padding to a dress form

Old January 5th 06, 11:32 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default padding to a dress form

klh wrote:

My wife just got a used mannequin, perhaps a dress form, but with rigid
body/torso. The real intent is having something so she can display her
Swedish folk dress on occasion, provided that it is pinned up to the
dress form. for that use, i think this will be ok, especially at $20US
with a floor stand.

does anyone have experience with adding material to a form to make a
larger size as opposed to an adjustable form? I found the material below
from a web page on dress forms and mannequins. i am sure kate dicey has
multiple forms but for limited use, there is a lot of difference in
price and tough to absorb.

from http://www.fabulousfit.com/bodywrap.html

The Body Wrap
Fabulous Fit®

Change, Increase Any Size Form.
"The common complaint is that "Patterns don't fit me!"

We all have a different set of measurements, even though we may use
the same size pattern. Pre-fitting avoids disasters! The Body Wrap
is a "fiber skirt" and a "bustier" that can be wrapped around the
form, when working with larger sizes and using a smaller form.
The Bodywrap is designed to fill in areas as well as change the size
of your form. You can use the torso only to fill out the stomach, or
use parts of the Bodywrap to create a rounded back shoulder, or
sculpt a sway back by feathering it away at the back waist. Now you
can start creating, designing, and sewing for different sizes on
your form, without losing the singularities in shape for each size.
The Bodywrap will soon be $27, but right now it is only $15

klh in va/usa

Yes, I *do* have several dress forms, BUT I still need to pad them up
occasionally - to suit people with particular fitting issues, the
occasional pregnancy, and for historical dress. Dial it up a size or two
smaller, pad up to the clients measurements, put on the right shaped
corset, and away we go! That site pads up pretty much as I do it.
You want to make the padding fairly firm, so it behaves a bit like a
real body. I use cheap poly toy stuffing, batting, and a wrap of
whatever is handy, and cover the padding with an old skinny-fit stretchy
jumper, just to make it look tidy.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old January 7th 06, 03:26 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

I remember umpteen years ago when I was in college, we had those foam
rubber dress forms that could be sized up or down. As we were learning
draping at the time, each of us made a tight-fitting garment for the
dress form, using our own measurements. Then, we stuffed them to add
"love handles," "spare tires," etc. It was hilarious--we could tell
each other's form from the far end of the hall.

Teri

Another dress form question Moe Sewing 3 February 6th 04 02:02 PM
Sears Dress Form Sizing? BEI Design Sewing 4 February 3rd 04 08:55 PM
dress form question Marilyn Sewing 14 January 31st 04 05:07 PM
New and searching for dress form unbroken Sewing 4 January 23rd 04 04:51 AM
help with antique dress form Filigree00 Sewing 0 August 29th 03 10:00 AM