New-To-Me Sewing Machine (Really Really LONG...or short)

Old March 19th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default New-To-Me Sewing Machine (Really Really LONG...or short)

I am so happy.

I got a new toy.

It's not very fancy.

But it's white and turquoi.........(se)

Ok, so I'm not good at writing poems...LOL But I tried. I was looking in
the local paper yesterday and I came across an AD for Sewing Machine for
sale. Let me start the story at the beginning...

(For those who want the Coles Notes version of my story: It's a white and
turquoise Morse brand in a caninet and it purrs.... I am so happy.)

April 2005. A Saturday. I walk into the LQS store with my close friend
Danielle who sews too. I ask the owner for a serger demo. Danielle says,
"What's a serger?" OH boy, was she in for something...LOL. After the demo,
she says "I gotta have one of those!" So when we get back to my place, we
are in luck, our husbands are hanging out together (they are close friends
too). We tag team and tell them how much a serger will change our life.
Now it's Monday evening and I get home late cause of work and the LQS is
closed before I get home. I get a call from Danielle. She says.. "So did
you get it?" "Not yet, we said we would go together and buy it, why?" . She
proceeds to tell me that during her lunch break her husband said "OK,let's
go look at it" so he gets a demo from the lady and buys it for her on the
spot. Let's just say after that my husband had no chance. "HOney, Aaron
bought one for Danielle...I gotta have one now too...he went for the
demo....why cant you just come for the demo and see how much I need
one....I'll be able to sew all the PJ pants you want...." (i learnt this
beggin' technique as a child...huh....still works...LOL) So I go to pick
mine up on Tuesday.

That was sewing machine #1 (I know it's not quite a sewing machine, but the
hubby calls it a sewing machine cause it sews...LOL)

September 2005: I am looking at the newspaper and see someone is selling a
Husqvarna #1 and "happen" to mention it at the right strategic time. My
husband who would normally say "no, be happy with what you got in April"
said "Why dont you buy it then?" "Because it's $3000" (which after
research, was too much)."Why is it worth $3000?" (Bad choice of words for
him cause...) The next two weeks were what I call "training" for my husband
on sewing machines and functions, etc... I go to the same LQS and get a
demo on the embroidery machines. And find the most basic one Scandanavia
300 for $1699 plus tax. Then I needed the software package, etc... so it
would come to $3100. Wow, now is that not a deal compared to the $3000 for
the used, no warantee, machine? Of course. grin 3 days later, my new
sewing machine arrives. As I leave, Linda (the LQS owner and fast
approaching close friend since Danielle and I spend so much time there) says
"Now you have 3 months from today to decide if you want to upgrade to a
larger machine."

December 2005: (Oh Linda at the LQS, why must you plant a seed in my head?
Things in my head dont grow at reality speed, they grow like the mushroom
cloud of a nuclear bomb.") This sentence now plagues me until about 2 weeks
before the end of the 3 months. I keep having visions of the larger better
machine dancing in my head. Then I would fight off the evil devil on my
shoulder and try so hard to listen to the angel on my other shoulder saying
"Christina, be happy with the beautiful machine your loving husband bought
you. There are poor children in Africa who cant eat today and you are so
lucky." But that mean Devil on the other shoulder always has such good
comebacks to whatever the Angel says. OH, those voices in my head...LOL
(Please believe me, I am normal.....at least I think i am..LOL) I think:
How do I approach my husband and tell him I am thinking of upgrading? How?
Time is runing out. Another day goes by and the pain and fear are mounting
as another day goes by. Finally I just do it...and the results are not
looking good. He says "Do you think I am crazy? I just bought you TWO
machines this year and you want a third?" (Now ladies, just wondering your
opinion....is upgrading REALLY a third? Or does this still count as the
second...just modified?) He sticks to his guns and says it's a third
machine. Wow, I've wasted nearly 2 months of workable opportunity and now I
must scram it all less than 2 weeks. OK, I've dealt with worse..I can do
it. And just in the nick of time, he finally wears thin and says "OK, just
get the darn thing and stop pestering me about it." The weight just lifts
from my shoulders and the devil on my right shoulder just laughs...(or is
the devil suppose to be on the left?) ..anyways. I order my new Husvarna
Quilt Designer 2. (And just for the record, I love love love and have never
even regretted not going with the Designer 1 or SE, I love this one.)

So after all that, you would think I WOULDNT have the nerve to say to my
husband last week "Honey, there is a sewing machine for sale in the paper
that someone is selling." But I did and ducked in fear that a lamp was
travelling at lightning speed towards my head. And without flinching he
said "How much?" "$80 and it comes in a cabinet." trying not to grin
"Wow, call and see if it's gone. That's a good deal"

And March 2006 - I get my new-to-me Morse White and funky coloured Turquoise
sewing machine in Cabinet all snuggled in my sewing room.

