writing again for advice. (Times like this, I miss my
mom a lot. I used to just be able to call her and she always knew ...
you know? Moms are the best!) And, while I don't have a digital camera
I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a picture when it's finished and
share it with all of you.

You know you can always pop in here and ask for help. We're friendly :-)

You sure are!

yarn question Stella Fenley Yarn 6 April 8th 06 04:25 AM
A Question about "DK yarn"?? please? [email protected] Yarn 13 July 21st 05 07:25 PM
yarn question Allaya Diep Yarn 7 October 29th 04 09:46 AM
question about yarn Stella Fenley Yarn 2 January 31st 04 01:19 PM
question about yarn Stella Fenley Yarn 10 December 23rd 03 02:56 PM