You can't take it with you

Old July 23rd 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default You can't take it with you

I spent the morning with a dear old quilter friend. She has an
extensive collection of old 30's and on vintage fabric and other
old quilt related 'stuff'. What kind of arrangements do folks
make for where this kind of stuff would go after they pass. She
is not in need of money and her kids have no interest in the
stuff for anything maybe more than the monetary value. Is there
some sort of textile museum or other type of operation that
would benefit with a collection such as hers?

She did sent me home with a bag of 30 dresden plate rings of
neat old fabrics, some feedsacks and some scraps that came along
with them when she purchased them. I think I am moving into
the dresden plate period of my quiltmaking career. LOL
Taria

Old July 23rd 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
witchystitcher

I have told my husband to give my fabric to a friend of mine who
quilts and to give one featherweight to each daughter in case they
ever find they have a need to mend something. Other than that, he
should sell my machines unless one of the children wants to use them.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old July 24th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:45:53 -0500, Taria wrote
(in article lk9pi.3199$7w.154@trnddc05):

I spent the morning with a dear old quilter friend. She has an
extensive collection of old 30's and on vintage fabric and other
old quilt related 'stuff'. What kind of arrangements do folks
make for where this kind of stuff would go after they pass. She
is not in need of money and her kids have no interest in the
stuff for anything maybe more than the monetary value. Is there
some sort of textile museum or other type of operation that
would benefit with a collection such as hers?

She did sent me home with a bag of 30 dresden plate rings of
neat old fabrics, some feedsacks and some scraps that came along
with them when she purchased them. I think I am moving into
the dresden plate period of my quiltmaking career. LOL
Taria

Our local chapter of the American Sewing Guild gets a lot of donations of
fabric from people (or their families) like this. Some is sold to members
and the proceeds used for charity projects and some is kept to be used for
charity projects.

Maureen

Old July 24th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

I've told DH and my mom that my stash should go to mom and one of our
friends.

Your friend should decide where her fabrics should go and make her
wishes known to several people. If there is a lot of fabric she
should specify where it is to go in her will.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 24th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

My will has a provision that my family is to take any and all craft/
knitting/crochet/tatting/quilting/etc. tools and materials they want,
and the rest is to be given to a senior citizens center. (The center
has many members who really enjoy doing all these things, but find
that materials and tools get rather expensive, and they have been
almost gushing about past contributions. Although some of the seniors
keep what they make, most donate the finished items to the center,
which donates hats, scarves, and mittens to the local school district,
and sells others and then donates the proceeds to charity.)

Old July 27th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

A long time ago I found a for-fun but usable "Quilters Last Will &
Testament", I think it was posted on the (now gone) World Wide Quilting Page
Bulletin Board. I don't know if the WWQP has a copy. It said, as I remember
it, that after family has taken what they want all the quilty friends should
be invited over to eat chocolate & go through the stash & divide it up while
saying nice things about the deceased. They should pack up anything not
wanted by anyone in the group and suggest where it should go, also give
advice on the value of items like sewing machines if no one in the family
wanted them. For example donate one pile to the "box under the bed project",
one to school art class, another to a senior center, one to 4H or Girl Scout
groups. They should then clean up the quilt area & leave the family with
some good stories about the deceased quilter and a task completed.

lobal.net...