OTRemarkable Obituary

Old September 8th 05, 03:33 AM
Don/Gen

Default OTRemarkable Obituary

Just received this and thought I'd share.
Gen

Subject: Remarkable Obituary

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense.

Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he
was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing
when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that
life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more
than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in
charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but
overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy
charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from
school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding
an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental
consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the
parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became
contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better
treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that
a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was
awarded a huge financial settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his
wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you
still remember him, pass this on; if not, join the majority and do nothing.

Old September 8th 05, 03:37 AM
Sherry Starr

Very good. I have seen this before. It is making the rounds again with
other ones I have seen.

Sherry Starr

Old September 8th 05, 05:16 AM
Diana Curtis

The one paragraph in the *biography* below that bothers me is the
example they use to talk about frivolous lawsuits. Yes, there are plenty
of them out there but the scalding hot coffee suit was legitimate. This
following quote from the snopes site: the "woman scalded by hot coffee"
suit, which at first blush looked like the height of frivolity proved to
be a perfectly legitimate action taken against a corporation that knew,
thanks to a string of similar scaldings it had quietly been paying off,
that its coffee was not just hot, but dangerously hot.
This group seems to have a goodly supply of common sense so perhaps
we just need to exersize it more often?
Diana

Old September 8th 05, 01:49 PM
Liz & Allan MacDonald

Thanks Diana. You beat me to this reply.
Liz (a lurker on alt.folklore.urban)

Old September 8th 05, 01:57 PM
Diana Curtis

NP.
I had no idea such a NG existed. I'll pop over and lurk beside you in a
moment.
Diana

Old September 9th 05, 02:11 PM
Liz & Allan MacDonald

There's not been much urban legend discussion going on for the past few
weeks, the regulars seem to be waiting for the cross-posting trolls to
get tired. Do lurk for a while - it's an interesting group.
Liz

Old September 9th 05, 02:20 PM
Diana Curtis

I shall. It did seem rather full of a certain person ranting at the
moment, but if you say it will be better then its worth the wait. I'm an
urban legend fan. Its a great exersize in logic to read one and examine
it and punch it full of holes. (or not as the case may be)
Diana