Really OT - seeds sprouting IN tomato?

Old October 13th 03, 04:10 AM
..Mickie Swall..

Default Really OT - seeds sprouting IN tomato?

Really Strange: I have a tomato that the seeds are literally sprouting from within and
popping out of the skin - see the seven pictures taken on Thursday and another one just
taken a few minutes ago
http://www.ofoto.com/AlbumMenu.jsp?U...1_274461001103
(or http://www.ofoto.com my email mickie143@hotmail password: mickie). I've never seen or
heard of anything like this before, is this freaky or something common that I've just
never heard of?
Mickie

Old October 13th 03, 04:12 AM
nana2b

BIZARRE! I have never seen that before and I have grown tomatoes for years.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old October 13th 03, 04:16 AM
Martha in IN

Yeah, "Really Strange" kinda sums it up......is this a Halloween joke?
Scares me. Stephen King are you in on this?
Martha

Old October 13th 03, 04:38 AM
..Mickie Swall..

I bought this particular tomato at the grocery store, it had been sitting on the kitchen
counter for at least a week or more... still firm and fresh as the day I bought it. A few
days ago I noticed the first sprout and thought I'd let it happen just to see what kind of
plant would develop. The seedling had already broken through the skin of the tomato, so I
wasn't sure if it was a tomato seed or maybe another kind of seed (birdseed?) that had
gotten in there somehow. I set the whole tomato on the kitchen windowsil and misted it
from time to time, but the original seedling dried up. It was then that I noticed all the
little breen pimples on the rest of the tomato... popped a few of them, and dang if there
aren't little tomato plants sporuting out of them now.......should I contact the
Department of Agriculture? Riplely's? Guinness?
(Stephen King?.....nah...he'd never believe it........) g
Mickie

Old October 13th 03, 08:35 AM
Patti

Perhaps it has happened before - to John Wyndham? causing him to write
The Day of the Triffids?
Sounds really strange. Fascinating though. I'd contact a local
College or University. It does sound really unusual.
..
In article , ..Mickie
Swall.. writes
[...]

"nana2b" wrote in message
.. .
BIZARRE! I have never seen that before and I have grown tomatoes for years.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 13th 03, 01:31 PM
Roberta in D

Normal tomatoes contain a growth inhibitor so that seeds will not sprout
(in the wild) unless there's enough rain to wash it away. Clever survival
mechanism for a plant that developed in warm, dry climates. So I'm
guessing you have one of those evil GM tomatoes that's had its veggie
hormones all mixed up in the interest of cosmetic appearance.
Roberta in D

"..Mickie Swall.." wrote in
:

Old October 13th 03, 03:27 PM
Julia Altshuler

Disclaimer: I know nothing about gardening. I plant a garden each year
and learn a little as I go. Also, I don't care for tomatoes, but Jim
does. We buy seedlings at the garden center and plant those.

Now about those sprouts-- I found the picture freaky too, but when you
think about it, isn't that the way it is supposed to work? Plant
produces fruit and seeds for the purpose of the seeds producing new
plant in the right environment? The right environment would be warm and
moist which is the inside of a tomato. Ideally the sprouts would also
find soil and sunlight.

I've had watermelon seeds sprout in my kitchen sink.

There's something cool about all that fecundity, the way everything
grows in all directions, that life all around us. I like the wild side
of nature. It is too easy to think of food as always growing in neat
rows, lockstep with irrigation at the scheduled season. You've got a
renegade tomato, a revolutionary, a rule breaker, someone who talks out
of turn and mouths off at the teacher. I feel like cheering.

--Lia

Old October 13th 03, 04:55 PM
Krysia Thompson

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:10:17 -0400, "..Mickie Swall.."
wrote:

Really Strange: I have a tomato that the seeds are literally sprouting from within and
popping out of the skin - see the seven pictures taken on Thursday and another one just
taken a few minutes ago
http://www.ofoto.com/AlbumMenu.jsp?U...1_274461001103
(or http://www.ofoto.com my email mickie143@hotmail password: mickie). I've never seen or
heard of anything like this before, is this freaky or something common that I've just
never heard of?
Mickie

Mickie! this is sooooo cooool, I think i will always leave my
tomatoes on the window sill now....better start buying stakes to
tie yer toms to soon )

Krysia
K.T. - starannie opakowana
Old October 13th 03, 09:19 PM
DDM

Mickie, I don't think this is tomato business as usual!
As I was reading your post I could swear I was hearing the theme song to The
Twilight Zone playing softly in the background. g

Dee in LeRoy, NY

"..Mickie Swall.." wrote in message
Really Strange: I have a tomato that the seeds are literally sprouting

from within and
popping out of the skin - see the seven pictures taken on Thursday and

another one just
taken a few minutes ago
http://www.ofoto.com/AlbumMenu.jsp?U...1_274461001103
(or http://www.ofoto.com my email mickie143@hotmail password: mickie).

I've never seen or
heard of anything like this before, is this freaky or something common

that I've just
never heard of?
Mickie

Who here uses real seeds and other organic plant materials? min baro Beads 7 December 6th 04 02:18 PM
Need these seeds! scaperchick Beads 13 February 18th 04 04:36 PM
Makings beads from seeds... Helen Page Beads 21 February 11th 04 10:13 PM
Novice question - seeds vs beads (and how to make a seed last) WalkerDlwalke Beads 0 August 10th 03 11:40 PM