New quilts and the calm before the storm

Old February 1st 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Default New quilts and the calm before the storm

I finished three quilts at the end of the year after being a slacker
for awhile. The red, white, and black one went to my son and the
leaping lambs one went to my daughter. You can't see it from the
photo, but I wrote Leaping Lambs in freehand script all around the
edge of that one. The star scrappy one I just finished last week.
All were firsts for me: first time using quarter triangles, first time
for applique by machine, first time making stars. Oh, and not so
great free hand quilting but the kids didn't care. I'm keeping the
star one to prove I actually had the patience to put it together!
That one is quilting using a diagonal cross hatch.

We are between snow storms. The prelude last night was 9" of new snow
with up to 20" more coming in later this afternoon. My husband and I
just got in from snowblowing and shoveling plus using a roof rake to
take off snow on our porches and flat roofs. My arms feel like jello
at the moment and I'm getting too old for this.

My newest projects are the first three on my webshots page. Donna
http://community.webshots.com/user/dealer83

Old February 1st 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

Fantastic work! The stars quilt is just beautiful - well, they all are,
but I reallllly like that one. The lambs are just adorable - and I think
the quilting made them come to life. You can almost see them leaping
around from block to block. And the red, white, and black? That's one of
my favorite color combinations (in fact, I'm quilting one right now), so
I automatically fell in love with it.

We, too, are waiting for the snow storm to come in. We didn't get much
yesterday, but it's now starting to come down and the wind is blowing,
so I'm sure we'll have some drifts in the morning. Everybody take cover!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

Old February 1st 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I love them all, but the stars quilt is my faaavorite. I especially like
the way you did the borders.

We're looking for freezing rain.....already had a little this morning, just
enough to make all the sidewalks very dangerous. Schools are closed. Those
poor kids will be going to school until July to make up for all the "snow"
days!

Alice in PA

Old February 1st 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Wow Donna...they are all beautiful. I'm really loving that star quilt.
-Irene

Old February 2nd 11, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

I'm with Irene...Love the star quilt!
Great colors. I love the borders too.
Old February 2nd 11, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Thanks everyone, your comments mean alot to me. My free hand quilting
has been a frustration to me but, I'm determined to get decent at it
sooner or later. It doesn't help that my good machine, a Janome 6600P
is having upper tension problems all of a sudden. I had to get out my
old machine to finish things up. The closest repair place is an hour
away and with the weather we are having, it's not happening any time
soon. The only good thing about being snowed in is having more time
to sew. Donna
Old February 2nd 11, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Donna, your quilts are great. I like the stars a lot.
Lambs are pretty cute. If you sign up for the Janome6500
yahoo group you might be able to find some answers or
get some advice. (the group covers 6500 and 6600)
You might not need a repair just work things different.
Thanks for sharing!
Taria