Flooding rains update - Queensland, Aust.

Old January 12th 11, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Default Flooding rains update - Queensland, Aust.

On Jan 10, 7:16*pm, Bronnie wrote:
Well, with incessant rain here for weeks it has now culminated in epic
proportions of flooding. When you asked about me a week ago when the
floods were affecting Rockhampton and places north. I said, no we're
fine here, thats hundreds of kilometres away....but now.....the latest
flooding yesterday is only an hour or so away by car. *This latest
town (rural city really of 20,000 people) Toowoomba, is on a high
range and one would never have thought of an 'inland tsunami' type
rage of water flowing through there. *It is a continuing tragedy as I
write, 8 dead and 70 or more missing. *It is the type of thing that
one hears of in Europe, water suddenly flowing through small valley
towns, but this town is not in a valley.
Brisbane is our large capital city, of 3 million +, downstream of
Toowoomba, and it is looking like some serious flooding over the next
few days. The dam that was built after the bad floods in '74, has
certainly helped mitigating worse floods, however that dam is now 140%
full if that can be possible, and controlled release of floodwaters is
necessary for a safe dam.
Our immediate area on the coast is 'relatively' safe. There might be
low level localising flooding when high tides and rain are concurrent
events. * *It has been raining for weeks.
I am listening to a tv bulletin as I type, it is an ongoing
crisis.....
Will write again when things are quieter, I feel quite despondent at
present.
Hugs
Bronnie

Prayers for you and the entire country go up. It's been on our news
but nothing can fully show the extent of the damage nor the cost to
the people, both emotionally and physically. Donna
Old January 12th 11, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On Jan 12, 12:18*pm, dealer83 wrote:
[...]

Thank you EVERYONE for your messages of support....it is really
appreciated.
First off, our coastal region where I live is 90km from Brisbane and
we have not been directly affected. In 1974 when the last big flood
inundated both regional areas and Brisbane (I wasn't living here at
that time) it was very bad here. We are in a different river system
catchment to Brisbane.
Our hearts are with the Brisbane community, the statistics are just
staggering - dam levels, houses going under, people being displaced.
The CBD is not spared either. Another 24 hours are to pass before the
major flood level expected.
It could take longer than Hurricane Katrina to recover businesses and
homes lost.
Oh, I could go on, but I won't.....
It actually stopped raining here for a few hours this morning and I
got a couple of sets of tennis played outdoors which was good
exercise. My twin sister, Pam, is coming up to stay for a week
tomorrow from Melbourne so I am really looking forward to seeing her.
Hugs to you all,
Bronnie
Old January 12th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle[_4_]

On 1/10/2011 7:16 PM, Bronnie wrote:
[...]

Such loss. I'm so sorry, Bronnie. Thank you for taking the time to
keep us informed. You and your countrymen are in my thoughts.

Michelle
Old January 12th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_2_]

Sending positive thoughts and prayers for the rain to stop!
Saw on TV news pics of cars being swept away - so scarey!
Stay high and dry, Bronnie, and keep us posted!

On Jan 11, 10:03*pm, Bronnie wrote:

[...]
Bronnie- Hide quoted text -

Queensland Floods Sandy Bell Needlework 6 January 12th 11 02:35 AM
OT Queensland weather melinda[_2_] Quilting 5 March 9th 09 09:41 PM
OT - Vic. Aust. bushfire victims Pat in Virginia Quilting 1 February 10th 09 08:42 PM
flooding KJ Quilting 12 April 6th 05 01:35 PM
Sunday afternoon in Aust Gwendoline Kelly Yarn 8 December 21st 04 01:38 PM