So, here's my question: Would you call this the THIRD or FOURTH machine in
one year? grin

--
Christina Doucette
Petawawa, ON, Canada

Old March 19th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Christina Doucette wrote:

I am so happy.

I got a new toy.

It's not very fancy.

But it's white and turquoi.........(se)

Ok, so I'm not good at writing poems...LOL But I tried. I was looking in
the local paper yesterday and I came across an AD for Sewing Machine for
sale. Let me start the story at the beginning...

(For those who want the Coles Notes version of my story: It's a white and
turquoise Morse brand in a caninet and it purrs.... I am so happy.)

Hehehehehehehehehehehehe!!! Haven't heard THAT one in a while!

[...]

Count it how you like, darlin'. Yer doin' well there!

I currently have 13 machines in my keeping, but I have found a home for
the big heavy ole New Home monster. It sews really sweetly, but is just
not a keeper for me. One of my present bunch of kids wants it, so it's
going to a new home in a low income family (2 kids, third on the way,
mum part time, dad unpaid house husband). it'll give them all hours of
harmless fun and amusement, and the kid is keen, so she'll have fun with it.

The really nice thing for me is that this one going will give me room
for another couple of small ones to come and roost with me!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old March 19th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

oooh I'm turning a nasty green colour!!lol
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old March 19th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

So after all that, you would think I WOULDNT have the nerve to say to my
husband last week "Honey, there is a sewing machine for sale in the paper
that someone is selling." But I did and ducked in fear that a lamp was
travelling at lightning speed towards my head. And without flinching he
said "How much?" "$80 and it comes in a cabinet." trying not to grin
"Wow, call and see if it's gone. That's a good deal"

And March 2006 - I get my new-to-me Morse White and funky coloured

Turquoise
sewing machine in Cabinet all snuggled in my sewing room.

So, here's my question: Would you call this the THIRD or FOURTH machine

in
one year? grin

Anyway I would think of it this way -- it's the first cabinet you bought
this year and it happened to have a machine in it and the machine was free.
Sometimes you buy second hand furniture and people forget to clean out the
drawers ...

Ellen

Old March 19th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Christina Doucette" wrote:

So, here's my question: Would you call this the THIRD or FOURTH machine in
one year? grin

Personally, I'd call it your third, but then I'm sort of biased. G I
did a similar thing last year, though not quite so *much*. In March,
2005, I bought a wonderful Bernina 440QE and loved it. But then the
other models with the BSR arrived on the scene, and I ended up swapping
my 440 for the 630 in a move similar to yours last November. I couldn't
be happier! But I still consider that I have *one* new machine.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old March 19th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article 2UhTf.37921$oL.17773@attbi_s71,
"KJ" wrote:

Sandy, what made the 630 more attractive to you than the 440? (I'm
compiling a wish list.)
KJ

Kathyl, I really loved the 440, so that should tell you how I feel about
the 630! Either one of them is a great machine. However, you asked what
made the 630 more attractive to me.

First, I prefer knobs to buttons, and the 630 has knobs stitch length
and stitch width, while everything on the 440 was buttons. Second, I
love the touch screen that the 630 has; it's very intuitive to use and
conveniently laid out.

Third, the 630 has a Personal Program, which is really cool. With that,
I can save altered stitches (like the one I use for putting pieces of
batting together quickly) or combinations of stitches (for example, the
lettering I might use on a quilt label, or a decorative combination).
This Personal Program is saved even after turning off the machine and is
easy to edit or to delete if I change my mind about parts of it.

Fourth, there's a safety feature I can (and do!) turn on to prevent
trying to do zigzag stuff when I have the wrong stitch plate or presser
foot attached.

There are more features that this model has (as well as more fancy
stitches), but most of them weren't really factors in my decision.
Actually, the first three things I listed above were the "biggies".

One *disadvantage* of the 630 as compared to the 440 was that it didn't
include the walking foot or the BSR -- but those are available
separately. HTH!

Old March 20th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wow! Christina! I bow in awe!!!!!

I set up a folder in my computer to save pictures of quilts I like for
"Inspiration"....I saved your post there too!!!!
MAmadurk

--
I don't consider myself a book collector. I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe. -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books. -Thomas Jefferson

RCTQ FAQ for May 2005 frood Quilting 5 May 7th 05 07:07 PM
FAQ for RCTQ frood Quilting 9 April 5th 05 07:50 PM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 06:43 PM
sewing machine repair (Long winded) Christina in Ok Quilting 8 November 2nd 03 04:51 AM