OT - Self service cash registers

Old February 28th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default OT - Handicapped Parking Spaces...

Okay, now another angle to this conversation. Does your area have
"Stork Spots"? This is becoming a new thing around here. This is
parking for pregnant women. I can see how this would be of help,
especially when you get far along. They did not have these when I was
pregnant.

But I guess people can abuse these as well. You can say you are and be
early on and who could tell?

I have gotten used to parking further back because I like to walk, and
like the exercise even if it is a short distance. Every little bit
helps.

Di

Old February 28th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi the

Ohh, I didn't mean to imply some people should have them and not others.
My father in law (bless him) had a sticker as well. Going into the store he
would be fine...walking great. But by the time he finished what he was doing
his back was giving out on him. He didn't have a wheelchair and wouldn't use
a cane either.
These reserved spaces are a good thing for all who need them.

take care
donna from ontario, canada

wrote in message
oups.com...
My husband has the placard because he has a prosthetic leg. He belongs
to a newsgroup associated with that. They periodically have long drawn
out "debates" about who should get to use them with some of them
believing they should be only for those in a wheelchair. He doesn't
agree with that and uses his regularly.

The other side is my Sister-In-Law has one because my nephew has
Cerebral Palsy (he can walk, but he sometimes gets very tired). She
uses it for herself all the time when he's not with her and laughs
about it, which I find inexcusable.

BB

Old February 28th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Diane,
Not only have I seen them, I've seen 70 year old women using them!
AND I saw one man, who's very preggers wife was in the pssgr. seat use it.
(Must've figured, we'll my WIFE is preggers!)
LOL
Noreen

ups.com...

Old February 28th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Donna D." wrote in message
.. .
Hi the

Ohh, I didn't mean to imply some people should have them and not others.
My father in law (bless him) had a sticker as well. Going into the store

he
would be fine...walking great. But by the time he finished what he was

doing
his back was giving out on him. He didn't have a wheelchair and wouldn't

use
a cane either.
These reserved spaces are a good thing for all who need them.

take care
donna from ontario, canada

Don't know about other provinces or the U.S., but in Winnipeg, next down
from the Handicapped spaces are one or two spaces for mothers/families with
infants - marked in pink paint with a white baby carriage. Good idea.

Shelagh

Old February 28th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Yes, we have those here in Ontario as well. And, you're right a very good
idea. I've used them on many of occassion with my little one (well now
4..not so little anymore .

donna from ontario, canada

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

.. .

Old February 28th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote in message
oups.com...
Donna,

I didn't read your post as implying some people shouldn't have them! I
only repsonded because I think it's interesting that even among a group
of people who have them (specifially, leg amputees), there can be huge
disagreements
about who should use them.

There will always be people who abuse a privilege. I don't think my
husband does, or would. My SIL most surely abuses it.

BB

Nodding in agreement with BB... I didn't take it as an implication of any
sort either, I just responded, as BB did, because it's an interesting
subject.
JM2c,
Noreen

Old March 1st 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I'm not keeping up with the posts on this group!!!
But I read this thread with interest, as I had a situation once.

I am a tourist guide, and on this occasion I had a group of about 6 people,
of which 4 were unable to walk very far at all. And what walking they did
was at a snails pace. I had to take them to a shopping centre, I think it
was for lunch or something, but it may not have been. These people were
foreign, and in their own country had disabled stickers for their vehicles,
but not for South Africa (of course). Anyway, next to the door was a
parking spot for the disabled, so i pulled into it, with the intention of
going into the shopping centre to get a wheelchair for the most severely
disabled, taking the people to where they needed to be, and then to move the
van again. an extremely irate attendant came and refused to let me stop
there, even after I explained.

Now, as tourist guides we shouldn't leave our tourists in any area where
they are vulnerable, so I couldn't leave them standing outside the centre
while I parked. I couldn't direct them to the place without leaving the
vehicle myself, and I also couldn't take them with me to the parking spot or
we'd still be there today, waiting for someone to get back. Eventually I
left them outside the shopping centre. I thnk they were Indians, and if I'd
tried to direct them into the centre to the place we needed to be, we'd ALSO
still be there, waiting for them to come out. (Indian female tourists like
shops)

Catherine

Old March 1st 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Keith has a handicapped parking sticker, and some people glare at him when
he uses it. We don't really care any more, and as long as someone has a
sticker, we assume that it is legit. After all, there are invisible
disabilities. As for the others, here, they are ticketed.
And, Catherine, you need to get some kind of permit so that your particular
situation won't arise again.

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 1st 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I have a disabled parking ticket. Yet to look at me you would think I
look a picture of health and younger than my years.
But take a look under my clothes ( better not it is not a pretty sight).
However you would see two kidney operation scars (growth in kidney)
plus a huge appendix scar and a heart bypass scar that goes from throat
to under ribs.
People think I look okay, but they do not follow me up the road after
going up a slope and see me frantically finding my spray. It is worse on
cold and windy days. There is one shop in the town centre were I can
tell you most things in the window. It is where I stop and gaze to get
my breath back again.
If anyone queries my right to park I can always show them my chest scar
and the card that I have to carry showing exactly where the 6 stents are
in my heart.
Shirley

In message , Katherine
writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old March 1st 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi there

Yes, so correct...always abusers....unfortunately.

take care
donna from ontario, canada

Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
A great cash income opportunity tessa Beads 1 February 24th 04 02:35 AM
Need cash ? get the cash find out how Ohpineda Glass 0 August 3rd 03 08:20 PM