sewing machine table question

Old October 5th 03, 07:06 PM
Dr. Quilter

Default sewing machine table question

Last weekend went to see the Pfaffs and came home with a Brother NX 200.
DH balked at the prices of the Pfaff I wanted (considering the lower end
ones did not have the features I needed) so we bought this one with the
warranty that if I want to exchange it for a Pfaff within a year I get
the full price refunded towards the new machine. Sews wonderfully, takes
all my SINGER feet and can straight-quilt with the walking foot and free
motion with the darning on a small sample beautifully. Unfortunately it
did not fit on the sewing machine table, and free motioning a quilt had
the same tension issues as my old machine (when I speed up in curves,
the bobbin tension seems wrong). So thinking maybe it is not me after
all but the dragging of the quilt, yesterday went on a hunt for a table
we could adapt. After hours in the St. Vincent, Goodwill, etc, found a
sewing machine table around the corner (Value Village) that has a hole
for the machine and a lever that you use to regulate the height.
Perfect. Now the issue is that it still does not feel right. I think it
might all be too high, so I may have to cut the legs (I stretched my
chair to the max and it is still not high enough, besides I am having
trouble reaching the foot pedal! P I would be pretty ****ed if after
spending 600 plus bucks it turns out I cannot free motion large quilts
no matter which machine I am using.... what could it be? It just
'feels' different!
--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old October 5th 03, 08:44 PM
Taria

any chance of a photo of the table/machine set up. Would be easier
to help if we could see it. The one thing you might consider when
looking at the expense of a new machine is re-sale value. I know
nothing about the Brother and am sure it is an ok machine but I
bet the Pfaff would be worth more when time to upgrade.
Taria

Old October 6th 03, 01:48 AM
dogmom

I don't know what it could be, but stick to your guns. Sometimes I've tried
to convince myself that something feels right when it isn't, and invariably
I regret it. Would it be possible to take a large quilt to free-motion to
the store where you bought the Brother and try it there, where the
salesfolks could help you adjust things (if possible) so it's right? If you
did it fairly soon, you might even be able to get a full refund if they saw
that it just wasn't working for you ($600 might be a small price to avoid
having a really unhappy customer--who doubtless knows other quilters...)

Dogmom

Old October 7th 03, 09:25 PM
Diane Carter

I had to play around with my chair and table when I started having back pain
when I sewed for a few hours. I saw a segment by a doctor who quilted on
simple quilts and she stressed 45 degree angle in the knees hip and elbows.
So set your chair so your knees are at that angle then put your arms at your
sides and bend your elbows are a 45 angle. then your hands should be where
your machine should be. It worked for me. I sew on a old heavy wood table
and I cut 5 inchs off the legs to put me at the right height. I have a
plastic table that came with my machine then foam covered with plastic to
bring the rest of the table to needle height. This gives me a large flat
surface to accomadate quilts as I free motion quilt. Diane

Old October 9th 03, 03:12 PM
Pati Cook

The "ideal" height for a sewing machine table is such that when sitting in a
*good* sewing chair, with feet on floor, knees about a 90 degree bend and so
on, the top of the table is just below your elbow. (When you bend your arms
so the forearm is parallel to the
floor the top of the table is about a half inch or inch lower.)
There is a good explanation in Harriet Hargrave's machine quilting book,
with pictures I think.
But the chair, table, machine and you must all work together to be
comfortable.
One other thing, it may not feel "right" because it is different from what
you are used to.

Pati, in Phx

Old October 9th 03, 03:14 PM
Pati Cook

Diane, I hope you mean 90 degree angle, not 45 degree. I would fall off my
chair if my knees were at a 45 degree angle G

Pati, in Phx

Old October 11th 03, 06:26 PM
Dr. Quilter

well, since they take it back within a year at full price I figured I
could change my mind...