Would like your advice/ideas

Old December 17th 05, 11:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Would like your advice.. still OT-Polish food

that sounds like stollen, which is a yeast dough with lots of fruit and it
is rolled out and marzipan paste put into the centre in a roll then the
dough rolled around that so as to create a block of marzipan with a roll of
thick fruity dough around the outside...when cooked and cooled sprinkle on
icing sugar lovely

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
You ladies make me Drool,,,, i began liking marzipan when i became 40
----it isn`t so hehealthy anymore ,,,oooooph
My step father used to bake a cake with the Marzipan , he made from
Almonds, baked somehow inside ,,,
mirjam

Cher, my mother and aunts ALL made Stollen!
(they're all first generation American Poles)
Noreen
remembering....

mem or ies, like the corners of my mind.... misty water coloured mem or
ies...
of the way we were!

--
If Moses had been a woman, she'd have stopped and asked for directions,
and

President Mackenzie Allen, ABC's Commander in Chief
"spinninglilac" wrote in message
o.uk...
Stollen, anyone make that on here? I make it for d/m/i/l, after I've
marzipaned the xmas cake I make the dough for the Stollen and it is put
rise whilst I do the cake, then when the cake is done I have left over
almond paste/marzipan to roll into the stollen..

cheers....cher

Old December 18th 05, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Cher besides the word cooked which in my case would be bake ,,, your
description reads/sounds quite close to what i remember .... but i hae
no memory for such a name 'Stolen` ????
I DO know the cake kept quite well and was `fresh` even after quite a
long time !!!
mirjam

[...]

. co.uk...

Old December 18th 05, 09:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

here is a recipe for it Mirjam and the pic shows what it looks like,
apparently it is a german recipe
http://recipesbycindy.homestead.com/Stollen.html

here is another one with the pic showing it cut open so that you can see the
marzipan inside
http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/ChristmasStollen.asp

cheers.....Cher

Old December 18th 05, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It looks good, is it like a fruit cake? Which I don't eat, by the way... I
have this thing about cooked raisins and cherries, etc that make me gag. I
do have a question though... what exactly is marzipan? It doesn't give a
recipe for that... do you buy that already made and just add it to the rest
of the recipe?

Gem

"spinninglilac" wrote in message
k...
[...]

r.co.uk...

Old December 18th 05, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Marzipan is Almond paste...
the stuff that goes on rich fruit wedding/anniversary/xmas cakes before the
white icing goes on.

Old December 18th 05, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default FUDGE????? LOL

Susan Carey wrote:
English Toffee

2 C brown sugar 1 1/3 C Eagle Brand
3 Tbsp corn syrup 1 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla

Cook to hard ball. Spread in buttered pan.

Sorry - I was using a different font on my word processor and did not
proof read this recipe.

BTW, what is the UK or anyone else's equivalent to Eagle Brand? Is
that a world wide brand or just for US? I hate to be so unknowing,
but have only ever lived here and have grown up with that as a
sweetened evaporated milk product.

We have Eagle Brand in Canada, but I make my own, which is much cheaper.

Higs,
Katherine

Old December 18th 05, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Ahhh... okay! I know why I didn't know what it was then... my Mom had an
allergy to the stuff and would get very sick if she had any... therefore it
was never in the house. Thank you for clearing it up. I had heard of
marzipan before, but didn't realize that it was the almond paste.

Gem

Old December 18th 05, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Katherine" wrote in message
Susan Carey wrote:
English Toffee

2 C brown sugar 1 1/3 C Eagle Brand
3 Tbsp corn syrup 1 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla

Cook to hard ball. Spread in buttered pan.

Sorry - I was using a different font on my word processor and did not
proof read this recipe.

BTW, what is the UK or anyone else's equivalent to Eagle Brand? Is
that a world wide brand or just for US? I hate to be so unknowing,
but have only ever lived here and have grown up with that as a
sweetened evaporated milk product.

We have Eagle Brand in Canada, but I make my own, which is much
cheaper.

You evaporate your own milk????

Old December 18th 05, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote:

It looks good, is it like a fruit cake? Which I don't eat, by the way... I
have this thing about cooked raisins and cherries, etc that make me gag.*
I do have a question though... what exactly is marzipan?**It*doesn't*give
a recipe for that... do you buy that already made and just add it to the
rest of the recipe?

The recipes I've got for marzipan have ground almonds, sugar, almond essence
and egg yolks - although I've only ever bought it ready made. It comes out
solid, but pliable, which gets softer as it warms up.

--
Penny Gaines

WIP: crotchet blanket, spotted fake fur cushion cover, 6x6
After that... jumper for ds, cushion for dd,
And then ... throw for sitting room, jumper for me