Would like your advice/ideas

Old December 13th 05, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default FUDGE????? LOL

) No fears about it being US (for me anyway)... I'm just across the
border in Ontario, so I likely grew up hearing all the names and definitely
the measurements. In fact I do NOT think in grams, etc... I need to see
cups, tsps, etc to know what anyone is talking about! LOL

Gem

"Susan Carey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry, I just remembered these are ALL US names for things. The Brown
Sugar Candy is supposed to read 1/2 C butter.

I know this recipe alone has put inches on my hips. I have been known
to eat an entire recipe of it, made up. Not now days, but it is way too
good.

Susan

Old December 14th 05, 11:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

English Toffee

2 C brown sugar 1 1/3 C Eagle Brand
3 Tbsp corn syrup 1 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla

Cook to hard ball. Spread in buttered pan.

Sorry - I was using a different font on my word processor and did not
proof read this recipe.

BTW, what is the UK or anyone else's equivalent to Eagle Brand? Is that
a world wide brand or just for US? I hate to be so unknowing, but have
only ever lived here and have grown up with that as a sweetened
evaporated milk product.

Susan C

Old December 14th 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Susan Carey" wrote in message
oups.com...
English Toffee

2 C brown sugar 1 1/3 C Eagle Brand
3 Tbsp corn syrup 1 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla

Cook to hard ball. Spread in buttered pan.

Sorry - I was using a different font on my word processor and did not
proof read this recipe.

BTW, what is the UK or anyone else's equivalent to Eagle Brand? Is that
a world wide brand or just for US? I hate to be so unknowing, but have
only ever lived here and have grown up with that as a sweetened
evaporated milk product.

Susan C

Carnation sounds familiar as a brand for evaporated milk; not that we buy it
anymo too sweet
Love & higs
Christine

Old December 14th 05, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

English Toffee

2 C brown sugar 1 1/3 C Eagle Brand
3 Tbsp corn syrup 1 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla

Cook to hard ball. Spread in buttered pan.

Sorry - I was using a different font on my word processor and did not
proof read this recipe.

BTW, what is the UK or anyone else's equivalent to Eagle Brand? Is that
a world wide brand or just for US? I hate to be so unknowing, but have
only ever lived here and have grown up with that as a sweetened
evaporated milk product.

Susan C

Carnation sounds familiar as a brand for evaporated milk; not that we buy
it anymo too sweet
Love & higs
Christine

Eagle Brand is condensed milk, not evaporated.
DA

Old December 14th 05, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
"Susan Carey" wrote in message
oups.com...
English Toffee

2 C brown sugar 1 1/3 C Eagle Brand
3 Tbsp corn syrup 1 Tbsp butter
1/8 tsp salt 1 tsp vanilla

Cook to hard ball. Spread in buttered pan.

Sorry - I was using a different font on my word processor and did not
proof read this recipe.

BTW, what is the UK or anyone else's equivalent to Eagle Brand? Is that
a world wide brand or just for US? I hate to be so unknowing, but have
only ever lived here and have grown up with that as a sweetened
evaporated milk product.

Susan C

Carnation sounds familiar as a brand for evaporated milk; not that we buy
it anymo too sweet
Love & higs
Christine

Eagle Brand actually says on the can that it is Sweetened Condensed Milk,
not evaporated (which is very loose and often used in tea or coffee). The
Eagle Brand is often used for making candy or bar type of desserts, and my
Mom used to occasionally spread it on bread as a treat. Of course she had
a MAJOR sweet tooth. ;o)

Here are a few websites that give recipes for using the Sweetened Condensed
Milk (not evaporated). Enjoy! )

Gemini

http://www.eaglebrand.com/

http://www.aaa-recipes.com/sweeten/sweet.html

http://southernfood.about.com/od/ban...r/bl30515a.htm

http://www.anniesrecipes.com/Kitchen...nd_recipes.htm

http://eaglebrand.allrecipes.com/default.asp

http://eaglebrand.allrecipes.com/recipes/browse.asp

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebr...mebrand19.html

Old December 14th 05, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It will probably be what we call Nestle's condensed milk.
I use to love it spread on bread and butter. Now a very no.no being a
diabetic.
Shirley

In message , DA
writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old December 14th 05, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Or Fussell's, which is apparently now called Carnation Light, both made by
Nestle. Same reason for not buying it any more Shirley. My Mum and her
East End family used to spread it on bread, but for us as children it was a
very rare treat, so I guess I don't miss it too much
Love & higs
Christine

Old December 14th 05, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

( That's a shame that you have to leave favorite things behind, isn't
it? My sister is also diabetic (regulated with pills though, not at the
needle stage) and once in a while she will eat something she shouldn't...
but for the most part she says she misses some of the things she had to
leave behind.

Gemini

Old December 15th 05, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Gem,

I know what your sister is going through, DH and I are both type 2 and
once a month we cheat and have a little dessert when we go out. That's
the only time we do and so far our tests have been great.

Hugs,

Nora