Hand Quilter Question

Old December 21st 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

Default Hand Quilter Question

I'm thinking of teaching a hand quilting class this spring at Country
Sampler (Papillion NE). What would you recommend as a batting? My Mom
used the cheapest, thinnest poly bat she could find at Walmart and made
beautiful quilts. I'd prefer something cotton and easier to work with.
(That poly is a stinker to spread out evenly over the quilt top and
back.) I've used Hobbs 80/20. I'm using the lightest Dream Cotton on
my current project and it's okay. Is there something better?

tia,
joan

Old December 21st 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article om,
"joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska" wrote:

I'm thinking of teaching a hand quilting class this spring at Country
Sampler (Papillion NE). What would you recommend as a batting? My Mom
used the cheapest, thinnest poly bat she could find at Walmart and made
beautiful quilts. I'd prefer something cotton and easier to work with.
(That poly is a stinker to spread out evenly over the quilt top and
back.) I've used Hobbs 80/20. I'm using the lightest Dream Cotton on
my current project and it's okay. Is there something better?

tia,
joan

Poly is actually quite easy to hand quilt through. Even the heavy kind
used in Hawaiian quilts is pretty easy to needle.

If you want a natural fiber than I think the easiest is wool. Hobbs
makes a great one. Ok, well silk is really easy but much more
expensive.

For cotton....the lightest Quilters Dream or Hobbs 80/20 are what I
generally end up with. Cotton is really the toughest to hand quilt
through many people just love cotton so they choose one with a light
weight and no scrim.

marcella
Old December 21st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

[...]

I'll echo everything Marcella says, but I just want to add one little
hint. If you do decide to go with Hobbs 80/20 (which I love, but I'll
readily admit that poly and wool -- haven't tried silk yet -- are much
easier), presoaking it according to the package instructions makes it
quite a bit easier to needle.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old December 23rd 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle

I don't know what the best batting is, but I can recommend that if you use a
poly batting, be sure that it is bonded. Before we knew the difference
between bonded and unbonded, my mom used an unbonded poly bat and now the
quilt is bearding. AUUUGGHH!
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

Old December 24th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

teleflora wrote:
Wool. It's like it's not even there. I can't get enough of that stuff.

Cindy

"joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska" wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm thinking of teaching a hand quilting class this spring at Country
Sampler (Papillion NE). What would you recommend as a batting? My Mom
used the cheapest, thinnest poly bat she could find at Walmart and made
beautiful quilts. I'd prefer something cotton and easier to work with.
(That poly is a stinker to spread out evenly over the quilt top and
back.) I've used Hobbs 80/20. I'm using the lightest Dream Cotton on
my current project and it's okay. Is there something better?

tia,
joan

Absolutely. The needle slips through it like butter. I did my last one
with wool batting and now am totally spoiled.

Sherry

Old December 24th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I have used the Hobbs Poly-Down for both hand and machine quilting and
never had any trouble with it bearding, even with dark colored fabric.
I'm now hooked on Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 for both hand and machine
quilting; it quilts quite easily by hand, though perhaps not quite as
easily as the Poly-Down.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

good question Val Sewing 2 September 27th 06 04:37 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
Newbie question - drilling stones Polly Stewart Jewelry 0 January 11th 05 07:21 AM
Needle Hitching Question Jason Lowe Knots 2 November 11th 03 08:02 PM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM