Genny Morrow's Nova

Old June 10th 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Anne

Default Genny Morrow's Nova

Hi!
I've been reading the messages here for a very long time but finally
joined officially.

I know this question is years behind the curve, but I'm thinking about
starting Genny Morrow's Nova, now that I've owned the book for it for
fifteen years or more. My question is - does the stitching cover all
the canvas? I know she called for using 18 count white mono canvas,
but what I have on hand is brown. If the stitching covers the canvas,
the color won't matter, but if the canvas shows through, the brown
would not work.

Since I will have order the Anchor threads, if I need white canvas, I
can order it at the same time. Without a LNS, I'd prefer to combine
orders!

Thanks!

Anne
Old June 11th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Felice

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:00:05 PM UTC-4, Anne wrote:
Hi!
I've been reading the messages here for a very long time but finally
joined officially.

I know this question is years behind the curve, but I'm thinking about
starting Genny Morrow's Nova, now that I've owned the book for it for
fifteen years or more. My question is - does the stitching cover all
the canvas? I know she called for using 18 count white mono canvas,
but what I have on hand is brown. If the stitching covers the canvas,
the color won't matter, but if the canvas shows through, the brown
would not work.

Since I will have order the Anchor threads, if I need white canvas, I
can order it at the same time. Without a LNS, I'd prefer to combine
orders!

Thanks!

Anne

DO IT! It's absolutely gorgeous and quite interesting to work on. But if you're going to put all that time, money and effort into it, use the white canvas just to be safe. And if you take it to be made into a pillow, and you go by taxi, DO NOT leave it on the back seat as I did. I just hope the next passenger put it to good use. I wept.
Felice

Old June 11th 12, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 6/10/12 8:12 PM, in article
, "Felice"
wrote:

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:00:05 PM UTC-4, Anne wrote:
Hi!
I've been reading the messages here for a very long time but finally
joined officially.

I know this question is years behind the curve, but I'm thinking about
starting Genny Morrow's Nova, now that I've owned the book for it for
fifteen years or more. My question is - does the stitching cover all
the canvas? I know she called for using 18 count white mono canvas,
but what I have on hand is brown. If the stitching covers the canvas,
the color won't matter, but if the canvas shows through, the brown
would not work.

It's a very full coverage piece, but honestly, depending on your stitching,
etc - it's worth doing it on the white. Gives that nice clear base for the
thread, especially where the lighter shades are.

Since I will have order the Anchor threads, if I need white canvas, I
can order it at the same time. Without a LNS, I'd prefer to combine
orders!

You'll love working with the Anchor threads. And honestly, the canvas is
the least cost for the most part - your time is the real investment. It's a
beautiful piece.

Thanks!

Anne

DO IT! It's absolutely gorgeous and quite interesting to work on. But if
you're going to put all that time, money and effort into it, use the white
canvas just to be safe. And if you take it to be made into a pillow, and you
go by taxi, DO NOT leave it on the back seat as I did. I just hope the next
passenger put it to good use. I wept.
Felice

Felice - this is a heartbreaking story. So sorry, how painful - but maybe
it went to a good home.

At Woodlawn this year, there is a piece that won a big ribbon, "Welcome" -
many different techniques, original design, had ribbon embroidery,
stumpwork, brazilion, padded work, beading, - just so beautiful - like a
garden with the sun beaming down. Anyhow - in her artist's statement she
explained that the original work which she had started was stolen from her
car (I don't know if the car was stolen), along with a portfolio of 11
teaching pieces, and a binder of her childhood stitched pieces.
Unbelievable & irreplaceable. But she decided to start the Welcome piece
again - it wasn't completed . When the woman from Woodlawn called to tell
her that she'd won this special award she said that this one was better than
the one which was stolen! So said the Woodlawn coordinator - I promise -
she told me that directly.

Ellice

Old June 11th 12, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Felice

On Monday, June 11, 2012 12:24:38 AM UTC-4, Ellice K. wrote:
On 6/10/12 8:12 PM, in article
, "Felice"
wrote:

[...]

Well, I doubt I'll do Nova a second time! But I only lost one piece; I can't imagine losing as many treasures as that designer did!

Nice to hear from you. I've been out of touch with RCTN for too long.

Felice
Old June 11th 12, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Anne

Felice,
I probably will just order the white canvas - it's not that much for
the piece I would need. What is annoying is that at the EGA National
Seminar I bought a LOT of canvas and Congress cloth, but not one piece
of white canvas!?!

What a heartbreaking story! I hope the person who found your Nova
appreciated it. I'd weep, too, if that happened to me.

Anne

DO IT! It's absolutely gorgeous and quite interesting to work on. But if you're going to put all that time, money and effort into it, use the white canvas just to be safe. And if you take it to be made into a pillow, and you go by taxi, DO NOT leave it on the back seat as I did. I just hope the next passenger put it to good use. I wept.
Felice

Two Nova Scotia Events of Interest Nancy in NS Quilting 0 June 7th 07 05:10 PM
Pilgrimage to Nova Scotia Joanie General Crafting 0 May 31st 05 04:22 PM
NOVA Melissa & Doug Smith Needlework 11 May 22nd 05 04:11 AM
Nova Scotia model boat Barve New Whirl Marketplace 0 September 22nd 04 12:32 AM
Any MD/DC or NoVA quilters out there? Natalie Quilting 20 June 8th 04 12:08 PM