Last Sunday before Christmas..

Old December 18th 05, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Last Sunday before Christmas..

... is called "Skittensøndag" or "Dirty-sunday" here.
according to tradition you should clean
whatever you hadn't done before, so the Christmas celebration could
start.
"We" working women are NOT ready just for cleaning yet.
I have baked Christmas cakes; "Småkaker" ("Small-cakes") today,
and NOW I am ready to start the last shining up! LOL!

I have baked Krumkaker: http://www.anis.no/images/illu/282.jpg
(May be you also use this cake???)

I bake them the traditional way in an "iron" which are lying at the
stove.
This picture is a humouristic one, the Photographer
shows what easily can happen if you do not watch the cakes carefully:
http://beisland.net/photopages/1990s..._krumkaker.jpg

The cakes come out like a very thin round cake , and is patterned.
To give them shape, I roll them around this cone:
http://sognogfjordane.kulturnett.no/...umkake_500.JPG

I have also baked "Tyske skiver" ("German slices"(?)
which you can se behind the cakes with chocolate:
http://www.tine.no/bilde/20653?width=262&ul=15&ur=15
Very easy to make.

I have also made some "Julemenn"
("White cake-men", the most used "Cake-men" are brown,
but the white ones are tradition around here.)
This is a cake Children LOVE before Christmas,
but since my daughter come home for Christmas,
I will have some of them then!
http://www.safari.no/bilder/julebakst_kakemenn.jpg
http://www.sa.no/multimedia/archive/...62_477517h.jpg

****************
Yesterday I finished my last gift project,
I have been stupid enough to start on big projects,
so it has been "neck or nothing" the last days, evenings,.. even nights.
The sweater for DS was ready when I left for Oslo.
It was knit from relatively thin yarn, so you can imagine the time ot
took.

He is tall and "broad shouldered", so there were LOTS of stiches!
I knitted a Gansey-type sweater, horisontal stripes,
I knitted patterns I "know".
It is a bit similar to this, but much more masculine in shape:
http://knittingtraditions.com/images...itegans_sm.jpg

DIL and SIL got knitted hats and scaves,
DIL in Idena mohair Lux yarn; rose with beads on the hat.
(this sweater is knit in the same colour
http://www.kelyarn.com/5619.jpg)
I am not too happy to knit with mohair yarn,
but the result was nice.

But for DD I have made scarves several times,
and THEN I decided what has made me a "night knitter":
I would make a sweater, but I would use very thick yarn!
Well, yeasterday it was finished and I feel I can fly! LOL!
I made the hat too. (The pattern is not in english yet)
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/no/vi..._t=1&sort=garn

Have a good sunday!
AUD ;-))

Old December 18th 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

My DH's godmother made Krumkaker and he loved them. She was from Norway
originally and now lives in San Antonio, TX.

BonnieBlue
(who is also baking today)

Old December 18th 05, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Ohh, they look like Italian Pizelles, which I make. Traditionally, you use
anise flavor, but you can make vanilla, lemon or chocolate, too.

Sounds like you'll be having a very tasty holiday season!

Old December 18th 05, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Aud,

Wow, a baker and knitter too, congratulations on getting everything
finished on time. I know what you mean about knitting with mohair, not
my favorite either, but I've found a yarn by Lion Brand that I simply
love and it's called Jiffy, quick and easy Mohair look yarn. I love it
so much that I now have about 36 skeins of it in three colors.

Hugs,

Nora

Old December 18th 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I love krumkaker but have never made them. Today I will make spritz
and berlinerkranser. I am still knitting - I started a lacey scarf for
my #2 DS"s girl friend but haven't finished yet. She will be here on
Christmas, so I have the rest of the week. I am also nearly done with
a hat for DH which is meant for him to wear when cheering on his team
on cold days (purple and gold are the team colors). I don't think I
will see it on him any other time - he would rather wear the grey tweed
hat. I will be knitting all week in between cooking and cleaning.
Today, though, I have a neighborhood party ( at a neighbor's house) and
a play to go to.
We always have a swedish potato sausage on Christmas Eve ((Potatis
Korv). My family also ate lutefisk then while I was growing up - but I
have kept the Korv and let go of the lutefisk. My great grandmother
was Swedish - David's mother was Norwegian (hence the lefse which I
learned to make from her which I make with #2 DS on Christmas Eve.

Old December 18th 05, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default OT: Last Sunday before Christmas..

I love Krumkaker and just had one yesterday at a potluck Scandinavian brunch
with some friends. We also had rosettes and lefse and a lot of other good
food. My contribution was Apple Cardamom Cobbler with Honey Cream.

--
Jan in MN

Old December 18th 05, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"BonnieBlue" skrev i melding
My DH's godmother made Krumkaker and he loved them. She was from
Norway originally and now lives in San Antonio, TX.

BonnieBlue
(who is also baking today)

Hi, Bonnie!
Send my greetings to her!
...Strange to think about, We bake here, and you there... and probabely
all around the world where christmas is celebrated!
Aud ;-)

Old December 18th 05, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Aud" wrote in message
.. is called "Skittensøndag" or "Dirty-sunday" here.
according to tradition you should clean
whatever you hadn't done before, so the Christmas celebration could start.

