What would happen to...

Old July 6th 03, 06:47 PM
Les & Claire

Default What would happen to...

....... a ring like this? http://tinyurl.com/fonr

Remade perhaps or resold? Seems a shame to break it up but I've been
told remaking is the more common path.... what do you think?

Les

--
_ _

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"
_ _

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you.! I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"
_ _

The return E-Mail address is obviously flawed.

Old July 6th 03, 06:56 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 10:48:27 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Les & Claire"
wrote:

...... a ring like this? (masked ebay link snipped)

Remade perhaps or resold? Seems a shame to break it up but I've been
told remaking is the more common path.... what do you think?

Les

Well Les, are you happy now? I allowed this one.

Please, though, don't do this again. I'm not actually that stupid. The
question is perhaps valid, but it's also a very thinly veiled advertisment for
your ebay auction of the ring. I doubt this fools anyone. If you have a
question like this where you honesty wish to know the answer, it would be easy
to post a url for just the image, not the whole ebay ad. Nevertheless, perhaps
you really do wish to poll the readership on their opinions on what will happen
to this ring. So be it. On the generous assumption that this is indeed your
intent, I've allowed this post. But like I said, please don't make this a
habit. And please don't also assume that the readers of this group are a large
pool of folks eager to buy finished jewelry on ebay. Most of us make it, not
buy it on ebay.

To answer your question, Some buyers will get it just to buy the diamonds, if
the selling price is low enough that the ring is going for near or under the
wholesale value of the diamonds. Others, the retail buyers, might be just
buying a ring they like, and will wear. These latter are likely to pay more.

It suffers a little, in the "break it down for materials" catagory, in that it's
two tone, which makes it slightly harder to salvage the metal. One has to
seperate the colors and clean off the solder, etc. Can't just melt the thing
down as is.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

Old July 6th 03, 11:47 PM
Les & Claire

Peter,
your generosity, steadfast even-handedness and inscrutable
incorruptibility are legendary across seven continents to my knowledge
alone. Your apology is not only unnecessary but also saddens me to the point
of deep, bereft servitude lightened only by the gravitas in which I say..

"OK, Fair cop guv!"

But having my collar felt in such a way only shames me into the depths
of my advertising depravity that unfortunately, after your blinding light of
truth has pierced my inner darkness, I am now condemned to inhabit for the
long, dark eons of soulessness that confront my tawdry existence.

Mind you, the tips on the business are very handy and also welcome to say
the least. Hail and well met Peter! A moderator a notch above the usual!

Les

"Peter W. Rowe" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 10:58:11 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Peter W. Rowe
wrote:

Well Les, are you happy now? I allowed this one.

Ah well. let me apologize for the tone of the posting I just sent. You

got me
in a bit of a "mood" here. I may have been a little out of line. Sorry

'bout
that. I went back and looked at your ebay ad, and noticed that not only

is it
almost over, but you've not yet reached your reserve bid. So maybe I was

hasty
in assuming you were trying to advertise. Not enough time left for that

to be
effective. Sorry 'bout my perhaps hasty assumption.. I should know

better than
to let my mood get in the way of my judgement. That's my fault, not

yours.

A note. You'll have better luck selling this sort of thing if you can

provide
more information on the ring. "sparkling white" isn't a useful

description for
the diamonds for many sellers. They want to know clarity and color

grades, as
well as better estimates of the actual weights of the stones, and perhaps

an
overall gram weight of the ring. Your local jeweler can give you a

decent idea
of these things. I note, for example, that your estimate of sizes has to

be a
bit off. A 5mm center stone would be about a half carat, while 4mm ones

would
be around a quarter carat each. That doesn't add up to the total weight

you
specified, so then a knowledgeable buyer won't quite know what to expect,

and
might shy away.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

Old July 6th 03, 11:47 PM
NE333RO

Ah well. let me apologize for the tone of the posting I just sent. You got
me
in a bit of a "mood" here. I may have been a little out of line. Sorry
'bout
that. I went back and looked at your ebay ad, and noticed that not only is
it
almost over, but you've not yet reached your reserve bid. So maybe I was
hasty
in assuming you were trying to advertise.

I think you hit it right the first time. Thats at least the second time
that same poster has posted a link to the same ring.
Old July 6th 03, 11:49 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 15:46:22 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Les & Claire"
wrote:

Peter,
your generosity, steadfast even-handedness and inscrutable
incorruptibility are legendary across seven continents to my knowledge
alone. Your apology is not only unnecessary but also saddens me to the point
of deep, bereft servitude lightened only by the gravitas in which I say..

"OK, Fair cop guv!"

But having my collar felt in such a way only shames me into the depths
of my advertising depravity that unfortunately, after your blinding light of
truth has pierced my inner darkness, I am now condemned to inhabit for the
long, dark eons of soulessness that confront my tawdry existence.

Mind you, the tips on the business are very handy and also welcome to say
the least. Hail and well met Peter! A moderator a notch above the usual!

Les

OK, OK, Ok... I'm laughing hard now.
You should write for a living, y'know?

Chuckles

Peter
Old July 7th 03, 01:35 AM
Abrasha

Les & Claire wrote:

Peter,
your generosity, steadfast even-handedness and inscrutable
incorruptibility are legendary across seven continents to my knowledge
alone. Your apology is not only unnecessary but also saddens me to the point
of deep, bereft servitude lightened only by the gravitas in which I say..

"OK, Fair cop guv!"

But having my collar felt in such a way only shames me into the depths
of my advertising depravity that unfortunately, after your blinding light of
truth has pierced my inner darkness, I am now condemned to inhabit for the
long, dark eons of soulessness that confront my tawdry existence.

Mind you, the tips on the business are very handy and also welcome to say
the least. Hail and well met Peter! A moderator a notch above the usual!

Les

ROTHFLMAO

And ****, now I have to clean my monitor to boot, after squirting champagne all
over it! Through my nose.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old July 7th 03, 03:59 PM
Les & Claire

Abrasha,
just visited your site. Your work is beautiful! I've always
looked at ball races, engine valves and metal of many types and seen the
sheen, the forms that you express here... lovely! Your site very
professional and a joy to use. But the image of your nasal effusions made me
smile more! )

Les

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Les & Claire wrote:

Peter,
your generosity, steadfast even-handedness and inscrutable
incorruptibility are legendary across seven continents to my knowledge
[snip]

Old July 7th 03, 04:01 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 17:37:13 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

ROTHFLMAO

And ****, now I have to clean my monitor to boot, after squirting champagne all
over it! Through my nose.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Good thing Les and I really got to ya then. If you'd only half heartedly
leaked, instead of your monitor, you'd have only hit the keyboard. Much
harder to clean off, and ya might have shorted it out or something...

Peter
Old July 8th 03, 04:33 AM
Newbeader

Peter:
It is not even a thinly disguised question in an attempt to get people to
look at his auction.

He asked a different, not so thinly disguised question on the ebay ng, and
then spat venom when it was suggested that he stop.

Old July 9th 03, 03:20 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:52:55 GMT, "Les & Claire"
wrote:

.
... thanks for input on the ring Peter... left out the reserve, added exact
description of clarity and weight of stones.
Oh! and I didn't put the link in my post! Do I get my bickies now Marilee?

We'll see how you do.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale

How did this happen?!?!?!?! Mj Beads 4 October 3rd 04 11:25 PM
How did this happen? Cheri2Star Beads 11 September 23rd 04 09:34 PM
How does this happen? (boro question) Kyla Beads 4 January 15th 04 04:17 AM