Provisional vs. figure-8 cast-on for toe-up socks

Old February 24th 05, 10:35 PM
Randall Nortman

Default Provisional vs. figure-8 cast-on for toe-up socks

I have another newbie question for the experts... I really appreciate
all the advice I'm getting from this group, and I do intend to stick
around and contribute what I've learned back to the group over time!

I've been finding instructions for toe-up socks online, and it seems
that there are essentially two ways to start the toe. The most common
seems to be the provisional cast-on, where you knit a few rows flat
and then pick up the provisional cast-on loops and start the circular
knitting. The other is a figure-eight cast-on onto two needles, and
then you start circular knitting around these loops immediately.

Any opinions on which method results in better (more comfortable and
durable) toes? Does it matter, or should I just choose whichever one
seems easiest to me?

Also, I intend to try using double-pointed needles at first, but then
I'll also probably try the one-circular and two-circular methods,
since those seem to be pretty popular these days. Any opinions on
which way is easiest?

Thanks!

--
Randall
Old February 25th 05, 12:28 AM
Laura J

Hi Randall,

Welcome to the group! I don't recall seeing your name around here before
but if I just missed it, please forgive me.

I can't help you out on your first question because I've never done toe-up
socks. You'll have to come back and let me know how they work out. As for
the second question, I really like the Magic Loop method but I think I might
be confused if I hadn't first done socks on dpns. Just because a lot of the
patterns I've seen give instructions referring to needle 1, 2, 3, etc. So
having done one pair on dpns, I know what they're talking about but if I had
just jumped straight to magic loop I might have been lost.

Just my two cents. Maybe someone who started out on Magic Loop can share
their experience.

Good luck!

LauraJ

ink.net...

Old February 25th 05, 01:40 AM
Wooly

When I make toe-up socks (not often) I cast on and make a total of
four rows of stockinette. Next, pick up two stitches in each end and
however many on the opposite long side (from the cast-on loops)
necessary to equal the live stitches.

Start increasing as usual to shape the toe.

Alternate is to cast on the total number of stitches in waste yarn,
make a short-row toe from these live stitches, 50% provisional cast-on
is joined in a circle to half the toe stitches (must take 50% of the
existing live stitches off the provisional cast-on, obviously), make
the foot etc. Go back when everything else is done and graft the toe.
Old February 25th 05, 01:56 AM
JJMolvik

[...]

I haven't tried my hand at a provisional cast on. I LOVE the figure 8 cast
on, especially doing two at once Magic-Loop method. I did start out making
socks top down, one at a time, on dpns. However, I had graduated myself to
doing 2 on 1 (Magic-Loop) before I tried toe-up. Does that make sense?

HTH

JJMolvik

Old February 25th 05, 02:23 AM
Randall Nortman

On 2005-02-25, JJMolvik wrote:

I haven't tried my hand at a provisional cast on. I LOVE the figure 8 cast
on, especially doing two at once Magic-Loop method. I did start out making
socks top down, one at a time, on dpns. However, I had graduated myself to
doing 2 on 1 (Magic-Loop) before I tried toe-up. Does that make sense?

Do you actually finish a pair faster doing both socks at once? It
seems like you have to make the same number of stitches either way, so
the total amount of time ought to be about the same. Is there
some other advantage I'm missing?

Thanks for the info.

--
Randall
Old February 25th 05, 09:45 AM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

What you avoid when making 2 socks at the same time (whatever method you
use) is the dreaded second sock syndrome. I have a big problem with this.
You finish one sock and then have to do it all again, and I HATE doing the
same thing twice straight away. Now don't get me wrong, if I like a
pattern I'll do it ad nauseam, but NOT immediately! I do like a bit of
variety in between. So the only way to get a pair of socks is to do both at
the same time. And I actually prefer toe up socks using the figure 8 cast
on (it always feels like magic to me) on 2 circular needles as described in
Socks Soar on 2 Circular Needles.
And that reminds me I must finish the socks I started for DSIL last winter,
before it stops snowing
HTH
Love Christine

Old February 25th 05, 08:15 PM
Randall Nortman

On 2005-02-25, JJMolvik wrote:
[...]
I haven't tried my hand at a provisional cast on. I LOVE the figure 8 cast
on, especially doing two at once Magic-Loop method. I did start out making
socks top down, one at a time, on dpns. However, I had graduated myself to
doing 2 on 1 (Magic-Loop) before I tried toe-up. Does that make sense?

I just knitted a little "test toe" using figure-8 and the magic loop
method on scrap worsted-weight yarn and #8 bamboo circulars. It was
pretty confusing to figure out how to get started, and my stiches
seemed to end up unworkably tight even if I was careful to knit them
loosely. But with a little practice I seem to be doing a bit better,
so I think I'm going to order some size 0 and size 1 Addi Turbo
circulars and try my socks this way. (Though probably one sock at a
time, because my head might explode if I'm trying to learn too much at
once.)

Thanks for your advice.

--
Randall
Old February 25th 05, 08:35 PM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

Good idea to do 1 at a time to start with, but do make sure you write down
or memorise (unlikely to remember without writing down in my case!) the
numbers of rows in the foot and cuff so you don't end up with odd socks
(don't ask me how I know that!!)
Love Christine

link.net...

Old February 25th 05, 08:54 PM
Carey N.

Now _that_ might be one of the advantages of doing both socks at once, plus
more even gauge.
(Could apply to anything of which there are two...don't ask how I know that
one.)
--
Carey in MA
(stepping back and hushing up.....)

Old February 25th 05, 09:45 PM
spampot

Wooly wrote:
When I make toe-up socks (not often) I cast on and make a total of
four rows of stockinette. Next, pick up two stitches in each end and
however many on the opposite long side (from the cast-on loops)
necessary to equal the live stitches.

Start increasing as usual to shape the toe.

Alternate is to cast on the total number of stitches in waste yarn,
make a short-row toe from these live stitches, 50% provisional cast-on
is joined in a circle to half the toe stitches (must take 50% of the
existing live stitches off the provisional cast-on, obviously), make
the foot etc. Go back when everything else is done and graft the toe.

One of the things I love most about the toe-up socks is that with the
right cast-on, the toe grafting (which I HATE) is eliminated.

Figure Four Bend O J Knots 1 April 5th 05 02:48 AM
Proviaional Cast On..Colonial House hat Jill Delgado Yarn 7 May 25th 04 12:41 AM
Figure Four Bend Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:17 AM