Grandmother's flower garden???

Old July 5th 04, 10:14 PM
Audrey

Default Grandmother's flower garden???

I have received a quilt top that belonged to my great grandmother. It is the
Grandmothers flower garden. It is hand stitched. The blocks are together,
pieced to the edge on about 1/3 of the top. Are there any instructions on
how the piece these tiny blocks so I can finish the top.. 2nd question how
do you complete the edges after basting and quilting, do you cut it square,
finish it wavy. Does any one have a web pict of theirs.
Thank you so much
Audrey

Old July 6th 04, 11:00 AM
Roberta Zollner

How did your GGM piece? over paper templates, or "American style"
(eyeballing the seam allowance and using a running stitch)?

How to finish the edges is up to you, but IMO the wavy edge is traditional.
At least, that's how my GGM did hers.
Roberta in D

Old July 7th 04, 03:02 AM
Polly Esther

In one of my more insane moments, I bought a grandmother's flower garden
quilt top. It was hand pieced and quite poorly. The top was too good to
throw away but certainly not worth spending heaps of time doing the
traditional border. I just leveled the edges and proceeded on. However, if
it had belonged to my great grandmother, I would have given serious
consideration to doing it right. What a treasure you have! Polly

Old July 8th 04, 04:05 PM
Dr. Quilter

I would finish it wavy, but another possibility is to cut long strips
and aplique the edges onto them... then finish it straight.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 9th 04, 12:19 AM
Polly Esther

What a very clever compromise. My quilt top wasn't worth that kind of effort
but I'll keep that solution in mind. Thank you. Polly

"Dr. Quilter" wrote I would finish it wavy, but another possibility is

Old July 10th 04, 05:44 PM
Dr.Quilter

Polly Esther wrote:

What a very clever compromise. My quilt top wasn't worth that kind of effort
but I'll keep that solution in mind. Thank you. Polly

"Dr. Quilter" wrote I would finish it wavy, but another possibility is
to cut long strips

and aplique the edges onto them... then finish it straight.

oh, it's not an original idea and I have never done it myself, I think I
am just repeating a suggestion I read here before...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)