frock coat

Old January 25th 04, 12:52 PM
Digital. Antichrist

Default frock coat

hi,

i'm new, and i'm hoping that someone here can help.
I want to make myself a frock coat in the style of Alexander McQueen -
David Bowie's Union Jack coat, but dont know where I can find decent
instructions, patterns or guides on-line on how to make a frock-coat.
Can anyone here help?

thanks in advance,
darren.

Old January 25th 04, 03:24 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

I'm not familiar with his coat, but a place for you to start is
www.sewingpatterns.com they have all the pattern catalogs of the major
companies, for you to browse. Other people in this group may suggest some
other pattern companies. If that coat is anything like something from "The
Matrix" look in the costume sections of the major catalogs, as I saw a
pattern for that outfit just a few days ago.

Old January 25th 04, 10:24 PM
Digital. Antichrist

In message , Kate Dicey
writes
Sew-Sew Lady wrote:

I'm not familiar with his coat, but a place for you to start is
www.sewingpatterns.com they have all the pattern catalogs of the major
companies, for you to browse. Other people in this group may suggest some
other pattern companies. If that coat is anything like something from "The
Matrix" look in the costume sections of the major catalogs, as I saw a
pattern for that outfit just a few days ago.

I'm not familiar with it either, but if you can point me at a picture, I
might be able to help a little more. I made a frock coat not too long
ago - have a look at the Town Crier's stuff on my web site.

I've made a page where some images can be found.
hope they help.

http://www.digital.antichrist.btinte....uk/bowie.html

d.

Old January 26th 04, 12:18 AM
Sew-Sew Lady

Wow! I think a pattern for that will be hard to find. Best try to find
someone who can make it from the photo.

Old January 26th 04, 02:20 AM
Jenn Ridley

"Digital. Antichrist" wrote:

I've made a page where some images can be found.
hope they help.

http://www.digital.antichrist.btinte....uk/bowie.html

It looks like a pretty simple frock coat pattern, actually. It's got
some large triangles in the skirt of the coat to give the flare, but
there don't seem to be any shaping seams in the upper part of the coat
- all the shaping is done in the side seams, and with a pleat at the
shoulders. It looks almost as though there is no waist seam at all,
and the gores are set into the side seams almost at hip level. I
can't tell what the collar looks like.

Georgian/US Colonial era (late 1600s to 1770's) frock coats are
probably the closest you're going to find commercially, and even they
will need to be fiddled and diddled to give you the same look.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Old January 27th 04, 07:43 PM
Digital. Antichrist

In message , Kate Dicey
writes
"Digital. Antichrist" wrote:

In message , Kate Dicey
writes
Sew-Sew Lady wrote:

I'm not familiar with his coat, but a place for you to start is
www.sewingpatterns.com they have all the pattern catalogs of the major
companies, for you to browse. Other people in this group may suggest some
other pattern companies. If that coat is anything like something
from "The
Matrix" look in the costume sections of the major catalogs, as I saw a
pattern for that outfit just a few days ago.

I'm not familiar with it either, but if you can point me at a picture, I
might be able to help a little more. I made a frock coat not too long
ago - have a look at the Town Crier's stuff on my web site.

I've made a page where some images can be found.
hope they help.

http://www.digital.antichrist.btinte....uk/bowie.html

d.

Hm...Doesn't look too difficult - it's been made from a wool flag and
then distressed, by the look of it. You'd probably need to buy two
large flags to make it from in order to get the garment pieces cut
exactly the way you want them, but that frock coat pattern I used for
the town crier's coat would be a good starting point... It makes up
with a very 18th C fit, rather than the hard tailored shoulders on DB's
coat, but it looks better, to me! You can see some of the details of
how I made it on my web site (URL below), and you can see the original
pattern he http://www.patternsoftime.com/cat61.html Its the 1750's
Coat with Military Variations, Pirate or Captains Coat. It's a very
good pattern.

Excellent stuff! Thank you very much!

--
- http://www.digitalantichrist.com -
Digital.Antichrist
Old January 27th 04, 07:43 PM
Digital. Antichrist

In message , Jenn Ridley
writes
"Digital. Antichrist" wrote:

[...]

Ta muchly! I'll check out this style and see if I can do it!