Actually, that's what Matthew and I will be doing today. I will be starting
(once I get food started for late lunch/early supper) while Matthew is
shovelling out the laneway, and when he comes in he will help with moving
anything that is too heavy for me. There are also a few small decorations
that he will be hanging up... we have the garland up, and all the lights in
the windows, etc... like a stuffed Santa Claus doll that has hung up in our
home for years, a snowman (made with cotton wrapped around a bottle) that my
Mom won as a door-prize years ago, a Christmas log centre piece that Matthew
made in school one year that we sit on the coffee table, and Santa & Mrs
Claus candles, and a large Nutcracker candle, etc.

Once we have all the decorations up, there are usually about four different
Santa Claus's around... we say to Casper (who LOVES Santa Claus) "Where is
Santa Claus?" and he will go and bring his own stuffed toy Santa that he got
for his first Christmas... then we say "Where's ANOTHER Santa Claus?" and he
will go to each one of the others, standing up on his hind legs to get a
closer look and "point" at them with his nose. LOL One year he totally
shocked us by going to the lighted Santa that we had in the window. This
shocked us, because the shape doesn't really look that much like Santa
Claus... unless you stand back away from it, and see the coloured lights to
make it out. This is why we are sure that even though people say that
animals don't see in colour, that they actually do... the red and white of
the lighted Santa Claus is the *only* thing that would make Casper know it
was Santa Claus. )

"We" working women are NOT ready just for cleaning yet.
I have baked Christmas cakes; "Småkaker" ("Small-cakes") today,
and NOW I am ready to start the last shining up! LOL!

I have baked Krumkaker: http://www.anis.no/images/illu/282.jpg
(May be you also use this cake???)

Oooh, they look like what we call Sugar Cones for ice-cream cones. ) Do
you fill them?

I bake them the traditional way in an "iron" which are lying at the stove.
This picture is a humouristic one, the Photographer
shows what easily can happen if you do not watch the cakes carefully:
http://beisland.net/photopages/1990s..._krumkaker.jpg

The cakes come out like a very thin round cake , and is patterned.
To give them shape, I roll them around this cone:
http://sognogfjordane.kulturnett.no/...umkake_500.JPG

We *have* one of these... but it is with a cone-shaped steel strainer and my
Dad used to use it to strain raspberries when he was making jam, so most of
the seeds would stay in the strainer. I never even thought that it could be
used to make what we call sugar cones. ;o)

I have also baked "Tyske skiver" ("German slices"(?)
which you can se behind the cakes with chocolate:
http://www.tine.no/bilde/20653?width=262&ul=15&ur=15
Very easy to make.

mmmMMmmm they look kind of like shortbread

I have also made some "Julemenn"
("White cake-men", the most used "Cake-men" are brown,
but the white ones are tradition around here.)

This is a cake Children LOVE before Christmas,
but since my daughter come home for Christmas,
I will have some of them then!
http://www.safari.no/bilder/julebakst_kakemenn.jpg
http://www.sa.no/multimedia/archive/...62_477517h.jpg

Yes, they do look like our gingerbread men. )

I don't suppose you know if there are any English written recipes for *any*
of these treats online anywhere, would you? *I hope*

Your knitted items for gifts look lovely! I am sure they will be
appreciated! )

Gem

Old December 18th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"The Gallaghers" skrev i melding

Ohh, they look like Italian Pizelles, which I make. Traditionally, you
use anise flavor, but you can make vanilla, lemon or chocolate, too.

Sounds like you'll be having a very tasty holiday season!

Yes! I did a google pickture search, and you are right!
We usually do not use any special flavor, some use cardemomme.
We eat it just like it is, but also fill it with cream and jam/ fruit/
berries.

And yes we have very tasty food traditions connected with the
celebration,
many of them also from pre Christian time,
when they celebrated a very big (and animated ;-) mid winter feast.
earlier I salted lamb rib and then dried it, the day before christmas we
cut it up, and water it for 24 hours.
Christmas eve we damp it for ceveral hours,
and this Christmas dinner smell is the best smell in the world for many
of us!

I have made Lamb-roll
http://interaktiv.vg.no/matogdrikke/bilder/1385.jpg
and pork-roll
http://felles.siteman.no/aronmat.no/...kter/sylte.jpg
for 1.day brunch.
http://www.anis.no/images/illu/428.jpg

I have also made "delfiakake", the most fat cake you can imagine, but a
"must" for many!

Old December 18th 05, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"norabalcer" skrev i melding
oups.com...
Aud,

Wow, a baker and knitter too, congratulations on getting everything
finished on time. I know what you mean about knitting with mohair, not
my favorite either, but I've found a yarn by Lion Brand that I simply
love and it's called Jiffy, quick and easy Mohair look yarn. I love it
so much that I now have about 36 skeins of it in three colors.

Hugs,

Nora

Nora I checked that yarn! Not so long haired as many Mohairs!
I once chrocheted a hat with a similar Spannish yarn, it was easy to
work with, and not impossible to frog! LOL!
There were incredible numbers of coloures in that Jiffy, I can see why
yuo have ordered 36 skeins!
AUD ;-)

OT- A Christmas Poem HarryB41 Beads 2 December 2nd 04 08:57 PM
OT - Sunday School Jalynne Beads 39 August 18th 04 02:56 AM
eQuilter's Christmas Party, Baby Flannel Sale Paul Rubin Marketplace 0 June 22nd 04 07:37 PM
eQuilter Christmas Batiks, Linen Sale Paul Rubin Marketplace 0 June 8th 04 07:58 PM
eQuilter Hand Dye Event, Christmas & Halloween Paul Rubin Marketplace 0 May 18th 04 08:58 PM