Mitten Question

Old March 23rd 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Mitten Question

Hi All,

I'm new at mitten making, and am having trouble following the
pattern. I was wondering if any of you could help.

I'm at the place where I need to make the opening for the thumb, and
the instructions read:

Knit 1, place 10 stitches on waste yarn or safety pin. Knit through
the rest of the round. Next round, k1, cast on 10...

If I do as instructed, I will have to carry my working yarn across the
10 stitches of waste yarn, in order to continue the round. Won't that
long float be a problem inside the thumb?

What's up with this?

Hesira
Old March 23rd 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Mar 23, 5:04*am, hesira wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new at mitten making, and am having trouble following the
pattern. *I was wondering if any of you could help.

I'm at the place where I need to make the opening for the thumb, and
the instructions read:

Knit 1, place 10 stitches on waste yarn or safety pin. *Knit through
the rest of the round. *Next round, k1, cast on 10...

If I do as instructed, I will have to carry my working yarn across the
10 stitches of waste yarn, in order to continue the round. *Won't that
long float be a problem inside the thumb?

What's up with this?

Hesira

Hesira i weant to help , [ i am a regular mittens knitter] but don`t
understand the instructions ,
Do you knit flat or in the round ?
I knmit mine in the flat ,
make a cuff than knit 2 cm [ usually about 4 rounds ]plain than i
strat kniting building up my thumb , in my pattern the thumbs have no
right hand left hand ,, i arrange the st on the 3 dps half on one and
a 1/4 on each of the other needles ,, , put a marker i go on knitting
in the round this way .
make a st, k1, make a st, knit 2 rounds .
make a st k3 make a st knit 2 rounds
make a st k5 make a st knit 2 rounds
make a st. k7 make a st knit 2 rounds ,
make a st , k9 make a st knit 2 rounds
make a st k11, make a st knit 2 rounds ,,,
now when you come to the 11 new st. move them to a safety pin or other
yarn Make 1 st and knit on till your mitten is long enough cover the
shortest finger , now you start to descreas for end of mitten. knit
together the 2nd + 3rd stich at begining and end of the needle with
half the stichces , and on the parallel side of the 1/4 needles. [each
only one decreas.
knit 2 rounds and decrese again , every 3 round you decrrease thus 4
st , till you are left with 4 -6 on both sides , this you can decrese
at once.
of the one st made for the upper knitting , knit in the round till you
get to the nail , k 2 togther [makes 6] all round k one round , k 2
together
all round [ makes 3 ] cut thread , put on in [sewing] needle`s hole ,
collect the 3 stich , turn thumb inside
out pull thread tight to close thumb . sew neartly turn again ,,, you
have a mitten ,,,,,
you are welcome to use this mirjam
Old March 23rd 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default Mitten Question [Correction i knit in the ROUND ]

On Mar 23, 6:10*am, wrote:
On Mar 23, 5:04*am, hesira wrote:

Hi All,

I'm new at mitten making, and am having trouble following the
pattern. *I was wondering if any of you could help.

I'm at the place where I need to make the opening for the thumb, and
the instructions read:

Knit 1, place 10 stitches on waste yarn or safety pin. *Knit through
the rest of the round. *Next round, k1, cast on 10...

If I do as instructed, I will have to carry my working yarn across the
10 stitches of waste yarn, in order to continue the round. *Won't that
long float be a problem inside the thumb?

What's up with this?

Hesira

Hesira i weant to help , [ i am a regular mittens knitter] but don`t
understand the instructions ,
Do you knit flat or in the round ?
I KNIT MINE IN THE ROUND
[...]
you are welcome to use this mirjam- Hide quoted text -

Old March 23rd 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

hesira wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new at mitten making, and am having trouble following the
pattern. I was wondering if any of you could help.

I'm at the place where I need to make the opening for the thumb, and
the instructions read:

Knit 1, place 10 stitches on waste yarn or safety pin. Knit through
the rest of the round. Next round, k1, cast on 10...

If I do as instructed, I will have to carry my working yarn across the
10 stitches of waste yarn, in order to continue the round. Won't that
long float be a problem inside the thumb?

What's up with this?

I would knit the 10 sts first, then put them on a holder.

sue
Old March 23rd 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

On Mar 22, 11:10*pm, wrote:
On Mar 23, 5:04*am, hesira wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info, Mirjam. I will have to sit down and read through
it carefully.

Hesira
Old March 23rd 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

On Mar 23, 10:36*am, suzee wrote:
hesira wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new at mitten making, and am having trouble following the
pattern. *I was wondering if any of you could help.

I'm at the place where I need to make the opening for the thumb, and
the instructions read:

Knit 1, place 10 stitches on waste yarn or safety pin. *Knit through
the rest of the round. *Next round, k1, cast on 10...

If I do as instructed, I will have to carry my working yarn across the
10 stitches of waste yarn, in order to continue the round. *Won't that
long float be a problem inside the thumb?

What's up with this?

I would knit the 10 sts first, then put them on a holder.

sue

Thanks, Sue. I ended up doing as you say: I knitted the 10 stitches
with scrap yarn and put them back on the left needle, and continued in
the pattern. I don't intend to cast on the 10 stitches on the next
round. When I finish the hand, I'll cut the scrap yarn and put those
stitches on dpns and make the thumb. I made one mitten before using
the method I just described from a different pattern.

I still don't understand how I could do the thumb as instructed in
this pattern. If you put the stitches on a holder, you have to carry
a long float across those stitches.

Hesira
Old March 23rd 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

On Mar 23, 12:57*pm, suzee wrote:
hesira wrote:
On Mar 23, 10:36 am, suzee wrote:
hesira wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's a good alternative - you don't have to do the CO sts that
way, your waste yarn is both a stitch holder and a CO.

I still don't understand how I could do the thumb as instructed in
this pattern. *If you put the stitches on a holder, you have to carry
a long float across those stitches.

Some patterns are poorly written; in this case it probably should have
been written as knitting the 10 sts, THEN putting them on a holder. Some
pattern writers actually do that in practice, but assume knitters will
do the same, so they don't put it in that way.

sue

I also just realized the original pattern was written in French.
Maybe the instructions were clouded in translation.

Hesira

Old March 24th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
hesira wrote:
hesira wrote:
suzee wrote:
hesira wrote:

[...]

snip
I also just realized the original pattern was written in French.
Maybe the instructions were clouded in translation.

You're probably right and it's just poorly translated or poorly written.
Still, I just had an idea: maybe they put the float across and then,
on the next round, they use the float as the base yarn to cast on the
ten stitches, by pulling up a loop alternately on each side of the float.
Then when they pick up stitches to knit the thumb, they pick
them up from the (very taut) float and get very tight stitches.

Would that help prevent the gap that so often happens with mitten thumbs?

=Tamar
Old March 24th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Mar 24, 2:44*am, (Richard Eney) wrote:
In article ,

hesira wrote:
hesira wrote:
suzee wrote:
hesira wrote:
[...]

=Tamar- Hide quoted text -

Tamar in my experience [ and pattern ] i never have a gap between
thumb and body of mitten as it is knitted in one `go`,,,, mirjam