question from a newbie re applique technique

Old April 30th 04, 07:39 PM
Anne Jenson

Default question from a newbie re applique technique

I have been enjoying reading this newsgroup for a while and never had
the nerve de-lurk until now, but I have a question some of you may find odd.
Does anyone have a technique to do applique with one hand? You see, I
enjoy quilting (just in the learning phase presently) and I love looking
at applique work, but because of an accident when I was a small child, I
really only have one hand to work with.
I took an applique course and just could never master the technique of
turning the material and getting my needle in there.......
Does anyone have any advice or should I stick with the log cabin and be
happy about that.

Old April 30th 04, 07:49 PM
frood

Hi, Anne! I'm sure others will have more advice, but I do want to welcome
you to the newsgroup! This is a great group of people, full of information
and support and silliness.

Perhaps a technique where you back the applique piece with fabric or
interfacing (so you would have a finished edge) would work. Maybe you could
even put the background fabric in a hoop while you work on attaching the
applique.

And, there's always machine applique, with fusibles.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old April 30th 04, 08:21 PM
Diana Curtis

Welcome to the group!
How do you feel about machine applique?
Diana

Old April 30th 04, 08:33 PM
Anne Jenson

Diana Curtis wrote:
Welcome to the group!
How do you feel about machine applique?
Diana

"Anne Jenson" wrote in message

I have been enjoying reading this newsgroup for a while and never had
the nerve de-lurk until now, but I have a question some of you may find

odd.

I'm new to this whole applique experience so I don't know what machine
applique is. Would you describe it for me?

Old April 30th 04, 09:16 PM
Diana Curtis

There are a number of different ways to machine applique but one of the
easiest is to first have a pattern. I like to trace the different pieces
onto fusible web, then iron the webbing to the back of the material it needs
to be cut of. Cut out and assemble the bits like a puzzle onto the
background fabric, and using the machine set on satin stitch * a tight zig
zag* outline each piece with a thread that matches that piece. It helps to
put a piece of printer paper under all the layers while sewing. Thats a very
bare bones way to describe it. I'm hoping someone else has urls to direct
you to better descriptions or methods.
Diana

Old April 30th 04, 09:50 PM
Polly Esther

Anne, I think you would greatly benefit with in-person help by someone who
experienced at appliqué and who also is good at teaching. It ain't
necessarily so that someone who can do something can also teach it. A friend
of mine and my sister both had accidents and casts from fingertips to their
shoulders when they had new babies. Both managed to change diapers on
wiggling new babies and that was back when we had to use safety pins - none
of that peel-off sticky tape. At least appliqué doesn't wiggle. Well, it
might wiggle a bit but it won't yell at you. Is there a quilting shop where
you could ask for some help to figure it out? a sewing machine shop? A local
quilting group? I'm sure there's a way. Welcome, and we are glad to have
you. Polly

Old April 30th 04, 09:59 PM
Piglet

I hadn't ever thought about how to do that, but thinking about it....

Here's a possibility, if you want to do hand applique rather than machine
applique, that seems as though it might work.

Cut fusible interfacing just a hair smaller than the actual size/shape you
need. Press it on the fabric and cut out the applique piece with seam
allowance added.

(Here's the hard part) when you press the seam allowance under (fusing it
down---make sure you only press the seam allowance or your iron will stick
to the interfacing), make sure you don't fold at the edge of the
interfacing, but about three threads out (or whatever your "hair" was) so
that your finished folded edge does *not* have interfacing in it. Then use
the fusible bit to press it to the cloth--everything will be stuck down
except the outside edges, where your seam allowance is folded under.

Now put it in the hoop so that you can stitch one handed, and stitch the
edges down just as you would otherwise (as invisible a stitch as you can).
Having left the three threads/"hair" means you're not having to push the
needle thru the interfacing, so it should be fairly easy to do.

--pig

On 4/30/04 13:39, opined:

Old April 30th 04, 10:13 PM
Polly Esther

It just might be that the cute little Clover iron might be helpful. If you
try one, please do get out a heavy coffee mug to rest it in. The little
holder they come with is annoying and the Clover iron is not built for
dropping on the floor. I'm sure. Polly